Small craft business sideline

Options
Just want to be clear about future tax payments if I can so I can make sure how much tax I will soon have to pay!
I have a full time job earning £23,000 pa. I also have a small craft business run from home where I will make about £6000 by April 2020.
Am I correct in thinking that I only pay tax on anything above the first £1000 leaving me with £5000 liable for tax? After expenses the £5000 would be reduced to £4000 profit.
Is it as simple as saying there will be 20% tax to pay on £4000 ?
Sorry if these questions are very simple but I have never done anything like this before.
And I fear this will be a stupid question , but , do I pay national insurance on my craft profits too or is that just something that is paid through my normal employment?

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can't deduct your actual expenses AND the £1,000 trading allowance. It's one or the other, so you'd just deduct the larger amount. So your taxable profit would be £5000.

Yes, at that level tax is 20% so £1,000 but be careful because if your profits are more and the tax is over £1,000 you also have to make payments on account so you could find yourself paying two years worth of tax in a single year.

If profits rise to around £7k, you'll also have NIC to pay.
  • rickyroma
    rickyroma Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    You can't deduct your actual expenses AND the £1,000 trading allowance. It's one or the other, so you'd just deduct the larger amount. So your taxable profit would be £5000.

Yes, at that level tax is 20% so £1,000 but be careful because if your profits are more and the tax is over £1,000 you also have to make payments on account so you could find yourself paying two years worth of tax in a single year.

If profits rise to around £7k, you'll also have NIC to pay.

Very useful. Thank you very much

Regarding expenses.. would I be able to get away with claiming a mobile or home wifi contract is an expense as the craft business is conducted through Facebook and Instagram..or is that being too cheeky ?:rotfl:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    rickyroma wrote: »

Regarding expenses.. would I be able to get away with claiming a mobile or home wifi contract is an expense as the craft business is conducted through Facebook and Instagram..or is that being too cheeky ?:rotfl:
    Unless you have completely separate contracts for business and for personal use, that's being too cheeky.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    rickyroma wrote: »

As a sole trader, you can claim the proportion of any "dual" expenses like phones and broadband. If, say, you use them 50% for business and 50% for personal, you can claim 50% of the total costs. You just have to be able to prove your percentages to HMRC if they challenge your figures which can be hard. Basically, the bigger your claim, the more likelihood of challenge and more difficult you'll find it to justify the claim. Most people would claim say 10/20% which is usually easier to justify and more likely to avoid challenge. But, as said above, if you're going to claim the £1,000 fixed allowance instead, you won't be claiming anything for phone/broadband on top of that.
  • rickyroma
    Options
    Just another query on this.. not worthy of another thread !
     I intend to declare my income for the past tax year but am a little worried I should have actually informed HMRC at the moment I started selling online (april last year ) .  So .. when I get to the question "when did you start trading" .. if I answer April 2019 am I going to get a fine or anything for not informing them at the time I actually started up ?   
  • oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 April 2020 at 4:43PM
    Options
    rickyroma said:
     I intend to declare my income for the past tax year but am a little worried I should have actually informed HMRC at the moment I started selling online (april last year ) .  So .. when I get to the question "when did you start trading" .. if I answer April 2019 am I going to get a fine or anything for not informing them at the time I actually started up ?   
    you would have to pick April.... let us assume you started trading AFTER 5th April so that is in the tax year 20/21. In which case you have to notify HMRC that you started trading, and do so by 5 October in your business's second tax year of trading, so 5 Oct 2022 .
    HMRC will then send you a tax return with the "normal" absolute deadline of 31 Jan 2023 for submission.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

obviously life will be much easier if you do it before that deadline

• rickyroma
    Options
    rickyroma said:
    you would have to pick April.... let us assume you started trading AFTER 5th April so that is in the tax year 20/21. In which case you have to notify HMRC that you started trading, and do so by 5 October in your business's second tax year of trading, so 5 Oct 2022 .
    HMRC will then send you a tax return with the "normal" absolute deadline of 31 Jan 2023 for submission.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

obviously life will be much easier if you do it before that deadline

Sorry.. I am being a bit thick here but.. are you saying if I started trading April 2019 I am too late to inform the tax people? 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    No, oldbikebloke is saying that if you started trading AFTER 5th April 2019 you are OK. 

However, even if you started trading BEFORE 5th April 2019, you are likely to be OK, because you are vanishingly unlikely to have made enough profit to need to pay tax on it. 

So register as self-employed with HMRC, do your tax return, pay any tax due, job done. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    as i said, the cutoff date to register is 5th October in second TAX year of trading 
    apply that rule to the actual date you started trading "in" April 2019 given a tax year starts on 6th April....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback