Comments

• A_vasquez26
    Options
    Thanks Gerry! this is much appreciated!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming you don't have gas, similar reasoning applies to your immersion heater(s). There may be one at the bottom of the tank on a 7h supply and a top-up one higher up on the 24h supply with a switch marked 'Boost' or whatever. Needless to say, the Boost switch should only be used for a quick top-up if things have gone wrong !

Alternatively, a cheapskate solution may have just one immersion heater on the 24 supply with a local timeswitch. If it's a mechanical one similar to this it's not good news because a power cut can leave you paying peak rates for months if you don't spot it.
    d983ed6f-4e16-4426-9396-1d8c3fe5b438.jpg
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Post 80's regulations are "PartL" all uFloor/ceiling/night store LA/HA standards of.cheap rate/auto on off/ radio signal triggered. Water controller became de facto standard.

There sure can be many silly interpretations/wiring/updrades/even people still on E10 or E7 without eHeaters that is still economic.

I'm E7 NSH use around 40 years. I have [CAC] an annual cost divided by 12 paid DD monthly every year since. I'ved used about 8500kWh per annum for around a decade which is @ 60%+ cheap/night and 30%- expensive day rate.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    A_vasquez26,

If its an E7 / E10 / or E anything spec it should already as stated above be PartL spec, due to the higher than normal storage temperatures the capability of the insulation to preserve the temperature of the water the type of insulation has a very very low standing heat-loss [one kW per day (kWh/24h) on a 125 litre cylinder] permissible thermal transfer rate from the 60mm of insulating foam, modern ones have the additional benefit of recessed immersions and thermostats to reduce even further energy wastage. All dual PartL cylinders have a top up facility [see below] and is usually operated by a standard 60 minute top-up water controller such as the Horstmann unit also shown below. I've never used or needed the 'top up' I've never used the 'boost flap on the NSH

If you do not touch the E15 boost controller and you get a tank of nice hot water every morning its still tele-switching on and off. You have check your online tariff and get 'cheaper rate electricity between 12:30am - 7:30am'. Have you got x2 elements top & bottom{above} both with wiring going somewhere and what is the somewhere they are going to ?
    Direct%20Cylinder%202x.jpg

HOR_e7quartz.jpg

The top element [top-up-day rate] will give a couple of big sinks of hot water when used, the bottom element [E7-night rate] will give a full bath and a couple of sinks of hot water. Heat loss is not linear to the volume of water, the bigger the mass the slower the loss rate, eg [figured below are 'ish' but about right] :

1 kW per day (kWh/24h) on a 125 litre cylinder
    1.5 kW per day (kWh/24h) on a 250 litre cylinder
    2 kW per day (kWh/24h) on a 300 litre cylinder
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Post 80's regulations are "PartL" all uFloor/ceiling/night store LA/HA standards of.cheap rate/auto on off/ radio signal triggered. Water controller became de facto standard.

There sure can be many silly interpretations/wiring/updrades/even people still on E10 or E7 without eHeaters that is still economic.

I'm E7 NSH use around 40 years. I have [CAC] an annual cost divided by 12 paid DD monthly every year since. I'ved used about 8500kWh per annum for around a decade which is @ 60%+ cheap/night and 30%- expensive day rate.
    In English, please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport