Left with huge energy bill

Options
Lyons
Lyons Posts: 1 Newbie
Took out my energy supply with see through energy club. Told them I needed a new smart meter. No one came to fit one or return my calls. I payed the amount set out when I joined and a month before I left they sent me a letter to say they were increasing my payments by nearly £200. I rang and said I couldn’t afford it and how comes we were so behind on payments. The lady told me we hadn’t been paying enough and after much discussion I decided to leave. I’m now left with a bill of £948 to pay. Do I have to pay this?? Surely the fact they let us get so far behind and didn’t fit a meter so for 2 years worked from estimated readings is their fault?? Does anyone know where I stand with it??

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lyons wrote: »
    Took out my energy supply with see through energy club. Told them I needed a new smart meter. No one came to fit one or return my calls. I payed the amount set out when I joined and a month before I left they sent me a letter to say they were increasing my payments by nearly £200. I rang and said I couldn!!!8217;t afford it and how comes we were so behind on payments. The lady told me we hadn!!!8217;t been paying enough and after much discussion I decided to leave. I!!!8217;m now left with a bill of £948 to pay. Do I have to pay this?? Surely the fact they let us get so far behind and didn!!!8217;t fit a meter so for 2 years worked from estimated readings is their fault?? Does anyone know where I stand with it??

Hi - welcome to the forum. If I am reading your post correctly, you have a meter that records usage: a smart one which on change of supplier has lost its communications mode so it is effectively now a dumb meter like 43M others. All smart meters that lose connectivity can still be read by the consumer/meter reader.

If you have been receiving estimated bills and, have not bothered to take an actual meter reading, then the bill for £948 stands. Consumers have a responsibility for monitoring their own accounts. I am sorry if this not the answer that you wanted.

If the supplier has allowed the transfer to go ahead, then the amount due is payable immediately. Had you stayed with them, they might have agreed a debt repayment plan.

Finally, I should that suppliers are under no obligation to replace an existing smart meter each time a consumer changes a supplier. Your 'foundation' stage meter will be upgraded or replaced by 2020. The fact that these meters go dumb on transfer is well documented.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Your 'foundation' stage meter will be upgraded or replaced by 2020.

I wouldn't put money on it. ;-)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't put money on it. ;-)

Careful, the men in black hats and coats driving a black Range Rover may well be round to re-educate you. The responsible Minister has spoken:

The Minister (Claire Perry) also told MPs during the debate that she will attempt to “turbocharge the smart meters roll-out later this year”.

“I think we are on the cusp of something really exciting with smart meters,” she said.

Deluded or what.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Hi - welcome to the forum. If I am reading your post correctly, you have a meter that records usage: a smart one which on change of supplier has lost its communications mode so it is effectively now a dumb meter like 43M others. All smart meters that lose connectivity can still be read by the consumer/meter reader.

If you have been receiving estimated bills and, have not bothered to take an actual meter reading, then the bill for £948 stands. Consumers have a responsibility for monitoring their own accounts. I am sorry if this not the answer that you wanted.

If the supplier has allowed the transfer to go ahead, then the amount due is payable immediately. Had you stayed with them, they might have agreed a debt repayment plan.

Finally, I should that suppliers are under no obligation to replace an existing smart meter each time a consumer changes a supplier. Your 'foundation' stage meter will be upgraded or replaced by 2020. The fact that these meters go dumb on transfer is well documented.

Totally agree with the above.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    It is not their fault that you havent got a meter. You cant use that. Nor can you say that it is their fault that you have got so far behind.

You should take reads when you move in and on a regular basis if you are unsure of a supplier.

Estimates are based on historical information at the property and if you were a higher consumer than past occupants but didnt take reads then your debts can add up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure