British Gas boiler installation quote - full system

Options

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • rentalforever
    Options
    Finalised the deal with Hive Active Heating 2 included in the price.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Finalised the deal with Hive Active Heating 2 included in the price.

Sorry but your an idiot, the installation you paid 7k for is around 3-3.5k at most. If you can afford to waste 4k then that's up to you but BG have a terrible reputation.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Harsh calling someone a idiot, have you seen the OP house, it’s very easy to make assumptions and throw it should only cost £3-3.5k but they have had 2 quotes both over £5k which would suggest it’s not a straight forward job. I personally think it sounds high but without local companies quotes to gauge then who knows what complications there is. BG haven’t got a terrible reputation, there expensive but they certainly don’t have a bad reputation in my area.
  • Plumber90
    Plumber90 Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven’t even seen the job and I would happily do it for £4.5k.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Harsh calling someone a idiot, have you seen the OP house, it’s very easy to make assumptions and throw it should only cost £3-3.5k but they have had 2 quotes both over £5k which would suggest it’s not a straight forward job. I personally think it sounds high but without local companies quotes to gauge then who knows what complications there is. BG haven’t got a terrible reputation, there expensive but they certainly don’t have a bad reputation in my area.

Both NATIONAL companies that's the reason why the quotes are high, at a guess the salesman for BG will pocket around £1000 just for selling the job.
    As for BG reputation there's a thread on here in which photos were taken of a BG installation (contractor) and it was appalling, the poster on that that thread had to take them to court to get her money back.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    I’m not disputing that it’s high. I think it sounds high but it’s irrelevant without seeing the job as none of us knowing w how complex of a job it is.

Are you seriously saying they have a bad reputation based on a thread you seen on here, do you have any ideal how many boilers they fit every single day? Have you ever worked for BG? I have, everyone has it in there head that all they want is to sell boilers and power flushed, the engineer sells stuff to make money, it’s nonsense in the 10years before I left I was not once asked to sell something that wasn’t required or needed. Most sales calls I arranged for customer were either, the customer asked for it or there boiler had broke and was unrepairable. And as for the salesman getting £1k out of a £6.5k job, there is not a chance he will get anything like that.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Budget £1500 for extras, you will be paying them or they will stop work.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    And what are you basising allow £1500 for extras on, unless they’ve changed the policy recently then they provide fixed price quotes not estimates, if the salesman made a mistake and not quoted for gas pip upgrade, which was the most common thing they missed then it was just done and the salesman got the feedback.

Plumber90 I keep saying I think it’s high. BG will always be expensive, if the OP isn’t going to get a few local company quotes it’s hard to gauge the difficulty of the job. I really wish they got a couple of other quotes so we’d know.

People are so quick to slate them, most without ever using them, but the whole time I worked for them all the managers really worried about was the customer, there was the odd occasion when it went wrong but they have 1000s of engineers doing probably a average of 5 job a day, that is a lot of work.
  • rentalforever
    Options
    Asked three locals, 2 from Worcester-Bosch list and 1 from checkatrade:

1 couldn't be bothered to come out
    1 wanted to quote for a job where he wanted the easiest route for everything (e.g. wanted to leave piping exposed to avoid lifting up carpets) and saying scaffolding wouldn't be needed. Didn't inspire confidence that the job would be done properly
    1 came out to do a survey and said a ball park would be £5k but would come back to me with a formal quotation - that was a week ago and haven't heard from him since even though I've chased

As I've said to those who aren't a fan of BG, if they do a poor job they're a national installer and they won't be able to run away from the job. And yes the policy is if there are any extra things that crop up, they absorb the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure