Gold Car car hire

Options
Hi all,
I recently hired a car in Spain with Goldcar, as per numerous other trips over the years I took out fully comp car insurance separately with icarhireinsuance.
On collecting my car nothing about insurance was mentioned, and a refundable amount was taken off of my card for fuel damage etc.
When I get home the money has been refunded, minus around £200, after a couple of e mails and phone calls I have received the below from customer services:

I am concerned to hear that you were under the impression that your Goldcar rental would be directly covered under your own motor insurance policy/your broker’s policy. This isn’t the case and we do our best to make that very clear on our website and on booking vouchers.

Customers have two cover options when they book with Goldcar. The first is to pay a refundable deposit. If there is damage to the vehicle during the rental period the cost of repair is deducted from the deposit and the customer will need to make a claim from their insurer to recoup the costs. The second option is to take out our Super Relax cover. This means customers can drive safe in the knowledge that any damage will be covered and that Goldcar will handle all the paperwork.
This extra is included in your signed contract and a refund / cancelation after the rental period is not possible.

Can anyone give me any pointers on whether it is worth carrying on fighting this and how to go about it?
Many thanks in advance
Ben

Comments

• losgiganteskid
    Options
    Have you asked them exactly what the deducted £200 was for ? - I would.

It appears GC identified some damage to the vehicle upon its return (or less fuel in the tank as there should have been) if this is the case you merely obtain confirmation of the reason for the deduction and put in a claim on your stand alone icarhireinsurance policy
  • benfisher9
    Options
    Sorry, wasn't very clear in my original, post the £200 is for fully comp insurance which I neither needed or asked for.
    I have proof that I pre purchased the same product elsewhere, but apparently the insurance was in the T and C's which I signed for at the airport.
    Many thanks
    Ben
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many car hire companies will upsell insurance, fuel etc. The last 3 car rentals I have had (not Goldcar) I have had to get them to remove items they had added before I would sign....my "we don't have that class of car available so will upgrade you" became a daily charge for upgrade on the paperwork which I told them to remove (they did and I still got the upgraded car) full tank of fuel charged - told them to remove as I was returning full
    Never sign the paperwork until you have checked it in full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure