Woodford Concerns

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just to add:

"Hargreaves Lansdown funds with exposure to Neil Woodford’s collapsed investment vehicle have bled a net £439m over the past four months, sparking fears that the liquidity crisis that engulfed the former stockpicker could spread to a new cohort of investors. Hargreaves, the UK’s largest fund supermarket, operates an £8bn own-brand multimanager portfolio range that invests in the Woodford Equity Income fund, which is suspended due to problems stemming from its exposure to hard-to-sell assets. A recent run of investor redemptions from the Hargreaves range is fuelling concern that as the multimanager reduces its position in other funds to pay the withdrawals, the Woodford fund will make up a larger proportion of the portfolios, endangering remaining investors."

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ddbc4a5b-c3e0-3f58-b438-b0b257ceaa02/hargreaves-fund-outflows.html
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    "In other news tonight: fueled by media speculation that investors diving for the exit could cause a run on the fund, investors dove for the exit, causing a run on the fund. We the media are appalled at this shocking event!"
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About the same time as i sold :)

yep, me too.
  • Brian65
    Brian65 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Panorama BBC1 Mon 21 Oct 8.30pm is about Fund Managers including Woodford.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    "In other news tonight: fueled by media speculation that investors diving for the exit could cause a run on the fund, investors dove for the exit, causing a run on the fund. We the media are appalled at this shocking event!"

Same with fuel shortages and panic buying.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 October 2019 at 9:02AM
    Options
    Brian65 wrote: »
    Best FT article I have ever seen published today; Neil Woodford: the inside story of his rise and dramatic fall
    <snip>
    I'm afraid there was nothing to indicate WPCT is under-valued.

Yeh, good article.
    Read this one from May about the sort of people that were bamboozled by NW even that late

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-7062597/Why-buying-Woodford-Patient-Capital-Wise-Funds-Tony-Yarrow.html and how they thought it was undervalued.

A few companies they think will do well, Immunocore (halved in price in a day only a month after the article), and Ultrahaptics (sold at a profit but that of course means the concentration of dross in WPCT increased, that was the equivalent of throwing your gold out to keep the ship afloat) stand out. But it looks like the Dog and Pony show WIM put on convinced these guys to stick with it, until they capitulated and sold out their entire holding last week at about a 50% loss.
    They were also "surprised" that WEIF was shut down (this is on their website) , they honestly thought it would reopen in December. They should have been reading here :D
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The most likely place to find an edge is within the sector you work. The issue with that is there would be a temptation to pay little heed to diversification - no problem if that edge exists but problematic if it doesn't.

I played that game for decades, and at times had 90% of our assets other than property/pension in the semiconductor sector, and often over 50% in the company I worked for!

It all worked out in the end, but it wasn't exactly low stress. I'm now 90% passive, with 50% in bonds and a good international spread.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Brian65
    edited 20 October 2019 at 9:50AM
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Yeh, good article.
    Read this one from May about the sort of people that were bamboozled by NW even that late

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-7062597/Why-buying-Woodford-Patient-Capital-Wise-Funds-Tony-Yarrow.html and how they thought it was undervalued.

A few companies they think will do well, Immunocore (halved in price in a day only a month after the article), and Ultrahaptics (sold at a profit but that of course means the concentration of dross in WPCT increased, that was the equivalent of throwing your gold out to keep the ship afloat) stand out. But it looks like the Dog and Pony show WIM put on convinced these guys to stick with it, until they capitulated and sold out their entire holding last week at about a 50% loss.
    They were also "surprised" that WEIF was shut down (this is on their website) , they honestly thought it would reopen in December. They should have been reading here :D

'unrivalled network of contacts' LOL - I stopped taking the Daily Mail seriously when they hired Adam Faith as their Financial Editor and his TV Money Channel went bust. FT have talked to insiders who say one of the problems was Woodford's contacts book was very thin because he was outside the London circle.
    He didn't need contacts for the stuff he was investing in at Invesco because the information he needed was easy to access in the public domain. Quite different to what he invested in later, wher has was blinded by science, they could tell him anything, and he wouldn't have the contacts who could verify what others were telling him.
  • Brian65
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    I played that game for decades, and at times had 90% of our assets other than property/pension in the semiconductor sector, and often over 50% in the company I worked for!

It all worked out in the end, but it wasn't exactly low stress. I'm now 90% passive, with 50% in bonds and a good international spread.

Sometimes a little knowlege can be a bad thing. Because your limited knowlege might only be a positive where you miss the negative like I did. I bought into Marconi at about 20p because I knew they owned technology vital to BT. What I did not forsee was the banks being allowed to over rule the shareholders and force them out with a derisory 1/2p per share. It only cost me about 1% of my portfolio directly, but cost me a lot more by frightening me away from equities so I was late to the party when they recovered.
    Now I'm nearly all in cheap S&P500/World index tracker ETFs.
  • Brian65
    edited 20 October 2019 at 10:03AM
    Options
    Just to add:

"Hargreaves Lansdown funds with exposure to Neil Woodford’s collapsed investment vehicle have bled a net £439m over the past four months, sparking fears that the liquidity crisis that engulfed the former stockpicker could spread to a new cohort of investors. Hargreaves, the UK’s largest fund supermarket, operates an £8bn own-brand multimanager portfolio range that invests in the Woodford Equity Income fund, which is suspended due to problems stemming from its exposure to hard-to-sell assets. A recent run of investor redemptions from the Hargreaves range is fuelling concern that as the multimanager reduces its position in other funds to pay the withdrawals, the Woodford fund will make up a larger proportion of the portfolios, endangering remaining investors."

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/ddbc4a5b-c3e0-3f58-b438-b0b257ceaa02/hargreaves-fund-outflows.html

The FT article highlighted how difficult it would have been for HL to withdraw Woodford from their best buy list even after they had serious doubts about him. Mark Dampier had promoted Woodford (Oh sorry their Wealth 50 list 'doesn't constitute advice') so much that when he finally had to admit Woodford's fund was sh*te, his own credibility and career was over. It must have been very tempting to cling on and keep the party going for as long as possible in the hope that Woodford would finally come good, and sell his own/wife's shares before the collapse.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback