Roundabout Near Miss

Options

Comments

• Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    This happens to me every day. I live near Stansted Airport and every roundabout is full of drivers who have no idea where they're going but are quite happy to go around each roundabout several times in the left-hand lane whilst we all play avoidance games.
    I just shrug now, you can usually predict who's going to do it anyway.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    If you are not sure which exit you need then the left-hand lane is the one to be in; I've done that and it seems quite reasonable. The person in the inner lane shouldn't assume the one in the outer is turning off.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Perhaps ... but you should at least signal your intention to be going further around the roundabout.
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Something to do with the vehicle being 53ft long and needing to take a wider line around the roundabout to account for the trailer taking the shortest path. York ring road has a particularly bad 2 lane roundabout at the junction with the A59 which when approaching from the west on the A59 to turn right on the ring road it is safest to straddle both lanes in the truck when you get to the give way line because of the sheer amount of car driving morons who fail to understand why it is a bad idea to try to barge past you.

Nope nothing to do with that. This a major motorway junction roundabout that I'm talking about. LOADS of room for HGV to get around in the correct lanes, no problem.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been in the wrong lane a few times. But I do what I was told whilst learning - follow the signs/markings for the lane I am in and find a suitable place to turn around.

That being said, personally I'd go for the left lane at that roundabout for Ravenscraig although I do agree with OP its straight on and not left. There are 3 exits (not counting the one you approach from). Therefore if there are 3 directions indicated by road markings (left, straight on and right) they should each correspond to 1 exit.

There is a roundabout out by Lanark/Whitburn/Livingston way, Google informs me its called Boghead Roundabout. You can see on the first sign that the 1st Exit is signed as Bathgate B7002, 2nd is Broxburn A706, 3rd is Livingston, Edinburgh, Glasgow A801 (M8) and last is Whitburn, Lanark A706. Next sign tells you left lane for Bathgate B7002 and Livingston A7066, right lane for A801 (M8) and Whitburn A706. Yet the number of people who go in the left lane purely because the sign says "Livingston" and they don't even look at the road numbers. If they did, they'd realise they should be in the right lane (for the 3rd exit).

If the shape of the roundabout is accurately portrayed on the road sign then there's very little space to change lanes between the second and third exits so you'd have to start changing lanes as you approached the second exit, thus possibly being hampered by anyone exiting at the second exit. This being the case my instinct would be to enter the roundabout from the left hand lane, leaving the right hand one for traffic heading for Whitburn. This is a common sense decision but I could defend it to roundabout purists by claiming that the third exiit is actually straight on for which convention says use left hand lane.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now, children, what is today's lesson we can take from this...?

How about 'If you find yourself in the wrong lane, don't blindly keep going round the roundabout, contrary to road markings, but just take the exit you're in the lane for, turn, and give it another go, instead of being the (arguably partial) cause of an accident'.
    But the other car didn't manoeuvre, it carried on in the same lane

The road markings at the entrance to the roundabout gave the other car TWO options. The other car took a THIRD option. There are special instructions at this roundabout, which trump the general rules.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    The road markings at the entrance to the roundabout gave the other car TWO options. The other car took a THIRD option. There are special instructions at this roundabout, which trump the general rules.
    Yep. And that was hardly unpredictable, was it? Yet the OP still put themselves into a position where that nearly resulted in a collision.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I feel your pain OP, my number 1 rule whilst driving is to assume everyone else is complete and utter idiot. When I have such issues, my wife always ask me how on earth do I keep my call. I say to her I imagined it happening 10 seconds before so have already stopped being angry about it.

No idea what keep my call means !!!!!!!!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No idea what keep my call means !!!!!!!!
    Keep my calm.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Keep my calm.

Never heard that expression either I heard of keep my cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure