SVS Securities - shut down?

Options

Comments

• manted
    manted Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I had 2 accounts but assets held in only the ISA. Would that be reason for them to send only one letter ?
  • johnburman
    johnburman Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Manted. If you have received a letter to a live account that to my mind shows that svs has you recorded as a live client at the correct address. That is good in as far as it goes.

If you have a live account and no letter I would contact Leonard Curtis to ask why not and give them details of your accounts and holdings.

If you have an account with no client assets nor client money A there is nothing to do B you are lucky! C there seems no reason for them to send you a letter. There is nothing to distribute to you.
  • user1168934
    Options
    Like everyone else I have also received the letter. There was some text in the letter which has got me a bit worried although I have to say I don't completely understand what it means. It said something like "For the purpose of FSCS, SVS are in default ....".
    Does that mean SVS are unable to pay what we held in our accounts??? Can someone shed some light please?
    Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
    Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
    Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
    Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
    Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    johnburman wrote: »
    If you have an account with no client assets nor client money
    A there is nothing to do
    B you are lucky!
    C there seems no reason for them to send you a letter. There is nothing to distribute to you.
    I draw reassurance from the "missing" letter. Doesn't it show that, even at this early stage, the administrators have access to the value of assets within each individual account?
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Like everyone else I have also received the letter. There was some text in the letter which has got me a bit worried although I have to say I don't completely understand what it means. It said something like "For the purpose of FSCS, SVS are in default ....".
    Does that mean SVS are unable to pay what we held in our accounts??? Can someone shed some light please?
    The letter says "SVS is in default for FSCS purposes". That means that the default of SVS is acknowledged by FSCS and that, subject to the rules, eligible clients of SVS may receive compensation IF there's a shortfall in what the administrators can recover. It may be months before the administrators tell us if there will be a shortfall, but if there is, FSCS should cover any loss up to a limit of £85,000 per individual.
  • johnburman
    Options
    Interesting thought. It could well be or they have a list of 'accounts with a nil balance ' and they have decided its not worth the stamp to write to that class of client. After all the client can not deposit more funds in the account as its frozen.
  • johnburman
    Options
    New second FAQ issued by Leonard Curtis on the SVS/Leonard Curtis website.

Time period statre to be "many months". No mention of a potential purchaser.
  • Robster88
    Robster88 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    johnburman wrote: »
    New second FAQ issued by Leonard Curtis on the SVS/Leonard Curtis website.

Time period statre to be "many months". No mention of a potential purchaser.

It actually says..

'Due to the number of clients involved, it is envisaged that this process may take a period of months.'

..rather than 'many months', although I suspect that probably amounts to the same thing.
  • johnburman
    Options
    Quite right to correct me. And I am sure you are right

But there are only 13500 of us. And the vast majority are execution only share dealing. Surely can't be that difficult....
  • manted
    manted Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I concur, unless they are sure of wrong doing on behalf of SVS, I don't think the administrators should require a lot of time to confirm assets are as they should be.

I also hope they don't have the discretion to use the Execution only clients' assets for distribution to the DFM clients who were mis-sold other Investments.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback