CIFAS Marker and Emigrating

Options
Hi

Long story short I have a cat 6 CIFAS marker.
I was just wondering would this have an effect if I was to emigrate in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2018 at 7:19AM
    Options
    donac wrote: »
    Hi

Long story short I have a cat 6 CIFAS marker.
    I was just wondering would this have an effect if I was to emigrate in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Emigrate to where ? Find out if that country would let you in with a cat 6 cifas marker.

Its only convictions you have to declare on application.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can't see how it would make the slightest of difference.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Unless the offence committed was linked with a criminal prosecution, it would not in itself impact the application of a VISA or other international permit to travel abroad.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • donac
    donac Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Would it not affect opening a bank account?
  • donac
    donac Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Would I still be able to open a bank account in that country?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you asked?
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a point of fact the credit history is usually limited to a country. For instance, Canadian credit history has nothing to do with US credit history. However, sometimes, certain banks would allow you to move credit history from one country to another; for instance, HSBC was happy to take into account credit history from Hong Kong when I've applied for a credit card in the UK.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    donac wrote: »
    Would it not affect opening a bank account?

It would in the UK, as banks check applications against fraud databases, the main one being the CIFAS register. If you reside abroad in future, CIFAS generally should not impact you. Although assuming you have learned from your past mistakes, the equivalent fraud prevention agency abroad shouldn't have a problem with you.

You would find it extremely difficult to open a bank account in this country with a Category 6 - First Party Fraud warning. This is one of the most serious categories, however in some cases, a bank may offer a basic account, with no overdraft; contactless; cheque book or any other facility on the account which isn't suitable for a fraudster.

The last remaining options if declined for a basic bank account would be a prepaid card, although companies like Monzo still perform soft searches and identity checks, which could still raise the fraud flag and cause them to refuse your application, although the chance of acceptance is much higher than with a high-street bank or creditor.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure