Job Hunt

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Somewhere like Timpsons as with the greatest of respect they take on people with criminal record and therefore often limited pasts so they might be worth a go.

Also could look at jobs adverts via your job centre as that might produce less then fussy employers. I live in a small town and when I go past mine it usually boasts part time handy man, cleaner, betting shop assistant etc.

Failing this register with agencies, stick the CV on reed's 'available immediately for temporary work' and see what pops up (might be factory or warehouse at first) or try and keep an eye on shop windows for cleaner positions as I know one 'bargain supermarket retailer' does this, just pops a handwritten note in the door for a few hours at £7.20
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do not have a criminal record

I also have a full clean driving licence

I have nothing really to put on a CV
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Your question has been answered, lets agree that you wont be getting whatever answer you was hoping for. Good luck.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your question has been answered, lets agree that you wont be getting whatever answer you was hoping for. Good luck.

I don't think my question has been answered
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    All of this with the utmost respect.

You only have caring and 'house husband' experience. Therefore, I'm guessing cooking, cleaning, and caring.

Jobs involving cooking, cleaning and caring tend not to start out as high paying jobs. And because you have no job experience you cannot go in as a head chef, or a care manager. You have to start at the bottom.

You say the jobs are dirty. Well many people do them. You've done it unpaid for probably forty plus years. What's so bad about doing it for low pay?

With regards to your age, that isn't really the age to start a career in the minds of many employers. This is the age most people are starting to think about what to do in retirement.

You say you're not a 'beggar' well in job terms, you are. You are looking for unskilled work. Cleaner, carer, shop worker, etc. No ones going to hand you a high paying easy job just because you have a drivers license and no criminal record.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're taking things too literally. keepcalm's comment didn't say you had a criminal record, it was to highlight the limited working past of yours.

Your question has been answered multiple times, just not with the answer you want to hear. If you've been caring for relatives your whole working life you should have some great transferrable skills, but you'll have to put some effort into finding someone who needs those skills.

I hope you find something :)

Somewhere like Timpsons as with the greatest of respect they take on people with criminal record and therefore often limited pasts so they might be worth a go.
    aardvaak wrote: »
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What jobs are available for a 62 year old male with no job experience/record and limited educational qualifications?

Supermarket, Carer, Delivery Driver etc etc. Domino's are always looking and will recruit pretty much anyone for driving and/or in store roles. money is rubbish, but that's life I'm afraid. Care work in comparison is very well paid, or can be, with hourly rates reaching 10 or 11GPB sometimes.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will have things that are relevant to a basic CV but I think you may need help working out what that is and how to sell yourself.

These people may be a useful starting point.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pupgrum
    pupgrum Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think OP will ever get a paid job without volunteering first. At his age and complete void of work experience and limited/no education...

A housewife is accepted in modern society, but nobody expects a man to remain at home, never working at all.

If you want to look into becoming a carer, you still need qualifications.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options

I also have a full clean driving licence

I have nothing really to put on a CV
    Are you being obtuse on purpose?

As others have mentioned, if you really want a job then you will need to look at agency work or volunteering to get some history and references and then look for more permenant jobs.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure