Which professions do you think are overworked/underpaid? Similarly which are well paid?

Options

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I’m a lawyer and I definitely have to be on call at anti social hours, work nights and weekends and do more than a 40 hour week and have done since I was newly qualified. Lawyers don’t get paid overtime for this either so you need to compare your actual take home pay with their published pay to get a true comparison.

Lots of professional jobs come with deadlines which means that there will be long hours, weekend work and antisocial hours attached but possibly not predictably rota’d as in the medical profession.

However a medical degree will be a passport to a range of graduate jobs so if you don’t like your current and projected future earnings OP and think the grass is greener elsewhere, just stop being a doctor and do something you perceive as better paid for the time commitment
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    According to this the average earnings for a GP in 2016/7 were £92.5k. https://files.digital.nhs.uk/05/386344/gp-earn-exp-1617-rep.pdf

Which doesn't reflect that many will be working part time, so the full time equivalent figure will be more than £92.5k.

Also, the figures only include those earning under NHS contracts, so those who are fully freelance or locums won't be included either - these again will be earning more than contracted GPs, so if you included them, again, the average would increase above £92.5k.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dont think its fair to use gross salary including weekend work if others dont have to work on a weekend ..
    As Nicky posted, it might not be in people's job descriptions, but I don't know one executive whatever their field that doesn't work evenings and weekends. They don't have to on paper, ut the reality is that if they don't, they won't keep up and therefore pass by opportunities for promotions.

In the end very few jobs come with a £100k salary without mental strain, expectation of flexibility, and resilience whatever the sector.
  • JKGB
    JKGB Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work in finance and I left uni in 2013, I don't earn £45k!
  • UserName123
    Options
    My doctor friend has bought a £300k house :/ she’s mid thirties and loving by herself
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    What sort of job in finance, though?

The amounts mentioned above are for graduates in investment banking.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 1:02AM
    Options
    redlfc wrote: »
    My main grievance is with the salary I get for the hours/stressload I experience at work. The basic salary for FY1 Doctor is 26,614 for a 40 hour week - this is increased with additional nights/weekends/bank holiday/evening on calls - so it depends on what rotation you are on but I was being paid 30,450 for working 1 in 4/5 weekends (12.5 hour shifts Friday-Sun) +the rest of the of the nights/on calls

Truck driver here. In the top five most dangerous jobs in the UK. One of the most unhealthy jobs in the UK. Some of the longest hours and low pay. Average working week is 55hrs excluding breaks with most drivers either starting or finishing between 3am and 6am in the morning. Maximum working week is 84hrs. Quite a lot of drivers leave home early hours Monday morning and don't get back until late Friday or Saturday, sleeping in the truck every night often in laybys where there isn't even a toilet let alone somewhere to get a hot meal and a shower at the end of a 15hr shift. Hourly pay for many is not much different to an Aldi shelf stacker. If you're earning £35k for a 55hr week you're doing very well and not many earn much over £40k without banging in some seriously mental hours every week. Career progression is basically non-existent. Most of us only now have a pension because the Workplace Pension gave employers no choice.

As a junior doctor i'd suggest not complaining to lorry drivers about long hours and low pay unless you'd like them to die from a heart attack from laughing that hard.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    redlfc wrote: »
    Out of interest whats the starting salary post 3 year degree for people in your firm?
    It varies massively depending on location and practice area.

For lawyers, 3 years post-degree usually means just coming to the end of a stint as a trainee solicitor (1 year professional training + 2 years as a trainee solicitor; or an additional year's training for non-law graduates).

People at that level at corporate type city firms in central London will be on £35-45k depending on the firm (and will normally have to rent near central London). Outside London it would be more like £20k.

There is admittedly a bump the following year on qualification to about £60k for most business solicitors in central London firms, perhaps £35-40k for business solicitors elsewhere in the country, less than that for people in non-business practice areas.
  • redlfc
    redlfc Posts: 101 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 6:56AM
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    I’m a lawyer and I definitely have to be on call at anti social hours, work nights and weekends and do more than a 40 hour week and have done since I was newly qualified. Lawyers don’t get paid overtime for this either so you need to compare your actual take home pay with their published pay to get a true comparison.

Lots of professional jobs come with deadlines which means that there will be long hours, weekend work and antisocial hours attached but possibly not predictably rota’d as in the medical profession.

However a medical degree will be a passport to a range of graduate jobs so if you don’t like your current and projected future earnings OP and think the grass is greener elsewhere, just stop being a doctor and do something you perceive as better paid for the time commitment

Thanks - yes my sister is also a lawyer and I agree depending on what field (shes in Criminal) the pay can be really surprising (and shocking) as you usually associate lawyers with having a great salary - for instance one of my friends at Uni who studied law is now on 75k and shes a couple of years behind my sister on law terms

Very much depends on what field though - criminal solicitors salary is very low in comparison to other fields - she does do weekend work and on calls where she could be called up at any time of the day to attend a police station. After 1 year LPC her salary on training contract was 17k for the 2 years! And thats working in greater London. Even after training contract has finished shes still on late 20k whilst working in central London and I do think for the amount she does she's vastly underpaid
  • redlfc
    redlfc Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    It varies massively depending on location and practice area.

For lawyers, 3 years post-degree usually means just coming to the end of a stint as a trainee solicitor (1 year professional training + 2 years as a trainee solicitor; or an additional year's training for non-law graduates).

People at that level at corporate type city firms in central London will be on £35-45k depending on the firm (and will normally have to rent near central London). Outside London it would be more like £20k.

There is admittedly a bump the following year on qualification to about £60k for most business solicitors in central London firms, perhaps £35-40k for business solicitors elsewhere in the country, less than that for people in non-business practice areas.

thansks - yup my sister is a lawyer just commented below regarding their job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure