Unused Credit Cards

Options
A_Frayed_Knot
A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 22 January 2020 at 6:45PM in Credit cards
Going through mountainous paperwork and found a few C/C that have never been used (probably when opening an account with the bank they asked if I wanted one !!!) and just took it, another
the 0% finished but still sent me a new one. A bit green when it comes to C/C's.

I do have C/C that I do use carefully :) but was wondering whether its any way harmful to
my credit rating to have more cards than I need and use.

Should I get rid of all I do not need and use? Or is there some advantage to having these cards
(not on 0%) which is why they are never used.
Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19

Comments

• yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It might be good to keep them (nice concise answer). The reasons include that long credit agreements (accounts open a long time) demonstrate stability. The total credit availability across all your cards and loans is also a thing, and ideally you want to have a low utilisation as a % of total credit - so having more cards can, possibly, make that percentage lower. Having said that, ideally you would be using them all even just for a small transaction each month, which you wait for the statement then pay in full. But they probably aren't hurting anything.

One small thing to note is that if your total availability is rather high compared with your income, this can sometimes make lenders wary.

Are you planning on taking out a loan, a new credit agreement, or a mortgage in the near future?
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Thanks yksi,

Not thinking about a loan, or mortgage :think: :D just cleared my mortgage end of 2018 :)but may think about a balance transfer or new card with 0% for a nice long period.

Nothing decided yet.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've now accumulated 15 (yes, that's right, 15) credit cards. Three are used regularly, one has just come off the 0% deal and has yet to be used, and I use each of the rest once every six months for a small purchase (keeping a record to ensure I use them). I just can't seem to get rid of them :j
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    I'm thinking along the lines, the C/C's that are not on 0% are only good for small purchases as you pay within the month.

I have one C/C on 0% but all money to pay this is in the bank. I just pay the 1% plus a little extra each month.

So thought if I go for another 0% C/C then the amount available would not be as much as I have the limits on the cards I do not use. If I didn't have them, then the amount available to me, would be more (if that makes sense). Plus I do not earn as much as I used to due to going part time now.

Am I thinking along the correct lines?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport