PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2016 at 4:10PM
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Nursemaggie

Would double sided sticky tape help to anchor them?

Or Velcro, glued to the walls and either glued or stitched to the curtains?

Oh monnagran, just seen your post. What an awful thing, the poor lady :( and your poor DIL.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Amazon has blackout window shades that aren't terribly expensive. With curtains this might help.

DD1 redid her kitchen and had the leaky sagging roof totally rebuilt. The walls are adobe and when the cabinets were removed there was extensive water damage behind them so they had to be extensively reinforced. She had not expected the cost of shoring up the walls so when the old cooling system was removed, it was going to be so expensive to replace and route throughout the house that she couldn't afford to have it done at this time.
    Last night it was 90F (32C) in the bedroom when she was getting the baby to sleep. :eek:
    It generally is not so hot there in Albuquerque. This is unusual. She is going to have to get a window unit!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear we are having bad news, light round windows is nothing. Anyway not allowed to stick anything to walls or fix anything anywhere until we have been in the flat a year. Another 7 months to go yet.

Just called the housing association about workmen keep putting work surfaces against my meter cupboard. Not been able to read the meter for last two months. Think it was a waste of time and money as they sound as if they will take so long to investigate they will have gone by then.

monnaSo sorry to hear about your DIL's mother. Here's hoping they will find it quickly and be able to do something about it. There is always hope with newer treatments coming out every few months. Mine was massive but they have been able to stop it growing again. Thus the reason to keep having scans again.

milasavesmoneySorry to hear about your DD's house. I hope the heatwave goes soon.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do they call it pvc any more Monnagran, or is it pleather?

Sorry to hear your news, hopefully they ca n do something for her with surgery. Such bad news for her to come home to.

Milasavesmoney, hope your DD gets some AC soon. We had to make that our first priority here, I get more than cranky in heat and refuse to cook. So it would have been useless for us to do the kitchen first!

Achy here. Am doing all of my physio diligently to ensure I can carry on moving rocks. Generally 20 mins physio and a strong coffee and I get going again. Moved about a cubic metre of gravel yesterday and installed 14 metres of garden edging and weed matting. Need to install 26m of weed matting today and move the rest of the gravel. Onwards and.. er.. onwards :D
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Mileasavesmoney my friend in Phoenix talks about a "swamp cooler" - what on earth is that?
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    mar it looks like an air-conditioning unit from the first pics I found on Google :)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A quick update. DIL's mother had a 5 hour operation yesterday and had come through it well as far as we know. DIL has just departed to stay near the hospital so she is on hand for visiting her mother and supporting fer father, a terrific man but typically uptight, reserved, stiff upper lipped and British! He didn't want anyone with him but was pathetically pleased when DIL said he could protest all he liked but she was on her way.
    The situation is not improved by the fact that DIL's parents are having their kitchen remodelled and it is at present just a shell. Talk about everything happening at once.

Soooooo..... DS and I are left in charge of the house, the 3 year old and the dog. Don't know what is the most frightening.

Softstuff. I've never heard of 'pleather' but I like it. Doesn't have quite the tawdry connotation of PVC but I'm sure Hester can work on that.

Am now off to survey the wreckage of my house and weep.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Drat Monna. Sorry to read that upset has arrived at your door again and so sad to read of such awfulness about the thread on my catch up. Life is a real pig sometimes.

All is OK here. Both DDs can now swim and they are on the Brownie/Guide waiting list with both getting a place in Sept. Eldest had only just started Scouts before we had to leave the old life and was very upset so we've held off going down that route until they were settled.

We had to visit the on all GP last week as youngest was kicked in the nose at school. I wouldn't know a broken nose so asked for help considering the bleeding and quick bruising on the bridge. No broken nose but given the knowledge.of the GP and the effects of all my meds eldest is considering GP as a career again. Youngest wants to work with animals and has expressed a wish to go to agricultural college. Both girls are so different and look to have such different loves ahead of them. All I can do is support them both.

Speaking of which there has been absolutely no communication with school re: dyslexia. Both DDs eye test came back as not needing glasses. I have penned another letter to school for tomorrow as DD has been upset that a teaching assistant warned her that she would go in the detention room again if she didn't finish her writing in time again. Whatever happens I will.stamp out that strategy! DD can see about 3x more with a pink overlay so I have just taken delivery of pink times glasses for her to see if that will help.worh writing too. Of i get no where with this second letter I will take both letters to the Local Authority myself.

Volunteering is just the ticket. I adore it but it leaves me shattered of an evening so I have got a 7 day meal planner going again. I do need burgers in buns salad and a jar chicken curry rice and naan on days I'm out of the house. Hopefully I will be able to come up with something better than jar in the future.

Sour dough attempts are very frustrating! I have been buying expensive 'artisan' loaves because they are so much better for my tum but van I 'eck make a decent loaf myself. It will come.... hopefully!

Strawberry and rasps are doing wonderfully! Also the brambles at the bottom are doing well.y Brussels and cabbage are doing well as are by purple.sprouting. I have lost all but one tomato plants and something gets.my peas before they.evem get a chance to get going! Love growing and going to replant rasp.suckers and strawberry runners in pots to take with me if/when we move.

Crocheting two blankets for autumn. Both ate crochet moss stitch
    One being delicate and expensive wool and the.second chunky cheap wool. That is a filler for.when I use up.my wool budget on the good stuff. ;) I have also tried my hand at a small quilt foru house rabbit's base. Such hard work and a labour of love for.a perfectionist. I enjoyed it as such but I have souch to learn.y girls complement me on my sewing machine skills but honestly I'm rubbish. Still, I seem to be inspiring them so I'm not saying g anything to the contrary! Haha

Last thing. We are tentatively thinking about letting a pup back into our lives. The pain, sadness and guilt of having to let Alfie go will never ever leave us. We were selfish and moved even though Alfie couldn't come with us to the new house and will always brat ourselves up for that but time has healed somewhat and 2 and a half years later we are nearing ready. We are researching breeds because we want to get it right. We are thinking golden retriever. I don't see us moving forward until the autumn winter,. If it still feels the right thing to do.

Oh. Very last thing l have cashed in my cash back from top cash back so now on the hunt for some quality winter boots. I'm hoping to get some cheaper in the summer.

Sorry for the typos. I have lost.my phone so getting used to a different one. Take care all :)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Monna, sorry about your news.

So you are all casting aspersions on my fabric of choice, I'll have you know that pvc goes really well with vacuuming and hanging out the washing. It may also help me find a garden lover like Softstuff!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    Thank you for the update monna. I hope the op will enable her to walk again eventually and that the other cancer is operable too.

Fuddle How lovely to hear from you :j Sorry though that poor DD1 is still having problems at school, what a ridiculous system! I really hope the pink glasses will help, bless her.

A simple chicken curry I make is; Chicken thighs, chopped up (the recipe says 4 thighs for 4 people, but I usually use about 6, depending how big they are); an onion, thinly sliced; 2 cloves of garlic, crushed; 2 tablespoons of curry paste (our favourite is the Patak's Balti one. You can vary the amount according to taste); 1 can of tomatoes; chicken stock, about 400ml (I use a cube, or some Knorr Stockpot).

Cook the onion in a little oil until soft.
    Add the meat and brown it.
    Add the curry paste and crushed garlic, and cook,stirring, for one minute.
    Add the tomatoes and stock, stir it in/mix it all up! Then cook for about 20 minutes.
    You can stir in some spinach at the end if you like.
    If we have a whole roast chicken I tend to make this with the leftover dark meat.
    The first time I made it, it seemed to take forever getting it all ready and cooking it, but now I just sort of throw it together without having to think about it.
    It's a nice compromise when you're tired and short of time, between using a jar and grinding the spices yourself.

I do use a jar on bad days though :D and am very glad they exist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure