Bensons for beds & faulty mattress

Options
Purchased a new mattress (cost over £1000) in July and after 3 months there is 'settlement' creating 3cm dips each side.
FIRA were sent out told me that was 'normal' for a mattress of this age, which we never had with our old mattress which lasted 5 years before any dipping and was half the price.
On the report they lied and said they laid on the bed which they didn't. Being from their bespoke range we were lead to believe the guarantee would cover any 'dipping' but apparently this isn't

I've been told I can arrange my own independent inspection, at my cost but if they find a fault this cost might be reimbursed.
On informing Bensons I am going to get another inspection they have now told me that unless i use one of their pre-approved companies then they won't accept the report from someone else as, in there words 'we've come across some less than scrupulous inspectors'
They also want the company name and date arranged for before the inspection takes places

They are only giving two pre approved inspectors one of which has done their assessment and lied on the report which leaves only one other, which works with them. I assume I'm not being thick in thinking this is therefore not an independent choice as they are saying if I don't use there company choice they won't accept the report.

I have sent an email back saying how I disagree with having to choose from their list as this means it's not me arranging it with an independent company. How do I know they will not influence the company as they expect to know times/dates etc

This has been dragging on for months. We are waking in pain as the mattress is now so uncomfortable and most nights my husband sleeps on the sofa as he says it's more comfortable (which it is)

What would be my next step to resolve this?

Surely dips of 3 cm in less than 6 months is not right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss with what to do next

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can use your own independent inspector then if they refuse to refund just take them to court. (Bill them for inspection cost too...)

A 3cm dip in 6 months is ridiculous!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • vikeogilby
    Options
    Apparently if I don’t use one of their pre approved inspectors then they won’t accept the report
    Now waiting on their email response which can take upto 10 days 😡
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If they won't accept the report, take them to court ... I'm sure the judge would accept the report, and could find Benson's refusal to accept it as unreasonable behaviour.
  • ChrisXX
    Options
    Any updates on this, I am in a similar situation
    vikeogilby wrote: »
    Apparently if I don’t use one of their pre approved inspectors then they won’t accept the report
    Now waiting on their email response which can take upto 10 days 😡
  • vikeogilby
    Options
    I told them I was going to arrange my own and citizens advice said I don't have to disclose who I'm using.
    I used home serve, even though it was one of there approved people but don't tell them when your having the assessment done.
    The guy hadn't got in our room and could see it was faulty.
    Got the report the next day, submitted to bensons and they said could choose a replacement as legally you have to let them to pair or replace once before you can get the refund.
    The amount of issues still happening is another thread entirely ��
    Today after getting legal advice I threatened them with a small claims court and now they are bending over backwards, but doubt this will last
    I took a photo of the 'settlement' allowances they use for mattress inspections and ours was showing for the age of a 12-36 months mattress after less than 6 months

I would avoid bensons for beds at all costs as they have the worst customer service, never answer the phone, cut you off if your lucky to get through and don't follow the consumer rights laws
  • Blondetotty
    Options
    Settlement tolerances depend on the type of bed but on the Homeserve manual I've copied they are Ordinary/Sprung mattress 3cm, memory 3cm and pillowtop 3.5cm. This is for mattresses between 6 and 12 months old. 0-6 months are 2.5, 2.5 and 3cm respectively. The chart goes up to 12-24, 24-36 and 36-60 months. I'd question one that gives 12 months the same as 36 months
  • vikeogilby
    Options
    Sorry put the wrong thing in.
    I got confused with what the companies inspector told me, obviously when they were trying to get out of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure