DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Thanatos
    Thanatos Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your answer Thanatos. Yes, that makes sense to me. You are right, there was an increase in my last award, from Higher Rate Mobility for 2 years, to HRM and Lower Rate Care for 3 years.

If someone's health were to improve slightly (mainly 'cos I'm no longer trying to hold down a full time job, having been dismissed on the grounds of my ill health), would that automatically mean that my DLA would be removed this time? Bearing in mind that as soon as I try to increase my activity levels my pain levels and the tiredness rocket, so actually I'm not really any better as such just doing less to compensate.

I'm not expecting a definitive answer here, just a general guide - i understand that you're not doing this in an official capacity so I wouldn't take anything you say as binding on DWP.

Tricky queston - and not one I can answer definitivly based on the info you have supplied. In gerneral though, getting better will not automatically mean a removal of all DLA benefit, it may be reduced, it may be changed from a long term to a short term award and it may also mean totally removing it etc etc.

However, if you can do things one day, but that means you are really bad the next day, you need to explain that in the free hand boxes as if you simply tick yes you can do it with no explination its not going to help the DM understand the full extent of your problems - by the same token, putting you cant do anything may make the DM suspicious of your claim. Try to go overboard on the info you provide.
  • Thanatos
    Options
    steve-kaz wrote: »
    Hi
    My wifes dla is up for renewal her present claim ends early january 2009, at the moment she receives (hrm) and (lrc) my first question is this if the dm were to reduce or even decline the renewal would that take immediate affect
    or would it still run till the renewal date ?.
    my second question is if the dm were to increase the care conponant would it increase immediatly or from the renewal date ?

My wifes renewal claim has now been at blackpool for 8 weeks yesterday she
    received a letter to say they had writen to her gp how much longer do you think it will take as my wife has a car on motability and if it is'nt sorted out
    i assume the car will have to be returned, do you think it should be sorted in time?

thanks steve :confused:

Ok, dinners ready so short answer only :D

Part one: If they keep in the same then it runs from the renewal date, if they increase it then from the day day they recieved the claim pack. If they reduce it (probably) from the date of renewal and if they remove it entirely (probably) from the date of the renewal - eg it runs until current award expires.
    Its only exceptional cases (rare!) where thats any different.

Part 2: You will be fine - The Mota sections currently have one of the best statistics for turnaround times and last report that came out had only 4 cases that were out of payment so chances are you will be fine. Best thing you can do is hassle your GP to return the report asap - as thats what can hold up a claim... but if you have waited 8 weeks so far, if wont be long before your case is pulled out and handed to a DM who specifically targets old cases.
  • Thanatos
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    :D Welcome to MSE Thanatos :D
    I have a quick question please with regards to my sons new award.His current award runs to 26/12/08 is for MRC and LRMob he's been awarded HRC and HRM to start when this award runs out,which we are more than grateful for but just wondered why it didn't start from now? Thanks very much for helping us out on here in your own free time it's much appreciated :T

Ok, chances are the date of this award is wrong. It might not be, if for example your son has an increase in his needs recently - you have to have the need for 3 months before you qualify (6 months for AA) so if for example he got worse last month, this would explain the reason it wont go up until december, but unless thats happened, I would challenge the date by asking for a reconsideration. (it will get back dated if its wrong)
  • somebody_else
    Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    .. .by the same token, putting you cant do anything may make the DM suspicious of your claim. Try to go overboard on the info you provide.
    Oh, I wouldn't do that, but understand why you've written it. As with a lot of disabled people, some days are better than others, and at times I can do a reasonable amount, other days it's all I can do to do the absolute basics. I try, as much as I can, to be fairly objective about it all, but I'm not sure I succeed all the time.

I have been keeping a diary for the past 6 months (I don't keep it all the time as i just find it too depressing (not to mention time and energy consuming) to keep writing it all down all the time, but I do appreciate the time you're taking to answer all our questions.

:beer:
    s/e
  • annamc75
    annamc75 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to help us all understand DLA and AA. I have a couple of questions please if you might be able to help.

My aunt is 58 and for the past 15 years has been in bad health - this has been misdiagnosed and mistreated by the NHS but it is some sort of digestive problem (they still havent given it a proper name but over the years it has been diagnosed as crohns, colitis, suspected bowel cancer, ibs to name a few). She also suffered a huge benign brain tumour 4 years ago and although it was removed it has left her with some level of brain damage.

When applying for dla it is very difficult to measure what she needs help with as she has "vacant spells" - examples of these can be getting the bus into town to do something - getting there and then getting the bus straight back without doing anything or starting something on the hob and then just wandering away. It is so difficult to say when these periods will happen and because of that she is reluctant to speak to her GP about it. Her check ups show that there is no brain tumour returning. We notice these spells more than she does and unless there is some enevitable outcome - like burning a pan - then she doesnt know she has done anything out of the ordinary.

At the moment she gets low rate mobility I believe but I cant help thinking that she might want to have this looked at again.

Thoughts or pointers would be gladly recieved.

Anna x
    £10 per day Challenge (Oct)

£175 in paypal
    £15 from consumer pulse
    £5 M&S Voucher - thanks to direct line quote
  • lasor
    lasor Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanatos...
    No questions here just a very big thank you for your time in this thread. You are an absalute star.. Thanks Again :beer:
  • Thanatos
    Options
    annamc75 wrote: »
    Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to help us all understand DLA and AA. I have a couple of questions please if you might be able to help.

My aunt is 58 and for the past 15 years has been in bad health - this has been misdiagnosed and mistreated by the NHS but it is some sort of digestive problem (they still havent given it a proper name but over the years it has been diagnosed as crohns, colitis, suspected bowel cancer, ibs to name a few). She also suffered a huge benign brain tumour 4 years ago and although it was removed it has left her with some level of brain damage.

When applying for dla it is very difficult to measure what she needs help with as she has "vacant spells" - examples of these can be getting the bus into town to do something - getting there and then getting the bus straight back without doing anything or starting something on the hob and then just wandering away. It is so difficult to say when these periods will happen and because of that she is reluctant to speak to her GP about it. Her check ups show that there is no brain tumour returning. We notice these spells more than she does and unless there is some enevitable outcome - like burning a pan - then she doesnt know she has done anything out of the ordinary.

At the moment she gets low rate mobility I believe but I cant help thinking that she might want to have this looked at again.

Thoughts or pointers would be gladly recieved.

Anna x

Hmmm... this is a tricky one, firstly you mention she is reluctant to speak to the doctor about this - well from a DLA point of view, if you are thinking about asking to get the claim looked at again it is imperitive the doctor knows all about this aspect of her condition as if we write to him and ask, and he replys he is not aware of the problem, it will not help the claim one little bit.

As far as the spells are concerned, it would be very dependent on how often they occur and how much danger is she is when they do occur. It is very unlikely she would get any extra mobility component, as regardless of how much supervision she requires outside its only lower rate. The only thing she could fall under is "The act of walking causes her harm" but I think it very unlikely this could be proved to be the case most of the time...

And its most of the time that causes a problem with the care side too. It might be possible in conjunction with her other ailments too, but without the full details I cant really advise much more than that - I suggest giving it a go and applying for more. If she is only on lower rate mobility at the moment, I would think it unlikely that would be taken from her based on what you have told me so far.

Sorry, that wasnt much help was it... :(
  • Thanatos
    Options
    lasor wrote: »
    Thanatos...
    No questions here just a very big thank you for your time in this thread. You are an absalute star.. Thanks Again :beer:
    Cheers :) I must admit, I didnt think this thread would be as busy as it has been!

I am away next week, so will have to put things on hold unless the hotel has the internet! :D
  • jetcat
    jetcat Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Cheers :) I must admit, I didnt think this thread would be as busy as it has been!

I am away next week, so will have to put things on hold unless the hotel has the internet! :D

think it shows how much confusion there is surrounding meeting the criteria for dla!

i too would like to offer my thanks, not only for the excellent thread, but also for kindly repsonding to my pm :beer:

have a good holiday!
  • Thorntonone
    Options
    My thanks also go out to Thanatos, i an in the middle of filling out a claim form for DLA a daunting task i can tell you. i take it a little at a time untill i get to a question that i feel is difficult to answer, then it's time for a break.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure