PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd July 2017

Options
Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,344 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 July 2017 at 10:46AM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have something Flylady-related!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

IF ANYONE WANTS ANYTHING ADDED TO THE LISTS, WHEN EACH DAY IS DUE TO BE ADDED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

Right here goes:

Magnificent Monday ~Crabby kitchen!
Level One

Clear and wipe worksurfaces
Empty and wash out the bin.. make it smell sweet!
Level Two
Wipe all appliances.. large and small
Wipe over units and kickboards
Sweep and mop the floor
Level Three
Sort and wipe a cupboard.. throw away all those germ harbouring chipped plates and mugs!
Thoroughly clean the oven and hob
Wipe the table.. does it need a clean cloth?

Extras
  • Wash any filters that need it.. don't forget the extractor hood!
  • Wash the windows if they need it
  • Clean/descale a small appliance.. shake the crumbs from the toaster.. defuzz the kettle...
  • Scrub out the fridge.. incorporate those 'slightly wilting' things into your meal plan!

Tingling Tuesday ~ Living Room/s, Hall, Stairs
Level one

Declutter the floors and flat surfaces
Empty and wash out wastepaper baskets etc
Level Two
Wipe sofas
Vacuum floors... or mop them.. whatever..
Wipe over any paintwork/doors etc
Level three
Vacuum under furniture you are able to move without injuring yourself
Wash any soft furnishings
Do a BIIIIIIG declutter... toys gone, shoes gone, paperwork gone...

Extras
  • Wipe and water neglected plants
  • Dust and deweb
  • Wash any windows that are in need
  • Binbag dance!

Wrinkly Wednesday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
Level One

Clean floors in these rooms
Level Two
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three
Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins! (the proper bins not the rooms that look like bins!)
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Clear a mega hotspot!.. shred it.. and fling it.. or just burn it!

Extras
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • clean the radiators in these rooms
  • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
  • Gather up the dirty laundry upstairs!!
  • HHI... a bit more gone!

Tantalising Thursday ~ Master bedroom, hall, stairs and landing!
Level One
Strip, wash and replace the bedding.. leave the mattress and duvet to air!
Declutter the floor.. and vacuum it!
Level Two
Put away all the shoes and clothes and bags and belts and ties lying around!
Wash the curtains/nets and clean the window before rehanging them!
Dust away the webs and fluff
Level Three
Sort through a box of stuff... I have about a million to do!
If it hasn't been done in a while vacuum and turn the mattress
Tidy up a cupboard of clothing

Extras
  • HHI
  • Binbag dance
  • If any children are due shoe checks/opticians/dentists today is the day to sort these out!

Final Friday ~ Frightening Kids rooms and Spare rooms
Level One.
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Make an appointment for some ME-time.. hairdressers? manicure? night out with friends? .. whatever just do it!
Level Two
Vacuum the floor
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Level Three
Clean 2 windows
Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors

Extras...
  • Find 5 things to ebay/freecycle
  • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
  • HHI
  • Binbag dance!!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you Natty for the new thread and Valli for last week's.

This is the last week of my placement, with just a few informal meetings to attend.
    I hope to do a bit of flying every day, as well as deal with some paper frogs and gardening. DGS3+4 are coming to stay next week, so I need to clear my study and turn it into their bedroom.

DH has got to go to the other side of the big city to pick up a railwayman's hat that he left on the bus a few weeks ago - the driver recognised him yesterday and told him that it had been handed in!

Well done pigpen and OH on a successful flying day today :T :T

(((Hugs))) (especially to FBO) spoons and sticks all round x
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh no! I definitely don't deserve to be early reporting in for the week!
    Thank you Valli for last week's lists and to Natty for this week's.
    What a weekend! I will need to be in this week big time, as things seem to have gone to pot over the last couple of days. FiL was blue lighted to hospital yesterday, so that's upset the norm. Lots on this week to juggle, but will need to keep up as best I can.
    Oh, and belated atta-girl ATB!
    Well done Iona on getting to the end of your placement.
  • Duckydo
    Duckydo Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Valli and Natty for the lists.

Sounds like you've had a very successful day Pigpen :T
    Really hope your fil is ok Fayolle, blue lighting anyone to hospital brings back memories and sends shivers down my spine.

I'm in again this week, and glad its the kitchen tomorrow and it's been slightly neglected over the last week and the floor definitely needs doing after being in and out over the last 2 days. Spent the weekend in the garden and the top of it is looking soo much better, would post a pic, but can't work out how to do it.

Hugs, sticks and spoons to everyone xx
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the lists. I definitely need to do each room thoroughly as there is......evidence........that a bird somehow got into our house while we were away. Apart from clearing up the evidence, I am in dread that it has died somewhere and we'll find it sometime in the future.
    Weekend has been catching up on washing, gardening and communications generally (emails, phone calls, post etc).
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having spent the day working with my colleague and marrying her bits of reports with mine I am shattered. But I've done some ironing Though there's more to do. But, in 3 weeks it will be the hols and I will be flying then...

Thanks Natty. Will be in after a fashion.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Natty for this week's thread and Valli for last week. I will try very hard to join in this week. Feeling a bit down after a shouty row with DH and a tiring round journey to Sussex, too much wine and the added stress of entertaining DSS's GF for the weekend.

I have so much to do today, in addition to supervising the pouring of 80 cubic metres of concrete for the flood wall foundations. :eek: But that's OK, 'cos I don't work for a living...:mad:

Belated birthday wishes Bossy - sorry I missed a timely post on the day x

Onwards and upwards girls :T
  • katiecat
    katiecat Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning All

Bit unwell last couple of weeks but seem brighter over weekend so hope it continues.
    Thanks both for last weeks thread and this weeks. WM doing its stuff but raining at the moment - hope it brightens up soon.
    Kitchen messy so will finish my cuppa and then make a start.

Hugs
    katiecat x
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning,

Thanks for the lists ladies xx

I'm in this week, although I need a few groceries this morning - will pop to @ldi in a bit. My MAD half hours will be health-related. I'm not sleeping properly, probably too much daylight ;) and as a consequence I'm overtired and neglecting simple stuff.

So, kitchen it is. My black bin is full so I'll have to squash to get any more in. I'm having a coffee first, though.

Hope you all have a productive day xx
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Duckydo
    Duckydo Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Morning stuff done. Meal plan for the week made, shopping list wrote out, in to town for a few bits to make a present for DD signing teacher who's leaving to start a new job. Quick run round the park with DD on her 'bike', not that she peddles just sits there while I push it along. Food shopping done and put away, just having some lunch then when DD is down for a nap I'll tackle the kitchen.
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    I think i am still hungover :o:o:o

Thanks so much for the lists. I have dragged myself in for 2 hours paid stuff this morning, now having a brew whilst catching up with laundry.

Need to nip to MiLs, post office and for my smear test :o:o before I pick kiddies up.

Big hugs to all those who need them xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport