SeriousHoax Posts: 242 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 16 July 2018 at 3:45PM in Benefits & tax credits
Please remove.

Comments

• campbell19925
    Options
    Why are you confused?

So your niece has just graduated from Uni. Probably wants a little time off while she has no commitments and therefore hasn't went straight into a job + instead of claiming JSA she's not because your sister can support her.

So I guess the answer to your question is - No, not unless she wants to.

Whats the problem?
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In order to Jobseekers your niece would need to be actively seeking work.

It is quite possible that having just completed her course she has decided to take things easy for a week or two, and then look for work at her own speed with no JC+ prescriptive guidelines.

Maybe, without your knowing she actually has job lined up which doesn't start for a week or two

Perhaps she is planning to go back in October and start a Masters or some other study and is merely taking a study break?

There a hundred reasons why someone might choose not to claim benefits - especially for a short period of time....until you know ALL the background you can't work out the reasoning behind their decision.

She's an adult...her Mum presumably concurs with her decision and is willing and able to support her financially - that is all you need to know.
  • SeriousHoax
    SeriousHoax Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ok thanks it probably hasn't got anything to do with me anyway but just thought I'd get people's opinion.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    Why are you confused?
    Whats the problem?

I think it could well be the hot weather.

There seems to have been a spate of bizarre / spoof posts recently on this forum.

I wonder if some posts, judging by their usage of incomprehensible grammar, may be a consequence of school holidays.

Thankfully, this question being unanswerable, should rapidly be relegated from page 1 on the list of current threads.

It's for his niece and sister to decide - there may be many good reasons why the OP's niece would decide not to claim JSA.
    Edit: As Prinzessilein has explained.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Crime or something? Good to see you taking an interest in your niece.
  • Alice_Holt
    edited 15 July 2018 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Crime or something? Good to see you taking an interest in your niece.

My guess would be a law degree. :)

Not so many criminology degrees around now since the privatisation and downgrading of the probation service. :eek:
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    My guess would be a law degree.

Not so many criminology degrees around now since the privatisation and downgrading of the probation service.

Yeah I get that. My point was that you'd think she'd know what her niece was doing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why are you confused?

Whats the problem?

No direction.
    Stats for the government to quote as wrong.
    No national insurance contributions.
    No check able history when Employer needs to verify.
    Skills possibly evaporating.
    No own money, in later years, it will be happily said the girl sponged of her parents that is for sure.
    Plenty wrong.

I am very much beginning to see I had it easy 20 years ago going to work at 16/17 - after sometime trying to help a 19 year old who is lost with the basics of their CV - it is really hard to watch an intelligent young man who got A's in GCSE's and the exams taken at 18 (is that A levels?) be so totally confused and unmotivated as a crowd follower. I couldn't believe the 'CV' someone seems to have started him off with.
  • Alice_Holt
    edited 15 July 2018 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Yeah I get that. My point was that you'd think she'd know what her niece was doing.

Quite.
    (Especially as she has been studying "crime or something" for 3 years)

My post was intended to be tongue in cheek, as a complement to your observation.
    Sorry if the humour wasn't evident, Darksparkle.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Quite.
    (Especially as she has been studying "crime or something" for 3 years)

My post was intended to be tongue in cheek, as an complement to your observation.
    Sorry if the humour wasn't evident, Darksparkle.

Sorry, I'm in a mood! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport