Audio heads - good earphones & why my new ones aren't as good?

Options
JustAnotherSaver
JustAnotherSaver Posts: 6,709 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 15 April 2018 at 5:39PM in Techie Stuff
For a good number of years i've had the JVC marshmallow style earphones because i find they actually stay in the ears quite well, especially so at the gym & much prefer this design over say the crappy iPhone earphone design where they just sort of place in your ears but then fall out if you move your head at all (yes i know some will love that kind of design and obviously have no issue with it, but they don't work for me).

I had the JVC HA-FX35 earphones which i was very happy with ... until my wife trapped them in the car door & they were never the same since :rotfl:

http://www.us.jvc.com/archive/headphones/inearearbud/ha_fx35/
HA-FX35

Headphones

Driver Unit 0.33"(8.5mm)
Magnet type Neodymium
Frequency Response 8-23,000Hz
Nominal Impedance 16ohms
Sensitivity 102dB/1mWMax.
Input Capability 200mW(IEC)
Cord Length 3.94ft(1.2m)
Weight (without cord) 0.11oz (3.2g)
Plug iPhone compatible, Gold plated
Accessory 2 size memory foam earpieces
Apparently they're $60 now. They were only about £9.99 when i bought them years ago.

Anyway so i was looking for a similar set and thought since my old set cost me around £10 many years ago i'll pay a similar amount & they'll be just as good right?

So I got the JVC HA-FX32 ones

http://www.us.jvc.com/headphones/in_ear/ha_fx32/
HA-FX32

Headphones

Driver Unit 11mm
Magnet type Neodymium
Frequency Response 8-20000Hz
Nominal Impedance 16ohms
Sensitivity 98dB/1mWMax.
Input Capability 200mW (IEC)
Cord Length 3.94ftWeight (without cord)0.12oz
Plug iPhone compatible, Gold plated
Accessory 2 size memory foam earpieces
I don't know what all these numbers mean but these new ones (the FX32s) are just not as good.
To explain further - the bass in the 35s was much better. The sound was quite solid whereas the sound in the 32s is more 'tinny'. It isn't like 'in a bathroom' sound but the quality is noticeably different to me.

Just i don't know why. So from the specs can you see why it'd be?

Also i'm not tied to JVC, can anyone recommend (this style of earphone) a good set of earphones with good sound quality?

NOTE: As i said, i much prefer the 'in your ear' bud style that actually stays IN your ear.

If the suggestions look anything like the earphones in this link: http://estoretronics.com/3-5mm-wired-headsets/1993-35mm-earphones-headset-mic-remote-for-apple-and-other-phones.html then they'll be no good to me as they just fall out.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know what all these numbers mean but these new ones (the FX32s) are just not as good.
    To explain further - the bass in the 35s was much better. The sound was quite solid whereas the sound in the 32s is more 'tinny'. It isn't like 'in a bathroom' sound but the quality is noticeably different to me.

Just i don't know why. So from the specs can you see why it'd be?

Those specs say that your new earphones are not as sensitive and don't produce as higher pitch sounds. But you can't read too much into that -- the build quality, components and design will really determine how good they sound.

You might want to look at IEMs (in-ear monitors). They're the kind of thing that performers use on stage. I had some Shure E2 'phones and they were amazing. There's no way they'd fall out of your ears, and the perfect seal isolates external sounds. The sound quality was the best I've ever heard. Shame they don't make them any more.

I'm not sure what's available, but this google search has a few interesting results:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=best+in-ear+monitors
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ignore the specs. -at least those as simple as you quote. They are not quite meaningless but heading that way! At best (in terms of audio quality) they can only be a guide. Far better a balanced response than a very wide unbalanced frequency response! The best way to choose for quality is to listen to them as other factors will then potentially be more obvious too you....much like your experience with the two types.

Failing that you should read some reviews from respected organisations....and reports on MSE, but you never then know how good a judge then poster is! Esul's post though is good!

Some will no doubt be able to advise on the in ear 'security' but many popular 'phones that people think are good really are rubbish....but maybe cheap or fashionable! Sennheiser, Beyer, Sony, AKG, Bose, are often the market leaders for quality within a wide price range but even those have 'dogs' and other manufacturers some 'pearls'

Which recommends the Bose Sound sport knead phones but £75 or so!

Don't buy are the cheaper Rock Jaw, Sony and surprisingly the more expensive B&W (a really well respected manufacturers of top of the range and some very expensive speakers) phones in the same range are dogs!

I suspect your lucky £9.99 original purchase will not not be matched. If you find one you like, have a look for second hand one from fleabag as well as new (therefore clean!) grommets! There are often lots on auction.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    have a look at Koss 'the plug' or 'spark plug'
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I don't mind shelling out more if they're a decent set.
    Problem is there's limited stores here with limited 'phones on display for trying out & these are limited even further to only being headphones, no actual earphones.

So short of asking them to open up their packaging just so i can try it out, i have no way of actually truly finding out what a set is like.

Which restricts me to online reviews.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For around £15 you could give the Xiaomi's a try from gearbest, they seem quite popular for the budget choice. Other options at a similar price are Betron B750s, or there's the OnePlus Bullets.

Soundmagic E10's always come up as a best buy for £35. And What Hi-Fi rate the Beyerdynamic Byron's highly and you can get them for £39 from Richer Sounds.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ....ah yes Koss. I had forgotten them. They used to make exceedingly good electrostatic phones years ago, but not the sort of things to wear in the gym!! Still have some Sennheiser electrostatics and saw they were going for very silly money on USA auction sites, must be collectors items. Both very expensive and about the best quality around, even today.;):blushing::blushing:

However I suggest that, for your needs, you should concentrate as much on their physical suitability as audio performance as they will be no good audio wise when they have fallen out of your ears!:rotfl:
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    I bought 'the plug' a number of years ago. There were very good, with audio books, except the cable eventually broke somewhere as all mine seem to do.

They are a normal-ish ear bud, but have a small tube going into the ear instead of a silicon cap. A foam cylinder goes around the tube which moulds itself to your earhole.

When the sponge wears out, you can use the yellow ear defender like these, but you have to make a hole in the middle
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-1100-37db-foam-ear-plugs-200-pairs/50346
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport