free payroll software recommendations?

Options
I'm looking for free payroll software that is actually free, I'm the director of my own limited company.
been using moneysoft until now when I had employees but now theres only me and I don't want to have to pay £80 a year for something if i can get it for free

it's a bit of a minefield, they all say they are free and then it turns out they aren't and want you to pay, or they can't print payslips. which i suppose wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'd prefer one that does the basics for free and is easy to use.

so far tried IRIS basics, it doesn't print payslips
and brightpay free, it is free but only untill next year and I don't want the hassle of changing systems in a few months time

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2019 at 10:32PM
    Options
    fenwick458 wrote: »
    I'm looking for free payroll software that is actually free, I'm the director of my own limited company.
    been using moneysoft until now when I had employees but now theres only me and I don't want to have to pay £80 a year for something if i can get it for free

it's a bit of a minefield, they all say they are free and then it turns out they aren't and want you to pay, or they can't print payslips. which i suppose wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'd prefer one that does the basics for free and is easy to use.

so far tried IRIS basics, it doesn't print payslips
    and brightpay free, it is free but only untill next year and I don't want the hassle of changing systems in a few months time

https://www.gov.uk/payroll-software/free-software

Not all will allow you to print payslips; some allow it for a limited period only. EnrolPay says it allows the printing of payslips free. There may be others. (Edit: Stansoft also seems to allow it, but it's an entire accounting package, so not sure how easy it is to get used to)

Although it's not very difficult to knock up a payslip on Excel, especially if it's just for you.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Not free but I use Quickbooks. It's only £1 a month per employee which for the facilities it gives - app based time sheet and leave request submissions, payslips online, printed or app. It also syncs with Nest and HMRC so there literally is nothing to do other than approve the timesheets/leave. Saves me SO much time.
  • Yugen_Bonsai
    Options
    waveapps com/payroll is a brilliant, free service. Highly recommended.

Sorry, can't post links!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2019 at 2:37PM
    Options

Sorry, can't post links!
    it might be me but https://www.waveapps.com/payroll does not appear to be available in the UK

The (?) only truly free payroll software i know is HMRC's own PAYE Basics system - which has the major limitation that it does not print payslips so you have to manually create them outside of that software (eg. in Word or Excel)

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    it might be me but https://www.waveapps.com/payroll appears to only work in USA and Canada?

Ans isn't GDPR compliant
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    it might be me but https://www.waveapps.com/payroll does not appear to be available in the UK

The (?) only truly free payroll software i know is HMRC's own PAYE Basics system - which has the major limitation that it does not print payslips so you have to manually create them outside of that software (eg. in Word or Excel)

Poster appears to be post building. 10 random useless posts in less than an hour yesterday......take that whichever way it suits
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Poster appears to be post building. 10 random useless posts in less than an hour yesterday......take that whichever way it suits
    yes, I did have a look at his history to see if obviously USA, but not clearly apparent. Still we all had to start somewhere so I gave him benefit of doubt (for now)
  • NutWorld
    Options

Sorry, can't post links!
    Never heard of it before.
    Why is it brilliant? Who recommends it, and why have you seemingly done so here? :huh:

It's not on the list of HMRC "tested and recognised" software included in the link provided in post#2, so does not assist the OP with their request for free payroll software at all.

:cool:
  • fenwick458
    fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    still havent found a decent, free payroll software

iris payroll basics, can't get it set up, the customer support team coudn't care less they just want to sell you the paid version

the HMRC version is incredibly arkward and hard to use, just like their websites

12pay, I can't get it set up, and theres no support
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fenwick458 wrote: »
    still havent found a decent, free payroll software

iris payroll basics, can't get it set up, the customer support team coudn't care less they just want to sell you the paid version

the HMRC version is incredibly arkward and hard to use, just like their websites

12pay, I can't get it set up, and theres no support

You can't expect support etc if you want it free can you? Why should they work for free when most of their customers are happy to pay?

What you should be looking for is the cheapest paid-for version that suits your needs. I'd suggest moneysoft which is a desktop version and very cheap for it's ease of use and functionality.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback