PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice requested on getting run down house ready to sell

Options
Hi All,
I need to sell my house, ideally in the very near future, but it is not in a great state. I would very much appreciate some advice on what would be best to do before putting it on the market.
There has been quite a bit of damage from water in the back wall, hopefully remedied by re-roofing and some repointing but still visible inside. There has also been water damage from a drain pipe outside which was not emptying properly into the street and this is visible on one of the internal walls. There has also been a party wall issue with water travelling from my garden under the wall and affecting my neighbour's wall (now resolved although I worry there may be outstanding damage next door). The house also needs decorating.
The damp proofing installed in the 90s was not covered by insured guarantee.
I am not sure where to start here, but I need to relocate soon. The house is in London zone 2/3, pretty nice area with good transport connections. Is it better just to decorate or should I sort out the damp proofing? I have limited funds and doubt my ability to borrow much. Is it ever OK to go with one of those house buying companies, if there are any that aren't total cowboys? I'm feeling pretty daunted by the whole prospect tbh and would love it if someone could give me a few pointers! With thanks in advance.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No its never a good idea to go with a house buying company. Why would you need to. If it were me I would repair the visible signs of the damage now rectified and stick it on the market as is, if its priced correctly then it will sell.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Phine66
    Options
    Hi Sammyjammy, thanks for replying. The appeal of house buying companies is simply because I'm pretty stressed and frazzled and want out quickly. Not good I know...

I'm worried about lack of insured damp proofing - do you think that needs sorting as well as visible signs of damage? Bit concerned it could affect mortgageability.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2018 at 4:52PM
    Options
    I wouldn't bother doing any remedial/cosmetic work if you really want a quick, hassle free sale.

Simply be realistic with the price and totally honest about the issues requiring attention, they'll be identified at the survey stage anyway leading to drawn out, protracted and quite possibly failed negotiations if you've tried to disguise them or overpriced it to begin with.

IF you're realistic with the price (properly realistic, reflecting both the condition of the house and your requirement for a quick sale), then you'll still get more than any ''house buying'' company will offer anyway.

And I wouldn't worry about the lack of insurance backed damp proofing from the 1990's... I doubt even the insurance backed ones would be valid after that length of time anyway!
  • KL0001
    KL0001 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Price!! Be realistic with the price and it!!!8217;ll sell. If you go with the house buying companies, it!!!8217;ll also sell, but for a much lower price than if you sell on the open market.

If you want to sell quickly, make it a bargain for someone but sell it as it is. Tell the estate agent you want it prices to sell! If you want to make a bit more, and have the time, do the remedial work to repair where was damaged by the damp.

We recently put our house on the market, we told the estate agent that although we!!!8217;d done all the major work, it needed the finishing touches doing and we just didn!!!8217;t have time. The EA put it up at a realistic price, although still a good price for us and we had a proceedable offer in under 24 hours.

A quick simple sale is all about pricing properly.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the root cause of the problems has been sorted, but decoration not, leave COPIES of the receipts/guarantees for the work on the kitchen table, and possibly a post it note at the site of the damage. Tell the agent doing the viewings to tell prospective buyers that selling price reflects the lack of decoration, but the problem is sorted.

Shouldn't cause a problem. Wouldn't make me blink, if I liked your house.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    If you really want to sell it quickly, get an offer from one of the 'house buying companies' and then market your house for 20% more.

It'll sell
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    Why not try putting it up for auction? At least that way once the hammer's gone down, you'll have the certainty of knowing that you will complete in 28 days- or you may even get sn offer prior.
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    Gwendo40 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother doing any remedial/cosmetic work if you really want a quick, hassle free sale.

Simply be realistic with the price and totally honest about the issues requiring attention, they'll be identified at the survey stage anyway leading to drawn out, protracted and quite possibly failed negotiations if you've tried to disguise them or overpriced it to begin with.

IF you're realistic with the price (properly realistic, reflecting both the condition of the house and your requirement for a quick sale), then you'll still get more than any ''house buying'' company will offer anyway.

And I wouldn't worry about the lack of insurance backed damp proofing from the 1990's... I doubt even the insurance backed ones would be valid after that length of time anyway!

Exactly that. We had similar issues with my deceased maiden aunts house. There were a number of issues which might have put off buyers. We sought advice about what it was worth in its current condition, discounted any EA who talked about 'potential to make this amount of money', knocked a bit off the mutually agreed current value to make it competitive and viable to sell quickly, , and insisted on the various flaws being listed on the sales info, along with a phrase making it clear this was priced as a project, not a house for immediate occupancy, and the price reflected this.

Result: plenty of viewings, 4 offers, 1 at asking price within 3 weeks and a sale that progressed smoothly because all the nasties were already in full view, not hidden.

Honesty and competitive pricing will see it sold.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't sound to me as if the house needs 'damp proofing.' it sounds as if the roof, pointing and drainpipe were causing problems, but have since been repaired. In which case the damage just wants redecorating (DIY job) and should not reappear.
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    Options
    Interview local EAs and price to sell. Don't bother with work as a purchaser will do most of it themselves.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport