Capital One - 2nd Card

Options
Hi all

When holding one Cap1 card you can open another once your first card has been open 2 or 4 months (it varies depending where on the site you look!).

To those that applied for the second - did the eligibility checker work & give you a chance of approval (e.g. 50/90/100 etc)?

Or did you just go straight to the page and then 'apply now' (skipping the eligibility check)

Getting a straight answer to whether it will ever work from Cap1 for a 2nd card is like getting blood from a stone. At the moment I fail eligibility on affordability, but am wondering whether I'd get a card if I put it straight through on the apply screen.

Anyone got any experience? :)

If the eligibility does work for 2nd apps, then I'll wait until that says I'll get one...... if not then it's like waiting for hell to freeze over!

Comments

• A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I applied for the first Capital One card on the 28th of October. I applied for the second card with Ocean on the 16th of January, the Ocean Quick check stated 100% chance of card. Its 2 cards max. :)
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

I have cap 1 for 2-3yrs (below 35% usage) 200 increased after 18mths to 450 limit.

Accepted Luma card a few weeks ago -1000 initial limit- 55 spent 'emergency car tyre' 3 mths 0%
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks, I'll keep checking that then! Wanting another ASAP, then to try & up the limit on my first, followed by my 2nd, then combine them!

Officially I'm still a few days short of the 2 months mark, that might be why. Affordability is a ridiculous reason, basically code for 'we don't trust you'! :)
  • A4445
    Options
    Just to warn you, if you open a second card, the first card won't be eligible for an increase until the second card is 6 months old. If you try to increase the limit you get a message that says " we can't increase your limit now as you have a second card with us that's less than 6 months old"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ah that's a pain. Only 2 'extra' months though, so if they're going to give it I need it pretty much 2 months and 1 day after I opened my first account!

Otherwise I'll try waiting til the 6th month.... checking to see if I can get another card (through eligibility checker) and if it says yes, quickly logging into servicing and trying to put my first card up before I apply!!!! :P

What I really want is Vanquis - they make it a lot easier to get a high limit!
  • A4445
    Options
    Capital One are not very good with limit increases, I got an extra £250 on one card only £1500 to £1750.

I've been accepted for a new card..£4000 limit @ 18.9% so tempted to get rid of Capital One all together.
  • MysteryCredit
    Options
    Capital one have a great little trick, which is how I have such an absurd limit with them.

But to answer your question first about the eligibility checker it always showed 0% for capital one after holding one.

So the trick is open a second account, ask them to transfer your credit limit to the account you had the longest, and they close the new account after. Repeat every 2 months and have a great limit soon enough.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Capital one have a great little trick, which is how I have such an absurd limit with them.

But to answer your question first about the eligibility checker it always showed 0% for capital one after holding one.

So the trick is open a second account, ask them to transfer your credit limit to the account you had the longest, and they close the new account after. Repeat every 2 months and have a great limit soon enough.

So did you just apply directly then through the product details page then?

Strange as A4445 above got 100% with Ocean (which is run by (and through) the same Cap1 eligibility check system).

If they say not eligible to me after the 9th (When I've held my existing one for 2 months) I might just stick an app through anyway.... so what happens!

And the new card, combine, new card is my plan.... people in the US have done it up to ridiculous limits!!
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A4445 wrote: »
    Just to warn you, if you open a second card, the first card won't be eligible for an increase until the second card is 6 months old. If you try to increase the limit you get a message that says " we can't increase your limit now as you have a second card with us that's less than 6 months old"

I agree though to add I did try a 2nd in 3rys Cap1 rise from 450-declined due to way I was using my card -no late payments no where near the 450 limit at the time.

I was honestly surprised when Luma application offered a new card with 1000 0% 3mths.

Find it funny that Cap 1 wouldn't offer increase find it impossible to answer why I get the Luma card considering both are Cap 1 cards.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • MysteryCredit
    Options
    It's a great way to get credit limit increases every two months ;)

I meant MSE Eligibitly checker always shows I'm 0% chance, however capital one website after the two months gives me the 100% guaranteed so I'm not sure how they can be linked.

However waiting 3 months in my practise has worked better. If I wait the straight two months the new limit is £200 (Happened Twice) however waiting 3 months has given £1500 on each try.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback