PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserving, it has started

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sharp pointy knife if it has a flat lid, a punch to make a tiny hole in the disc
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got started at the weekend:

First batch was Apple/Chilli Jam and the second in the pic below is Pear/Chilli jam:

46851896.fcd0a736.1600.jpg

I have a lot of chillis in my greenhouse this year, so last night I bought the spices I need to make a few bottles of Chinese chilli oil.

When the next lot are ripe, I have my eye on a recipe for Pineapple/chilli jam - but I reckon substituting the chillis for a healthy shot of Rum might also make for a very nice all-round jam. :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Opening Kilner jars - my Waiters Friend type corkscrew has got a thing on it for popping off beer caps which is perfect for getting under the edge of the lid and levering it off

I've been doing lots of elderflower cordial. I used to do it in old wine vinegar bottles 500ml just the right amount to use at a time. But they wouldn't fit in my pressure cooker (too tall) so in order to get a seal so it lasted I used to process them in a deep water bath (water has to come right over the top for water bath). This year I decided to do them in ordinary Kilner jars and process them in a pressure cooker and it seems to have worked fine though it does seem a bit of a waste of the lids. As and when I open them I'll decant the contents into a pretty swing top bottle.

I have only done rhubarb puree this year rather than rhubarb chunks. It's gorgeous in Delia Smith's rhubarb crumble ice cream. I cook it with orange zest and juice before pureeing and it actually tastes just like passionfruit. I might do some chunks as the plot is still producing but I think I'll water bath them because the fruit rises in the jar if I pressure cook them even though I cram them as full as I can
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ahh good to read that about your pressure cooking maryb, ok water bath it is then.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I have so much to learn here.

So far I have 11 whizzed up ice cubes of oregano. :cool:

I too have chilli jam in my sights but my chilli's suffered while I was away and I'm unsure if they will be prolific. I have 2 pollinated chilli's on 3 plants. I hope that I can raise enough for just one jar.

Anyway. I'm all eyes and ears and have the newbie enthusiasm that will be eating up (not literally) all your inspiration.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nonnadiluc rhubarb wine is delish - DH uses the recipe in the River Cottage Booze book ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for that. I will check the library for the HFW book. OH doesn't drink wine though so I will have to drink it all myself, oh dear, how sad, never mind!!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Thank you for the tip. The compote sounded to good to resist. So as soon as I got the 2 little ones to sleep (no easy task) I went straight into the garden and grabbed some rhubarb and strawberries and made it. The whole house smells amazing. How long does it keep in the fridge? I'm trying to think of ideas to use it now. Thanks again x
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Uss the compote in yogurt, on ice-cream, as a topping to a poece of cake..
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to make various chutneys & jams but don't know the kids have left home & I'm not regularly feeding the bottomless pits of them & their mates.
    I have a bramble patch at the bottom of my garden and every year I make bramble vodka or gin to give as gifts at Christmas. I think there would be an outcry if I stopped doing this!

A couple of years ago I had a glut of radishes due to bad planning on my part. I made this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pickled-radishes-ginger-chilli and my word was it good. The radish colour did bleed after a few months but they kept most of their crunch until Christmas after which they were all gone. Well worth making if you have too many.
    I've scaled back most of my growing but still end up with excess at times, some is planned like beans and tomatoes but courgettes can tricky if I get loads. I'm not keen on courgette soup, find they don't freeze great as a veg and don't want to pickle them. Has anyone tried dehydrating them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure