PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

sale fallen through - is bridging loan my only option?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    When we lost our buyer at the 11th hour in 2007 we remortgaged our home in order to buy the next one. Our broker suggested we tell our current mortgage co we wanted additional funds for home improvements but we didn't want to lie so we applied for a separate new mortgage (with no early redemption penalties!) and then we paid it off when we sold the house 6 weeks later.
    Another option would be to apply for a buy-to-let mortgage on your current home, keep it while you sort out the new place, buy it, get moved in etc then you'll be able to do as you like with the old house - sell it, or consider let it for a bit.

Either of these options would give you the breathing space without scary bridging loans. I wonder if you're not finding much info about people using them online because they just aren't used these days. They're a thing of the past.
  • tudorfan22
    tudorfan22 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Hoploz, I have been half advised to see if my current provider would increase my mortgage and of course it'd be chaper than a bridging loan. but my mortgage advisor wasn't too hopeful of success considering that I would be using the money to effectively leave the country. they may be risk averse to lending on that basis. so...considering what your port suggests, should I apply to my mortgage company but not be super explicit - or even tell a fib - about the reasons for wanting the extra. it sounds dishonest to me and I think theyd smell a rat.
    one thought was to say it was for a place in spain - just not tell them that id be leaving the UK to live there?
    thoughts?
    )

:beer:
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    I would be weary of the true cost of the bridging loan.

The cost of it being ~£3,500 is based on

1) You are able to complete within the next 6 months
    2) You sell for the same price you was about to sell at now

If either of these change (particulary 2) when feeling like you are against the clock), you may find the true cost a lot more than £3500.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tudorfan22 wrote: »
    thanks Hoploz, I have been half advised to see if my current provider would increase my mortgage and of course it'd be chaper than a bridging loan. but my mortgage advisor wasn't too hopeful of success considering that I would be using the money to effectively leave the country. they may be risk averse to lending on that basis. so...considering what your port suggests, should I apply to my mortgage company but not be super explicit - or even tell a fib - about the reasons for wanting the extra. it sounds dishonest to me and I think theyd smell a rat.
    one thought was to say it was for a place in spain - just not tell them that id be leaving the UK to live there?
    thoughts?

Just accept that you need a buyer, and work from there, don`t try it on with the bank, it will probably backfire on you.
  • tudorfan22
    Options
    thanks but my buyer wont come along in time for me to complete on the other house. even if I found a buyer today - its getting to be too late unless they could push the sale through in under a few weeks - which is highly unlikely
    )

• Crashy_Time
    Options
    thanks but my buyer wont come along in time for me to complete on the other house. even if I found a buyer today - its getting to be too late unless they could push the sale through in under a few weeks - which is highly unlikely

In that case you are not really in a position to buy the other house.......
  • tudorfan22
    Options
    too late - deposits been paid, that's how it works in spain. - hence my question in my OP
    )

• Crashy_Time
    Options
    too late - deposits been paid, that's how it works in spain. - hence my question in my OP

Well looks like some kind of bridging loan then, or lose the deposit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure