Options
167891012»

Comments

• Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loanranger wrote: »
    Zither, go down to the local charity shops and get yourself kitted out with some woolly socks and jumpers and maybe some scarves and gloves.
    Or, put your heating on for longer.
    Either way you will feel warmer.
    As a last resort, wear a woolly hat round the house.

Haha yes. I might already do the scarf/woolly hat around the house :)
  • Zither
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    I was in work today rather than working from home. When I got in my smart meter told me I had used 93 pence so far that day.

When I am working from home it would have been nearing £4.

It costs me around £8 in petrol to go to work and back.

Working from home makes more sense!

Just a thought! Don't save pennies to waste pounds.

Good point! 😉
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    How fast the termperature rises in a given room depends on a lot of factors. Is the radiator the right size for the room, for example? If it's too small, then the room will take a long time to get hot. Is the boiler itself set to heat the water in the CH circuit as hot as it can be? Mine, which is a Vaillant has dial on the front to set the temperature of he water in the CH loop, turning that up from 60C to 70C makes a big difference. You have said there is insulation - 300mm in the loft is a good depth for the fibre roll stuff, do you have that much? My home is a bungalow so this is quite a big deal for me in keeping it warm, there is a lot of ceiling area.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Boiler will be fine. if it is working.

https://www.baxi.co.uk/-/media/websites/baxiuk/files/discontinued-products/combi-boilers/baxi-combi/baxi_combi_he_105_user_guide.pdf?la=en

Start with the boiler temp and the indicator lights what temp is the water getting to when the heating is on?

any fault lights on

Once started check the pump is running.how long before the radiators start warming up?
  • Zither
    Options
    Boiler will be fine. if it is working.

https://www.baxi.co.uk/-/media/websites/baxiuk/files/discontinued-products/combi-boilers/baxi-combi/baxi_combi_he_105_user_guide.pdf?la=en

Start with the boiler temp and the indicator lights what temp is the water getting to when the heating is on?

any fault lights on

Once started check the pump is running.how long before the radiators start warming up?

Thanks - yes boiler works... it just takes an age - 20+ mins - to heat all the rads up to a starter temp - like 2-3 cycles - and then a bit longer to get properly hot - hence why I wonder if the pipes are full of gunk? And even then some rads don’t get truly hot.

I’ve actually turned the heat dial on the boiler up to max now (80c)(snowing up north!) and the heating just doesn’t really seem to make a dent...unless I leave it on for hours. No fault lights etc as far as I can see.. :)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 29 November 2017 at 7:55PM
    Options
    Zither wrote: »
    Thanks - yes boiler works... it just takes an age - 20+ mins - to heat all the rads up to a starter temp - like 2-3 cycles - and then a bit longer to get properly hot - hence why I wonder if the pipes are full of gunk? And even then some rads don’t get truly hot.

I’ve actually turned the heat dial on the boiler up to max now (80c)(snowing up north!) and the heating just doesn’t really seem to make a dent...unless I leave it on for hours. No fault lights etc as far as I can see.. :)

I also have a Baxi combi boiler turned to 80. My radiators are too hot to touch 10 mins after the heating comes on. I’ve got seven radiators over three floors.

And I think your boiler is 30kw. Mine is 28.
  • Zither
    Options
    How fast the termperature rises in a given room depends on a lot of factors. Is the radiator the right size for the room, for example? If it's too small, then the room will take a long time to get hot. Is the boiler itself set to heat the water in the CH circuit as hot as it can be? Mine, which is a Vaillant has dial on the front to set the temperature of he water in the CH loop, turning that up from 60C to 70C makes a big difference. You have said there is insulation - 300mm in the loft is a good depth for the fibre roll stuff, do you have that much? My home is a bungalow so this is quite a big deal for me in keeping it warm, there is a lot of ceiling area.

Honestly not sure on the insulation - I think it will be up to an older standard - like 150ml or so. The loft is also boarded out so has plywood on top of the insulation.

Heating currently on 80 which is the max. Most the rads are single panels so I guess that means that they don’t circulate the heat that Well as double panel rads with fins? The Kitchen rad is definitely too small but the rest stack up size wise.

Haha it just feels like I should have quite a nice cozy house... but for some reason it isn’t! :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Have a feel of the pipes in and out of the boiler

is the return pipe warming up

Check the pump, some have multiple speeds.

20 mins to just start getting warm is too long
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I think at last you are getting down to the cause!!

As already posted your rads should be hot in ten to fifteen minutes after switch on. Without that there is no significant heat being output to your rooms.

So you now need to find the cause. Not unlimited to the following but a few simple steps of diagnosis may help pinpoint:

Before starting check that you have a small header tank and that it has water in it and that the ball float valve is working (depress slightly and water should enter)....set the programmer to on, temperature control on boiler to high and turn up any thermostat (s). If separate controls select heat only and not hot water for now.

1 boiler giving sufficient output. Seems ok by design (earlier post) so check the temperature of the output pipe. Should be too hot to touch so if you do not have a temperature meter feel how soon it rises to a too hot to touch temperature. That will be about 50 -60 degrees Celsius and should be there within a few minutes.
    2 circulation. Can you hear the pump running? (Assuming is pumped?). If you can get access to pipework further round the system the temperature should rise there too, a bit slower and maybe not quite as high (depending upon if heat is being dissipated but as you are not getting much heat output it should rise quite quickly and nearly as hot as the output from the boiler). That should confirm at least some circulation. If the pump feeds a hot water cylinder too and the water in it is cold then that will take some heat and slow things down. For house heating try to run it without hot water heating at the same time -note initial comment on control settings).
    3 if all that is working but a bit slow (say over five minutes take note of a previous post and if possible you can turn up the pump speed, for now.
    4 Do any rads get hot? If non it could be the heating valve that is a problem(not opening) or the electrical control to it. Presumption, you have one fitted!
    If previous steps are positive then it suggests that the rest of the system (boiler, circulation, water level) is fine. There is often a bypass route for the circulated hot water. The latter might be through a single radiator.
    5 for each radiator, check that the valve is open and that the flow control (often a screwdriver adjustable valve or possibly a settable temperature valve) is also fully open.
    6 if rad still cold entirely or in part try bleeding one to let out gasses that should be replaced by hot water. Use a cloth to catch drips and partially open the bleed valve with a bleeding key sufficient to let the 'air' out but do not fully unscrew! Close as soon as water appears. If air comes out then that will be replaced by hot water and the rad should heat. Repeat for all rads.

Rads cold or cooler at the top indicate a gas build up, cooler at the bottom indicate a build up of gunge!

If all goes well you ought to have heat. If not then further investigation will be necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure