PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying etiquette

Options
Hi

As a first time buyer I just wanted to check s couple of things, we went to view a house on Saturday morning, we liked it so put in an offer, the house is from a deceased estate so is being handled by solicitors. We were told they had an offer already so will put ours forward with the other and any forthcoming offers from booked viewings, we booked for a second viewing tonight and whilst there were told there were 3 offers. What I am wanting to do is phone and put a higher offer in but want an answer within a day or two and for them to take the house off the market. Is this something that happens? Is the estate agent allowed to tell us the other offers? I'm guessing not.

Thanks

Comments

• ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 May 2018 at 8:00PM
    Options
    Sadly, buying from a deceased person's estate means that you're dealing with executors, who are duty bound to act in the best interests of the estate by getting the best possible price. Individuals will sometimes take liberties with that if they're also the beneficiaries :) but solicitors acting as executors are unlikely to. So taking it off the market while offers are still coming in is something they're unlikely to do.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's also worth asking whether Probate has been granted. If not, it can't be sold till it is. That might be a week away.

Or 6 months......
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought recently in a similar situation. Lots of interest, offers invited, decision made within 48 hours. Somewhat similar to "best and final offers" in Scotland.

No, you don't get special treatment and have the estate agent tell you what everyone else has bid.

Imagine how you would feel if you bid in this situation, and the estate agent told another bidder what you bid, so they could bid £1,000 more and "beat you". When the shoe is on the other foot, hopefully you can see the ethical unfairness.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Asl77c
    Asl77c Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    you will have no luck in getting it off the market. We had this situation with our first house. went to best and final offers. We ended up getting it as the solicitors accepted the highest offer - albeit by all of about 500 - which was ours with a mortgage, which they went with over the next highest who was a cash buyer. They will want the most amount of money in the end and will want it marketed for a certain amount of time before likely still inviting best and final offers.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Estate agents are compulsive bulls***ters. Make an offer based on what you think the place is worth, bearing in mind market value.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    It's also worth asking whether Probate has been granted. If not, it can't be sold till it is. That might be a week away.

Or 6 months......

Second this. Plus the 'offers' might be just bumping the price up. Hold fire, there's plenty of houses generally, play them at their own game
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Consider going in and having a chat with the estate agent, see what else they have on there books or coming up, let them put a face to the name to see you are a serious buyer, and as FTB looking to complete as soon as possible.
    In reality we only managed to get this house, (also probate) because the EA could put faces to our names they knew we had a house fall through, was living in rented and good to go, we were not the highest offer but in a good position and importantly for them the most likely for a speedy complete. so win win for everyone.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    My seller turned down an offer made in a similar way because he felt bullied. Such tactics can backfire.

It's obviously different when dealing with executors, but think how'd you'd feel if someone tried to make you rush an important financial decision like that. If nothing else it would make me think that they weren't confident their offer would remain the highest.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    joehfax wrote: »

Is the estate agent allowed to tell us the other offers? I'm guessing not.

Thanks

There is nothing to prevent the EA divulging the level of other offers to you, but if they do be prepared for the level of your offer to be disclosed to any other interested parties.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    There is nothing to prevent the EA divulging the level of other offers to you, but if they do be prepared for the level of your offer to be disclosed to any other interested parties.

England and Scotland my be different, but I am pretty sure that up here if the house goes to a closing date/last and final offers, the solicitor cannot legally divulge offers to other buyers.
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport