Deprivation of assets query

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe someone should also ask her if she thinks that the LA care is actually what she wants. It may be fine in your area but in some it is pretty grotty. See the CQC recent report.

I also think that as LAs are getting more & more strapped for cash they will have to be looking for any get-out clause they can find.

Just to be a bit personal in this, I have savings set aside for if I do need care, if I don't that's fine I have a will, but I don't see why I should have to fund someone elses care just because they have given their money away. Even if it was over 7 years ago.
  • skintandfat
    Options
    There is nothing to stop her adding other family members as joint account holders on her current account

To sum up- if nan has £100k in her account then the full amount is taken as an asset.
    If nan has £100k in a joint account with 3 others then the monies are divided 4 ways.
    It then is not a deprivation of an asset if a joint account holder withdraws money from an account in their name.
    :D
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    There is nothing to stop her adding other family members as joint account holders on her current account

To sum up- if nan has £100k in her account then the full amount is taken as an asset.
    If nan has £100k in a joint account with 3 others then the monies are divided 4 ways.
    It then is not a deprivation of an asset if a joint account holder withdraws money from an account in their name.

Yes it would still be DoA, and she would also open her self up to having her money stolen by the joint account holders, so would be a stupid move.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

At the point of adding someone to the account there is an implicit gift potentially with deprivation issues.
  • badmemory
    Options
    When my mother was self funded in a care home I never worried about the fact that about 50% were LA funded it was never a problem. What I did sometimes think of the ones who had no visitors was who had got their money. Some had been professional people who no longer seemed to have any resources at all & at the first signs of dementia no visitors either. Hopefully the LAs will be more proactive now as money is tighter. I have absolutely no objection to paying for the care of the elderly that need it, but do object to subsidising someone whose relatives have taken the money for themselves.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just for info my MIL is in a nursing home in Bristol (which I consider pretty average i.e. not London, but not poor either).
    The private fees at her nursing home are £825 and LA rate is £670 (just provided so you can see what it costs).
    I don't think Bristol is either expensive nor cheap.
  • SVFM
    SVFM Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Sheltered accommodation is drastically cheaper than care home costs. To give away the proceeds from her house sale, trying to relay on the LA if she even needs nursing care IMO amounts to DOA. However if the grandchildren etc. are prepare to look after her should she need caring for there probably wouldn't be any problem. I think it is sad when people who have assets give them away to rely on LA should they need care. Your mother could always loan the grandchildren money with a written agreement for them to pay it back if they didn't want to take care of her.
    A close relative has just passed away who spent 5 years self funded in a care home (a lot of money). It upset me seeing them there (I had ill health so couldn't look after them and no other relative was prepared to) however I visited weekly taking them out and the nice thing about them not depriving themselves of assets was that they could move care home when they wanted and to where they wanted, rather than the LA choosing the home for them. Care homes can be great when you originally choose one however staff can change and conditions alter. In the 5 years my relative moved 3 times each time for the better, if she had not self funded this could not have happened as the cost of the homes was above the LA rates.
  • badmemory
    Options
    SVFM wrote: »
    Care homes can be great when you originally choose one however staff can change and conditions alter. In the 5 years my relative moved 3 times each time for the better, if she had not self funded this could not have happened as the cost of the homes was above the LA rates.

Totally agree with this, the home my mother was in the management changed & it went right downhill but my mother didn't want to change because she liked the girls who were looking after her, although some left because they didn't like some changes to the care. Fortunately the management soon changed again or we would have had to bite the bullet & change against her wishes. Definitely not something that we wanted to do.

As family we like to think that we can deal with any care that arises, but when the only people left are 2 with bad backs already, how do they deal with someone who needs lifting from wheelchair to chair to toilet etc. Not occasionally when they are having a bad day, but every single time.

So no don't allow her to deprive herself of her assets, she could very well need them. If she doesn't well why not encourage her to make a will, that would make sure that everything happens as she would want.
  • solanum55
    Options
    Hello,
    Thank you for the comments, it may be more help if I am more specific with facts and figures.
    My Mum is 88 and now lives in Abbeyfield Sheltered Housing with a carer coming in to help her bath shower, she can pay for this from her pension income and her cash savings.
    She has approx £150,000 cash savings which in sheltered housing will last her a long time.
    She has a bungalow worth £220,000 which now needs to be sold.
    If she sells it and adds the money to her savings that will total £370,000 in savings.
    She could just leave it sat there doing nothing much or she could use some of it to help her grandchildren with the deposit to get on the housing ladder.
    With her pension income, even if she needs to go into full care home costs, her savings will self fund her for approx 8 years (to age 96).
    So does she help the grandchildren now or just sit on a pile of cash?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport