After redundancy

Options
Aloha I have recently been made redundant received my payments etc had a break over Christmas and now ready to tackle what’s next.
I am wanting to change career path after training and being a car mechanic for 11 years. I was made redundant I no longer wish to follow the same path. I would like to retrain but not sure of where to start. At the moment I am unemployed I am in the middle of finding out if I’m entitled to any form of benefit. But my main question is how do I go about getting funded training? Do I need to sign on first? Do I need to apply directly to a training provider and go from there? Do I need to speak to the job centre about any of this or are they just for job hunting? Will my redundancy affect whether I am entitled to funded training? Any advise and reccedatioms appreciated thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure what funded training you expect to get; but surely you have a redundancy payment to pay for it?
  • Heymicky
    Options
    Hi,

My husband was made redundant and as he had worked for previous 24 years qualified for contribution based job seekers allowance. This was completed online and appointment then sent to take I'd to job centre. Without this job centre wouldn't see him.

He's had support to access training through skills development centre and job centre. He got £200 towards training which isn't much but better than nothing.

He finds going to job centre difficult as it's the first time but just before Christmas was a tricky time.

Hoping new year brings a job.

Good luck.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Being made redundant sucks.

Have a look at apprenticeships - they're a great way of combining retraining with working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure