Which professions do you think are overworked/underpaid? Similarly which are well paid?

Options

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Overworked and Under paid

Veterinary Nurses.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    You could argue that no job is over or under paid, every job is paid exactly what it's worth. Market forces and all that.
    The fact that the Nhs recruits so many doctors from 3rd world countries would suggest that the rates arent attractive enough to many potential medics in the UK. Its one area where i would be happy to pay more tax to increase funding.
    This is true, the vast majority of people do earn under £30k but there's a few earning a lot more who push up the "average" figure.

Yes, the median figure is a better indicator for that reason. The ONS site will quote it (but i cba to look it up).

The average must also be skewed the other way though by high earners who put their pay through limited companies and ostensibly pay themselves NME, taking the rest as dividends. Anyway.

OP when does your loan get written off? Is it 30 years after the end of the degree?
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redlfc wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking most of you in finance/consulting/IT/engineering jobs are paid over 45k a couple of years post 3 year degrees? Im not saying this to try and devalue other careers - its more I feel that doctors are significantly underpaid when you consider the stress of job/unsociable hours/time spent to get to this position. I just want to know thoughts of people as it seems most of my friends are earning around 50k at the age of 25 with that likely to go up and up in a fairly short space of time.
    No, you're not right.

You're far better paid than most newly qualified accountants, most of whom will have done a 3 yr degree plus a further 3 yrs training and qualifications and likely to be on around £30k at your age. There will also be a smaller percentage hit 6 figure salaries than in medicine.

Or......... you could be an academic. 3 yr undergraduate degree, plus commonly a 1 yr masters degree, plus minimum 3 yrs PhD so many aged 25 are not yet actually in a paid job. In terms of time spent to get to a decent salary, medicine has got nothing on higher education. First jobs as a postdoctorate are lucky to earn £30k. The number of academics who will hit the 6 figure salary is tiny.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    PhDs are normally paid aren’t they?
  • Iheart
    Iheart Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    I am a carer for adults with physical and complex needs.

I get paid minimum wage. I get shouted at, abused, have had my hair pulled and have been bitten and hit. I deal with every bodily fluid imaginable and today I have had a plate of dinner thrown at me. The job is made harder due to a massive turnover in staff and cuts from everywhere.

I feel under paid and under valued but I love my job and the service users I support. It can be so hard sometimes though.
    SPC12 #106
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fact that the Nhs recruits so many doctors from 3rd world countries would suggest that the rates arent attractive enough to many potential medics in the UK.

No shortage of quality applicants to medical school - just a chronic lack of available training places. There was a time when the BMA actually rejected increasing the number of places - perhaps wanting to keep shortages to keep up their pay!
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not exactly paid, but I believe in the UK students can access a stipend to cover living expenses. National Minimum Doctoral Stipend for 2018/19 is £14,777.

Certainly a lot less than the salaries other professions earn doing their postgraduate training.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know a few civil engineers and they'd be doing well to be on £45k for 40-hour weeks three years post grad. More like £30k. I know one civil engineer who is well into his fifties and only on about £38k. Possible to earn more by working long hours of course. The few mechanical and electrical engineers I've come across seem to be on a bit more but not by much and again, to earn a lot they have to work very long hours. I also know a few quantity surveyors and there is no way on earth a typical QS is on £950 per day. The last freelance QS we had was on £300 per day, which is equivalent to about £45k all things considered, and he was in his fifties.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wobblydeb wrote: »
    Not exactly paid, but I believe in the UK students can access a stipend to cover living expenses. National Minimum Doctoral Stipend for 2018/19 is £14,777.
    At a guess, more PhD students would be funded than not, but some do self-fund because competition can be intense.

DS3 was on the stipend for his PhD which was funded by a company and he had to do a three month placement with them.

also the stipend is tax free ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • guccininja
    Options
    Very interesting thread, which I can relate to on a personal and professional level.

1. I used to manage Doctors and Nurses for an international Private Healthcare company as a Regional Ops Manager.
    2. 2 of my awesome sisters are doctors, 1 in Medicine and the other in Marine Biology. Medical doctor is first year and the latter is 5+ years into her career.

In my experience of working with Doctors and Nurses, I was shocked at the attitudes of some regarding these professionals putting money before everything, we paid the doctors to work 4 shifts per week, 2 days/2 nights (on call) at £75,000, plus OT rates, 6-8 weeks holidays and 10% pension (NHS is 13% if I remember correctly from my TUPE data).

NHS doctors are not paid well considering the effort/dedication to earn that title and should be looked as a stepping stone to gaining experience and going private. This is if your outlook is for financial gain. I will add, I love our NHS, it kept my partner alive and delivered our "miracle" baby so I am VERY grateful for these doctors.

I work with Wealthy Families who use Medical Agencies and for a 5 minute visit/"consultation" in London is £300. This is common for people with the cash to use these options. I can only imagine what these doctors earn, albeit a small percentage of doctors.

On a side note, my medical sister has a partner who is an IT brain box, zero Uni debt, is 22 years old on around £50-55k a year and will highly likely be on 6 figures before he is 30. As mentioned, the world is focused on IT/IT Security at the moment as our modern world relies on it. I think the average wage for IT Security is around £75k and rose by 16% last year.

As always, educated or not, hard work, focus and determination will generally see you ok in life.
    Soon to be August 2020....
    Zero Debt - 2 years clean
    2018 income - £97,500
    2019 income - £112,500
    2020 income projected - Surviving.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts