Making a business sale in person

Options
Does anybody know what information/paperwork I have to provide to a buyer who comes to my business premises (well, house), to pay for an item originally advertised on Ebay?

Do I have to give them a statement of their rights or anything like that?

Also, what are their return rights? I heard something about 30 days, and something about 6 months. If they break the item in question within 6 months, and pretend it was always broken, what are my chances of resisting a refund?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless you have certain terms and conditions they need to be aware of then nothing, When you buy from a supermarket they dont give you terms before you buy.

If its within 30 days you refund, If its faulty within 6 months you refund. After 6 months i would still refund.

You should be pricing your stuff to take into account a % that will want refunds for whatever reason within 1 year. Thats why sellers often fail. They try to be the cheapest and then a few refunds and their profit has gone.

If you want to have good customer service refund within 12 months with no quibbles. But dont advertise that.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    The only useful advice I can offer as if this is paid with Paypal, under no circumstances allow collection.

This item is technically a distance sale, even though the buyer wants to collect, so IMHO you have none of the advantages of a collection in person, and all the disadvantages distance selling brings, so IMHO you do need to inform them of the distance sale rights (which will be on the Ebay listing, I do not think you need another hard copy)
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anybody know what information/paperwork I have to provide to a buyer who comes to my business premises (well, house), to pay for an item originally advertised on Ebay?

Also, what are their return rights? I heard something about 30 days, and something about 6 months. If they break the item in question within 6 months, and pretend it was always broken, what are my chances of resisting a refund?

Thanks in advance.
    As above, you don't need to provide anything. If it's a new item and is a consumer sale (ie you're selling to a person rather than a business) then the buyer has the same rights as buying from a store. If the item is used then you can make sure the buyer checks the item and you could get them to sign a sheet "received in good condition". This isn't particularly watertight but can help.

Also as above if the buyer is paying by Paypal then you mostly can't defend a refund and it's advisable to ask for cash on collection to make a safer transaction for yourself.
  • Kaston
    Kaston Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Thanks in advance.

If it's a item sold through your business then they have the same rights as buying from a shop. EBay's buyer protection is only for items that are sent and are paid for using Paypal. Paypal also has a buyer protection policy but is not as stringent as EBay's. So; as has already been mentioned; do not accept Paypal if the item is to be collected. That way, it's just the law of the land that applies, not the extra policies of Ebay and Paypal. You don't need to give them a statement of their rights but should probably give them a receipt if they pay on collection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure