What is it with W10 and system restore!!!

Options
Sicard
Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
I've researched this and it appears to be quite a widespread problem. The restore points just don't restore. There's a few convoluted solutions for a workaround but why on earth didn't M$ patch this in an update yonks ago? They've known about it for ages.

Yesterday I was getting some stuttering on a streaming program for the first time so I thought maybe there's an Intel update as my graphics or sound drivers might need updating. I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility. It scanned and came up with newer software and driver for my wireless. I installed it and my internet speed went from an average of 29 mbps down to 0.6. But Intel in their ultimate wisdom haven't included an 'undo' or revert utility in it's wonderful tool.

Okay I thought I'll just do a system restore. No go. Zilch. 'System restore was unable to restore to a previous point etc'.

I tried some of the workarounds but still no go. Apparently sometimes it works to change the name of the Apps file but this didn't work for me as the commands weren't accepted.

In the end I used the only useful saving grace in W10 and reloaded it and saved all my files. Now I'm back to normal apart from having to install all my programs again.

BTW I've also installed the Windows10Upgrade28085 Creative which apparently resolves the problem of restore not working, but as yet I've got to try it out.

What is it with these Intel and M$ wallies?

Rant over.
You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

Comments

• DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    I would never do that, if I can't fix something immediately I make a new partition and install new build on that, but I usually clone the first partition anyway, so just a case of choosing menu option.

As your your driver problem, all you had to do was find the folder where it was stored, delete the device, rename the folder (you could try to restore previous version of the files in the folder), then install the old version of the Intel driver.

The moral of this story is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Just fixed a W10 Dell desktop - didn't get as far as restoring because it had NO restores points at all (blame Anniversary update for disabling restore point creation).

PS. reset (keep data) failed straight away too. Reinstalled from media -custom install- over existing C: partition -WITHOUT formatting- and recovered files from windows.old
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Sicard
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I would never do that, if I can't fix something immediately I make a new partition and install new build on that, but I usually clone the first partition anyway, so just a case of choosing menu option.

As your your driver problem, all you had to do was find the folder where it was stored, delete the device, rename the folder (you could try to restore previous version of the files in the folder), then install the old version of the Intel driver.

The moral of this story is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Yeah, there's various ways and hindsight is a great illuminator. But I thought Intel could be trusted.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.

• Sicard
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Just fixed a W10 Dell desktop - didn't get as far as restoring because it had NO restores points at all (blame Anniversary update for disabling restore point creation).

PS. reset (keep data) failed straight away too. Reinstalled from media -custom install- over existing C: partition -WITHOUT formatting- and recovered files from windows.old

That was Sept 2016 so why didn't the M$ messiahs do a patch to rectify their !!!!-up?

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe most users like me disable restore points??

I can clone an entire drive and restore it it less time than the restore can put the system back to its previous state.

You could have made several changes and just want to restore it to an inbetween state. You would have to manually set the restore anyway.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    IME Windows system restore has always been a bit klunky in so far as it would sometimes refuse to restore to a selected point for no obvious reason. It's a tool I'd use for quickness (I think it is quicker than restoring an entire image) but wouldn't rely on it to get me out of the poop - that's what images are for.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe most users like me disable restore points??

Yeah -- I've tried using it out of curiosity when it came out, but it never seemed to do anything useful. I've disabled it on every OS since. I've never had any reason to use it.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's worked fine whenever I had the need to use it. I think that may have been when I was on Win7 and it created restore points reliably.

Now, on Win10, even though restore points are 'enabled', and you can easily create them manually, they just seem to disappear after a few days.

It's a great system, as it works (when it works) exactly as it's supposed to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure