Fair quote for RSJ installation plus a few extras

Options
Hi all

Hope someone could give me their wisdom please.

Had two quotes in for some work we want to try and get done:

Install a 5m RSJ . This steel will carry weight of back wall and gable end ofof house. Will probably require some work to strengthen foundations where nib will be.
Install a 3m RSJ that will "T" into the 5m one. This steel will carry first floor joists
Remove some brick work below these steels (not full walls - what is there is more like brick pillars)
Re-route a soil pipe and connect into drain at side of property
Move a radiator
Remove a light switch

I've had two firm quotes so far, one £9900, the other £8800. Another builder had a quick look and gave me a ball park of £6-£10k.

When I look online for what I could expect to pay for a basic steel I'm seeing prices of about £1500-2000. Which is making me think that £9k is rather a lot, even though I do have some additional things to do. But what do others think?

In West Yorkshire area.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    itgoodson wrote: »
    Install a 5m RSJ . This steel will carry weight of back wall and gable end ofof house. Will probably require some work to strengthen foundations where nib will be.
    Install a 3m RSJ that will "T" into the 5m one. This steel will carry first floor joists
    Remove some brick work below these steels (not full walls - what is there is more like brick pillars)
    Re-route a soil pipe and connect into drain at side of property
    Move a radiator
    Remove a light switch

I've had two firm quotes so far, one £9900, the other £8800. Another builder had a quick look and gave me a ball park of £6-£10k.

When I look online for what I could expect to pay for a basic steel I'm seeing prices of about £1500-2000. Which is making me think that £9k is rather a lot, even though I do have some additional things to do. But what do others think?

In West Yorkshire area.

Many thanks in advance

Have you had the structural engineers plans drawn up yet?

Your steel will have to be HUGE if its carrying 5m plus all the extra load.

until you have firm requirements any quote is guess work.
  • itgoodson
    Options
    Thanks - I have spoken to an SE who is able to give me a calc. Two builders who have given quotes came recommend by friends and said they have done lots of similar jobs so were willing to quote. The third said that ballpark figure 6-10k until I had a calculation and ideally a drawing.

What I am tempted to do is accept the second quote of £8800 as he comes recommend. He is also a qualified engineer. Don't mind paying a bit more for a good job - espeiclaly when the integrity of the house depends on it.

I'm just wondering if £8800 seems well above the odds, when a straightforward installation of steel and removal of wall is quoted online as £2k ish
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The people that have quoted have given similar figures. They have based their quotes on access, workload, labour requirements and material costings.

How on earth can you then say that the quote on a random website is accurate? Offer the people that have quoted £2k to do the job and see what response you get.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • itgoodson
    Options
    I appreciate the help. You misunderstand what I'm saying. The 2k figure I've seen on websites like The Building Sheriff is for a one off steel beam installation. Not the whole job!

I'm wondering on the basis of this whether I could expect reasonably to get a quote around 5400 based on the following guesses-

One steel = 2k
    Second smaller steel = 1k
    Re-route soil stack - 1k max surely?
    Rad move and light switch remove- 500 max?
    Add VAT 900
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate the help. You misunderstand what I'm saying. The 2k figure I've seen on websites like The Building Sheriff is for a one off steel beam installation. Not the whole job!

I'm wondering on the basis of this whether I could expect reasonably to get a quote around 5400 based on the following guesses-

One steel = 2k
    Second smaller steel = 1k
    Re-route soil stack - 1k max surely?
    Rad move and light switch remove- 500 max?
    Add VAT 900

Well evidently not, as the three quotes you have had are considerably more than £5400.00
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • itgoodson
    Options
    Yes ... Though one was anywhere between 6-10 depending on what an SE says.

I'm weighing up whether to take the 8800 price OR pay for an SE calc and prob a drawing too in hope that I can find a cheaper/fairer quote elsewhere.

I have come on this forum to see if anyone thinks £8800 sounds about right - "is this quote fair".

Neither quote has been itemised and the first builder whilst a nice guy didn't seem massively keen for the work, which makes me wonder if he put a high price in on basis that if he didn't get it he didn't care
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    Yes ... Though one was anywhere between 6-10 depending on what an SE says.

I'm weighing up whether to take the 8800 price OR pay for an SE calc and prob a drawing too in hope that I can find a cheaper/fairer quote elsewhere.

I have come on this forum to see if anyone thinks £8800 sounds about right - "is this quote fair".

Neither quote has been itemised and the first builder whilst a nice guy didn't seem massively keen for the work, which makes me wonder if he put a high price in on basis that if he didn't get it he didn't care

How can they give you an itemised quote if you dont have an itemised design!

until you can answer the questions

"what foundation work is required"
    and
    "what size and type of beam are required"

they will be rough guesses at best.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    Options
    Who's supplying the steels ?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should already have the steel calculations! When you say you don’t know if you should, that cost is going to be included in those builders’ quotes anyway. It has to be done.

If you don't even know if the foundations need underpinning then how do you know that the quotes are comprehensive?

You are not asking for a straightforward steel installation when you have more than one connecting in. Straightforward pricing times 1.5 does not apply!

I don’t know many jobbing builders that are qualified structural engineers?!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • itgoodson
    Options
    Tom_jones and Doozergirl thanks for the replies.

Steels - being supplied by the builder is all I know

Yes I agree of course, calcs have to be done - the two quotes I have had in have included the cost of doing the calcs.
    Yes not many builders are SEs, but this one is. It's a bigger company. He's the head honcho.

If people think that £8800 doesn't sound too far off for what I'm having done I'm inclined to accept. The builder giving that quote says it's 2 and a half week's work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure