Sign the Petition for Womens state pension age going up unfair

Options

Comments

• patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    The stated aim of that group is to compensate all women whose state pension age became over 60 with every penny they did not receive. When this discussion overrides any other points made in parliament (which it will) the women who really had too short notice to compensate themselves (ie not be compensated by others) due to the 2011 changes will be the ones who are really disadvantaged. It is a badly worded petition designed by people who didn't manage to figure out in 20 years that their SPA had changed. So yet more attempts at legislation to protect those who make absolutely no attempt to keep up!
  • RickyB2000
    RickyB2000 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2015 at 8:22AM
    Options
    This could be argued for almost any change that negatively impacts a group compared to before. Is it fair students today have to pay off student loans when students yesterday didn't? Is it fair someone earning £60k a year and starts a family gets no child benefit when someone who started a family years ago on the same money did. Is it fair that people earning over £150k have to pay more tax than people earning over £150k had to years ago? Is it fair that tomorrow's landlords will pay more tax and more stamp duty than today's?

The argument for making these changes is often that these people earn enough (or will earn enough) so can compensate for them. Is that fair? The country needs the money! I would agree, the only reason to look at this is if not enough time was allowed for people who HAVE to retire at 60 (not sure why people would be in this position) to make alternative plans.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 30 December 2015 at 10:00AM
    Options
    saver861 wrote: »
    If so, some of those with a current eighteen months extension might in fact, have the extension removed totally if they have not had ten years notice.

There's no "if" about the 10 years notice. No-one with an 18 month extension had 10 years notice.

I will not be signing the petition as I do not believe that women of the 1950s who claim to know nothing about the 1995 changes should be compensated for sticking their head in the sand and doing nothing to plan for their retirement. Judging by the conversation I had with one former colleague last week, there are many who did know about the changes but who are now conveniently forgetting.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    patanne wrote: »
    The stated aim of that group is to compensate all women whose state pension age became over 60 with every penny they did not receive. !

That's only 1950's women they are campaigning for.

If you are born after 1/1/60, WASPI aren't interested

I still await anybody who supports WASPI to give a satisfactory explanation as to the fairness of someone being born 31/12/59 should get full compensation, and a person born 1/1/60 should get nothing and wait until age 66 until they collect their state pension.

WASPI campaign against 'unfairness', yet if they got their way, they'd just ensure that a different group of people were treated even more unfairly!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    KimC wrote: »
    It is unfair how a women aged 61 has to wait until 65 yet a women who turned 62 in October 2015 gets her statepension. How is that fair?

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

A woman born 31st October 1953 - ie turns 62 in October 2015 - gets her state pension when she is 64 years, 8 months and 6 days so she won't have got her state pension yet as she's not due to get it until 6th July 2018.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    there was a surge in the petition votes after MSE and Martin gave their support to the cause.

MSE and Martin are going to support it. MSE needs to remain a good guy in the eyes of the consumer. So, rather than explain the situation and say the 1995 changes are fair and equality is fair but the more recent increase was too quick, its easier just to support the petition as it is.

In effect, the WASPI petition is arguing for inequality. So, for all those women that signed the petition, get back in the Kitchen where you belong and lets take away your right to vote (and therefore carry out petitions). ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i wont be signing, and wont be contacting any MPs.

The petition is flawed, as is the argument. As said above, the small number of women (and men) adversely affected should be supported in asking for a revised timescale. Nothing else.
  • KimC
    Options
    Men have always known the can retire at 65 as women have had no notice of the change of retirement age. Thats why it is unfair as people need notice to plan.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    MSE and Martin are going to support it. MSE needs to remain a good guy in the eyes of the consumer. So, rather than explain the situation and say the 1995 changes are fair and equality is fair but the more recent increase was too quick, its easier just to support the petition as it is.

Wrong. As I said on the other thread, Martin and MSE have an image to uphold. That image is the thrust of their business. Martin may be a good guy, but he is also a shrewd guy!! He will not support anything that will tarnish his image, or not that of MSE. Thus, if the campaign was so far out, he would not be supporting it, nor would it have gotten anything like the signatures it has received.

Not agreeing with it is one thing - being blind to it is something different.
    dunstonh wrote: »
    In effect, the WASPI petition is arguing for inequality. So, for all those women that signed the petition, get back in the Kitchen where you belong and lets take away your right to vote (and therefore carry out petitions). ;)

Do you really think that is what MSE and Martin are supporting?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KimC wrote: »
    Men have always known the can retire at 65 as women have had no notice of the change of retirement age. Thats why it is unfair as people need notice to plan.
    That is why mine is now 66 (male) Nobody officially told me about it, I found it out by listening to the news. So can I take the same attitude? I've only got 5 years to plan for a later retirement age.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure