Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    I suspect the surplus won't be that great as airports seem to be great consumers of power.

I've taken a couple of GA flights from Bournemouth in the last year, and it's not until you're up at 2000' that you realise how many solar farms there are around there. But we could certainly do with more on roofs.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great for charging electric planes in the future too, :D and silent night time operations to improve the economics of the airport whilst allowing the residents of Rhoose to sleep. But then of course battery storage would be needed, and more PV, win win.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Green Co-operative Energy4All announce new Solar share offer.
    The seven volunteer Directors have all pledged to invest a minimum of £20,350 each based on a 5% return per annum which forms the basis of the offer. So for those of us fortunate enough to have some spare capital then why not consider helping reduce energy poverty, maintain stable energy prices for the foreseeable future and see a return better than savings accounts can match in the current climate.
    Risk factors are explained on Page 6 of the 28 page invitation.
    Energise South’s share offer sets out an exciting opportunity to become part of the mission to make the South Coast zero carbon by 2030, by installing solar panels on schools, colleges, faith and community buildings, and local businesses.
    Energise South are looking to raise £400,000 initially from this offer.
    • Minimum investment £50
    • Maximum investment £30,000
    • Projected return 5%
    https://energy4all.co.uk/
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    So for those of us fortunate enough to have some spare capital then why not consider helping reduce energy poverty, maintain stable energy prices for the foreseeable future and see a return better than savings accounts can match in the current climate.

Thanks for that, I find these schemes really interesting, and of course a reasonable investment alternative.

But, pondering out loud, it occurred to me (with Xmas coming up), that there could be an opportunity of charitable gifts, such as investments on behalf of others (not necessarily in this scheme, just a ponder at this point). Probably already exists, but perhaps a solar scheme in poor African areas - just for a generalisation.

Still just pondering out loud, but RE, AGW, waste, recycling etc etc is discussed in schools more and more, so could parents suggest to their kidiwinks, that they forgo one family fortnight in Florida, and pop PV on the roof instead, which will displace roughly one average UK home's leccy for 25+ years.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Options
    Green Co-operative Energy4All announce new Solar share offer.
    https://energy4all.co.uk/

Interesting idea, but noticed that the 5% income relies partly on the FIT scheme that ended earlier this year!
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Interesting idea, but noticed that the 5% income relies partly on the FIT scheme that ended earlier this year!
    Hi ASavvyBuyer, thanks for your interest. I think you will find your concern covered on page 4 of the invitation. See below.
    Energise South has been working with ESC to pre-register over 30 buildings in the Sussex and Kent area with the intention to
    work with the owners to install Solar Panels on each roof top. The Society has agreements in place to install Solar Panels on the
    first 5 of the pre-registered sites (including the largest, a proposed 220kW array at The St Leonards Academy which will be one of
    the largest community owned solar roofs in the United Kingdom) which will be funded by the proceeds of this Share Offer.
    If anything, I think the pre registration of FIT should give even greater confidence to the successful outcome of the project!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi ASavvyBuyer, thanks for your interest. I think you will find your concern covered on page 4 of the invitation. See below.
    If anything, I think the pre registration of FIT should give even greater confidence to the successful outcome of the project!

I hadn’t realised you could pre register FiT. Could individuals have done that to beat the 31 March 2019 deadline?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    I hadn’t realised you could pre register FiT. Could individuals have done that to beat the 31 March 2019 deadline?

Nope. It only applied to to the 'bigger' boys and girls as deployment could take a longer time after deciding to proceed, and hence basing financial decisions against a moving target was seen as detrimental to such PV deployment.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Loads of info on the solar and solar + storage market in the US. The title gives a good summary:

US Solar Panel Prices Continue Dropping, Solar+Storage Increasing — Tracking The Sun Report

• Martyn1981
    Options
    If I've done my maths right, this article suggests a 30% improvement in solar panel economies in just the next 15 months .... nice!

Solar will power ahead to offer 20% more output for 25% lower module costs within 15 months

Solar + storage to handle peaks, perhaps?

Phoenix summer peak load to be tackled with major solar-plus-storage project
    Phoenix-based community utility Salt River Project (SRP) is to build the largest solar-plus-storage project in the southwestern US state of Arizona, just as an historic coal plant is put to rest.

Two new solar and battery projects, to be owned and operated by subsidiaries of NextEra Energy Resources, will help the utility reduce emissions and tackle the summer peak load using the battery storage technology. The investment makes SRP one of the largest energy storage investors in the country and the firm claims that it is continuing “aggressively pursuing renewable generation”.

The Sonoran Energy Center will have a 250MW solar array charging a 1GWh energy storage system in Little Rainbow Valley, south of Buckeye. Meanwhile, the Storey Energy Center will include 88MW of solar alongside an energy storage system scheduled to be built south of Coolidge.

Combined, the plants will generate enough solar energy to power approximately 100,000 homes.

And big solar targets from the Green Party:

The Green Party launches manifesto, including solar for 10 million homes by 2030
    The Green Party has launched its manifesto, including a pledge to invest £12 billion a year into renewables and to fit one million solar panels on homes per year.

The Manifesto builds on the party’s pledge to spend £100 billon a year over the next decade in climate action, as part of its Green New Deal.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback