DVLA FOI request for complete list of cars I have owned

Options
Tragen
Tragen Posts: 277 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
I wonder if anyone has done this?

I would like to know what information the DVLA holds on me, in particular, every car I have owned (at least 20) and when, just because I cannot remember some of the registrations and would like to look them up.

I am currently living in Peru, so I guess my real question is, will I have a problem receiving the information?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strange question, contact the DVLA .
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

I guess a subject access request is appropriate. Not sure if this would come back with what you want though.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    They wont be able to provide a list of all the vehicles you have owned, but they might be able to provide a list of those you've been the registered keeper of.
  • Tragen
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Strange question, contact the DVLA .

What do you think is strange about it? :)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    The DPA may prevent them from releasing personal data outside the UK.

Registered keeper info is not cross-referenced to driving licences, so you'd need to provide all your addresses over the period in question, with dates. And, almost certainly, some proof of ID. Even then, they may not keep the data beyond a few years.
  • Tragen
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    provide all your addresses over the period in question, with dates. And, almost certainly, some proof of ID.

Thanks that is a useful suggestion.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    Tragen wrote: »
    What do you think is strange about it? :)

I just do, due to data retention policy, I doubt they would keep data longer than necessary.
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2018 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I just do, due to data retention policy, I doubt they would keep data longer than necessary.

So do I. As well as that, I doubt they have the ability to mine the data even if they have it. You would need a unique identifier (such as your driving licence number) to be associated with the vehicles that have been registered to you. And there is no such identifier.

If your name is Joe Bloggs there must be thousands of "Joe Bloggs" on their database so they cannot identify your vehicles from that. Similarly with your address (even if you have only the one) and your Date of Birth. They might be able to narrow you down with your name, address and date of birth, but that's by no means a certainty and i expect they would simply decline to try.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So do I. As well as that, I doubt they have the ability to mine the data even if they have it. You would need a unique identifier (such as your driving licence number) to be associated with the vehicles that have been registered to you. And there is no such identifier.

If your name is Joe Bloggs there must be thousands of "Joe Bloggs" on their database so they cannot identify your vehicles from that. Similarly with your address (even if you have only the one) and your Date of Birth. They might be able to narrow you down with your name, address and date of birth, but that's by no means a certainty and i expect they would simply decline to try.

But your date of birth isn’t on a V5.
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    But your date of birth isn!!!8217;t on a V5

Indeed it is not Andy. Thanks for finding a hole in my "thinking out loud".

Yet further doubt that what the OP wants can be accomplished.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure