Air conditioning for free by accident!

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    It wasn't deception, as I said, if they'd have asked for payment, they'd have got it. I have no way of knowing if individual units were monitored for use.

Got bored of subject now, nothing further to add.

" Purely out of interest", would you encourage your kids to do something similar?:T
  • Calpol4life
    Options
    It wasn't deception, as I said, if they'd have asked for payment, they'd have got it.

Well.... that’s a lie.... you’d have denied both turning it on, or acknowledging you even knew it was on.....

If you had no concept of wrong doing why did set them back to off on departure?;)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It wasn't deception, as I said, if they'd have asked for payment, they'd have got it. I have no way of knowing if individual units were monitored for use.

Very adult..:D
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options

Well, I've something further to add.

You knew that the use of the airconditioner was chargeable and that as you had been using it, you owed payment so by not admitting to this, you committed fraud as I think a reasonable person (or a judge) would think you have a legal duty to declare that you had been using a paid for service.
    Fraud by failing to disclose information
    A person is in breach of this section if he—
    (a)dishonestly fails to disclose to another person information which he is under a legal duty to disclose, and
    (b)intends, by failing to disclose the information—
    (i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
    (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/section/3
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think the OP thought by posting here he would be congratulated on such a great 'money saving' wheeze and be lauded for his ingenuity.

It's not really turned out that way for him though, has it. :think:

I'd hate to be a person who disbelieves anything anyone else says. :whistle:
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I really can't believe that you think it wasn't deception and you did nothing wrong because they didn't ask for payment.

Let's say i go into a supermarket and take an item and put it in my pocket, i then walk out the shop and using your logic if i'm not stopped and asked for payment i have done nothing wrong?
    Do you really believe that?

If i was in your position i would probably have done the same thing to see if i could use the Air Con without having paid for it. But i would know what i was doing was actually theft and morally wrong.

The fact you can't see how your actions were wrong is quite worrying really.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think the OP thought by posting here he would be congratulated on such a great 'money saving' wheeze and be lauded for his ingenuity.

It's not really turned out that way for him though, has it. :think:

I'd hate to be a person who disbelieves anything anyone else says. :whistle:

Yes, I've rarely seen a thread where there was so much agreement that OP was in the wrong. I can live with being called pious or worse. It's been worth it to know that most posters are honest.:)
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Come on OP tell the truth, you didn't want to pay the money but had a look to see if you could turn it on for free....

You got away with it to be fair but ultimately it was theft.

To say they didn't lock the cabinet is not really an excuse. You can't walk into tesco pick up an armful of goods and blame them for not locking them away?

Not saying a lot of people would have done the same but then to boast about it on a forum. hmmm. Not so sure.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • paulfoel
    Options
    Well done - you've just won the prize for posting the cheapest, cheapskate / stealing post on MSE.

Woooooooo. Look at the big man stealing showertime worth 20p from a campsite. Did you empty the toilet roll dispenser as well ?

Shocking. So save 20p. Just WOW.
  • paulfoel
    Options
    I really hope this person doesn't have a job which demands a bit of honesty to be honest. I can just imagine.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport