PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Social Housing - RENT INCREASE for Mortgage Rescue

Options
I had to have a mortgage rescue with a social housing association, due to ill health, three and a half years ago. The rental agreement has now been extended to a seven year fixed term agreement.
Two years ago I received a letter saying that my rent would decrease by 1% a year over the next four years (due to government policy) . This year I received a statement showing that for next financial year it is actually increasing the rent by 4.5% or £45 a month because my contract is mortgage rescue and is apparently now suddenly exempt from this social housing reduction. My concerns and questions that I put to the company were:

- did they apply for an exemptions for mortgage rescue clients (as doing research on the Internet indicates that in order for my contract to be increased they had to apply for a specific exemption) they haven’t given me a straight answer to this.They just refer me to their web site
which says some have gone up and some down depending on the funding.

- I’m also concerned that having been told in writing that I could expect a decrease, I was not formally informed that this had changed until I just received a list of next years rental payments including the increase, and I am now left with increases which have not been budgeted for. Given what I was led to expect, surely there should be some form of firm contract or agreement here?

- I see other social housing associations continue to allow the mortgage rescue clients to enjoy the 1% discount - so its not universally applied.

I wonder having gone past the initial three years and now being on a 7 year fixed term agreement, is this still considered a mortgage rescue tenancy - and will be so for ever more?
Grateful for any thoughts or shared experiences?

Comments

• CATHYJAY
    CATHYJAY Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am in the same boat my house was purchased under the mortgage rescue scheme in 2012, I have just had a phone call to say my rent is going up by 4% taking my rent to £595 per month I have been told that my tenancy is exempt from the rent cap that was introduced awhile back. I am really angry that other tenants are having a rent freeze or rent reduction, it seems very unfair, and my rent increase has been linked to CPI the Consumer Price Index so I am literally at the mercy of this measure and they take the increase from the September figure. I have looked high and low for information how I can challenge this but so far I have found nothing. Been in touch with Shelter but they were not much help.
  • Angry_Bird99
    Options
    Hi - I am also in the same boat! I notice Hyde Housing have allowed the 1%deceease so it!!!8217;s down to interpretation by Housing Assosciatioons. I wrote to DCLG for clarification and got this reply:

In general terms the legislation does not directly mention mortgage rescue properties, but does establish an exemption from the rent reduction for intermediate rental properties. The document linked below explains how the mortgage rescue scheme was set up and you should contact your housing association directly if you have any concerns about the application of the regulations in your circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure