Roundabout Near Miss

Options
DoaM
DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Praise, Vent & Warnings ...

Had a near miss on a roundabout last night.

Google Link

The link shows the road from my direction of travel. I was in the right-hand lane intending to take the 2nd exit (straight on). Another vehicle was in the left-hand lane ... per the lane markings they'd be expected to go left (1st exit) or straight on (2nd exit). (The left lane had lots of traffic, and they mostly go left though some go straight on, hence why I used the quieter right lane).

We were almost side-by-side going around the roundabout, although (fortunately for me and my observation) they were slightly ahead ... you can guess what's coming....

The other car decided to keep going round to go right (3rd exit)! As I said, I saw their manoeuvre and was able to stamp on the brakes to avoid hitting them ... they continued on oblivious to what they had done. (I didn't blast the horn ... I concentrated on stopping). What is it about some people and their complete lack of understanding of how to read road markings and use roundabouts?

Ironically, as I moved off again to take the exit someone blasted their horn at ME! :D

Comments

• kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do you hope to achieve with this thread?

Okay, some people don't drive as excellently and precisely as you do.... and, of course, you'd never make a mistake either. I bet you've never been on an unfamiliar road and got in the wrong lane.
  • DoaM
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »
    What do you hope to achieve with this thread?

Why do I have to aim to achieve anything? This is a discussion forum, isn't it?

If you don't like the topic or content, don't respond - seemples! :)
    kmb500 wrote: »
    I bet you've never been on an unfamiliar road and got in the wrong lane.

There's no excuse for inattention and ignoring road markings. And one thing I forgot to mention - the other party didn't indicate at all, even when taking the exit.
  • Nathaniel_Essex
    Options
    I feel your pain OP, my number 1 rule whilst driving is to assume everyone else is complete and utter idiot. When I have such issues, my wife always ask me how on earth do I keep my call. I say to her I imagined it happening 10 seconds before so have already stopped being angry about it.
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This practice at roundabouts happens to me almost every day on my way to work. And it's normally HGV drivers that do it !
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Maybe the other driver realised too late that they needed the next exit; happens. Also if you are going straight on, its safer to use the left-hand lane, the right-hand lane being for the third (right-hand) exit only is what I was taught. Agree road markings not helping. Also were you indicating your intention to leave the roundabout?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    This practice at roundabouts happens to me almost every day on my way to work. And it's normally HGV drivers that do it !

From the Highway Code:
    "Rule 187

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to ... long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals."
  • DoaM
    Options
    Also were you indicating your intention to leave the roundabout?

Yes I was.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    I see this sort of thing nearly every other day.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    There are a lot of stupid things that people do, which they think is correct, because they've "always done it that way", usually it starts with one misunderstanding 20 years ago and now that's how they drive.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Had a near miss on a roundabout last night.

Google Link

The link shows the road from my direction of travel. I was in the right-hand lane intending to take the 2nd exit (straight on). Another vehicle was in the left-hand lane ... per the lane markings they'd be expected to go left (1st exit) or straight on (2nd exit).

You were coming from the north on the A723. 12 o'clock.
    LH lane is signed left and straight.
    RH lane is signed straight and right.

You were not taking the first exit - 2 o'clock. B7029
    You were taking the second exit - 4 o'clock. Unnumbered, but dual carriageway.
    The other car was taking the third exit - 8 o'clock. A723.
    We were almost side-by-side going around the roundabout, although (fortunately for me and my observation) they were slightly ahead ... you can guess what's coming....

Oh, yes. Yes, indeed...
    The other car decided to keep going round to go right (3rd exit)! As I said, I saw their manoeuvre and was able to stamp on the brakes to avoid hitting them ... they continued on oblivious to what they had done.
    There's a strong argument to say that A723 to A723 is straight on, y'know, and that the 4 o'clock exit is left...

But, really, it's academic.

You passed the first exit, more-or-less side-by-side with another vehicle to your left.
    You ASSUMED he was going to take the next exit. Well, what a surprise. He didn't...
    What is it about some people and their complete lack of understanding of how to read road markings and use roundabouts?

Rule 1 of defensive driving - NEVER go round a two-lane roundabout side-by-side with another vehicle... ESPECIALLY when you're still in the RH lane and your exit is next up.

If you'd hit him, 50/50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport