Balance transfer of 5k

Options
For years I've been a credit card tart, and always managed to clear my balance before the 0% ends. This time around unfortunately, although planned, I will have around 5k left to pay so I am going to attempt a balance transfer. My credit history is good, I don't default on anything, I'm a home owner, on the electerol role etc. With a rough combined income of 50k, so my eligibility is good.

My question is, how do I know if anyone will give a credit limit to accommodate the transfer I need? Most advertise a limit of £1200. From experience I know tesco and sainsburys have higher limits (I'm with sainsburys now), and I've always had much lower limits with others.

TIA😘

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Generally you don't know. £1200 is the standard amount used so deals can be compared - it bears no relation to what you might be offered. Anything you can swap to 0% is better than nothing so accept what you get offered - so many people reject offers of cards with less than the full amount they were after which is silly. You can always try 1 more application if you don't get offered enough.
    There are a couple of providers that give some indication but I don't know which they are.
    Tesco has always offered me the lowest - I got £18k from Barclaycard when Tesco only gave £4500
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £1200 is a representative example and is used for ease to work out balances/interest over a 12/24/36 etc month period.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another one to try would be Virgin, I was given an £11,000 limit when I applied to them
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another one to try would be Virgin, I was given an £11,000 limit when I applied to them

It's still entirely circumstantial though
  • indigo_child
    Options
    Ah, thank you everyone. I was hoping it was the case that it wasn't a max limit, wasn't sure if there was some personilastion going on with the calculators.

It does seem a bit silly that they make you play this guessing game though :/

Also I'm being dim, is it 2 rolls of the dice per card, or 2 applications to any card before you trash your credit rating?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah, thank you everyone. I was hoping it was the case that it wasn't a max limit, wasn't sure if there was some personilastion going on with the calculators.

£1200 is so they can all give you the same figures to make it easier to make a balanced judgement on what it will cost you.

They will not be able to give you a figure without a hard credit check. As each lender has it's own criteria, which will change over time given their need for new customers.
    Life in the slow lane
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It’s not a guessing game.

Some lenders will give you an estimated limit pending final checks.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    For years I've been a credit card tart,

Also I'm being dim, is it 2 rolls of the dice per card, or 2 applications to any card before you trash your credit rating?
    Considering that you say you have been a 'credit card tart' for years you appear surprisingly lacking in credit card knowledge.
    Were you told your credit limit before you applied in your previous applications?
    Did you get a credit limit in excess of £1200 in your previous applications? You presumably have one now if you want to do a balance transfer for £5000.
    Quite why you would wish to make two applications for any one card (i.e. a second application immediately after a rejection) is beyond me. If you get rejected apply elsewhere.
    You wont 'trash your credit ratinbg'. However, multiple applications in a short space of time can make you look desparate for credit and may decrease your chances of acceptance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure