PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gifted House

Options

Comments

• MrEnigma
    MrEnigma Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Suggested by whom? Not the local authority.
    A solicitor
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    She gave you her home, for nothing, and you think she should pay you?
  • MrEnigma
    Options

Please read all the posts before posting, thanks.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

The mind boggles.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, did you and your mother each take independent advice on this before your mother transferred the deeds of her home to you? The questions you are asking now would suggest not. It would also suggest that you didn't read the replies in your previous thread.
  • MrEnigma
    Options
    ^^^^^ look at post 12
  • MrEnigma
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    The advice in the previous thread was that you both take independent, professional advice before doing this in order to avoid IHT/deprivation issues and the issues with the arsey relative. Did you both do this?

That is not the current question, but yes took advise, as the total estate was below £325,000 then no IHT. Also as previously stated was advised after 3 years that deprivation of assets would be nulled.

If I have incorrect advise, then will have to use another solicitor.

Back on topic please. Thanks
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    MrEnigma wrote: »
    Hi group.

Last June my mother gifted me her house which was at the time worth £285000.
    I was renting a property at the time, so thought it best to move in with her.

Question is: Do I have to charge her rent? In order to comply with any tax rules.

If my son charged me rent after I'd given him the house I'd wonder if I'd brought him up correctly.

I'm wondering if this isn't a case of you charging her rent for a period of time, then kicking her out so she'll be homeless so will apply for sheltered housing.

Yes I know I'm a cynic
  • MrEnigma
    Options
    If my son charged me rent after I'd given him the house I'd wonder if I'd brought him up correctly.

I'm wondering if this isn't a case of you charging her rent for a period of time, then kicking her out so she'll be homeless so will apply for sheltered housing.

Yes I know I'm a cynic
    I just want to do things correctly.

I will get in touch with another STEP solicitor, as I didn't ask the question 1st time around.

Thanks for the replies
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    MrEnigma wrote: »
    I just want to do things correctly.

I will get in touch with another STEP solicitor, as I didn't ask the question 1st time around.

Thanks for the replies

Correctly? In what sense ? Financially or morally?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure