Who's responsible?! Gas Meter Box

Options
Jakekg
Jakekg Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi all,

This is my first post so please forgive any lack of etiquette...

My gas meter box lock 'triangle' snapped off when I tried to read the meter a few weeks ago, but it's still in the locked position and I can't unlock it.

I've contacted British Gas, who supply me and they said Transco were responsible and if I forced it open I would be "tampering". So I then contacted Transco who said British Gas would be able to help... 17 phone calls later and I'm still no closer to figuring out what I'm supposed to do and its started to effect my billing because the estimates are way more than I'd actually use.

I don't really want to break into my box and risk "tampering" but I need to read my meters properly and I'm getting nowhere with Transco or British Gas.

Also I have arthritis so I genuinely might not be able to force it open even if it is allowed. Please help :A

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hmm, sounds like you have been talking to an idiot.

Still they get no training on things like this. might be nice if thjey admited not knowing but then the call may last longer and they will be marked down. Easier to make something up.

Anyway. The box is the home owners resonsibility. Gas boxes are usually easy and so can be replaced without removing the meter. Unlike electric ones where you need a couple of vists you have to pay for to do it!

Plus you did break it! Very simple job, does not need any gas knowledge as they should not have to touch the meter. Could do it yourself even.
  • FestiveJoy
    Options
    Replacement latch available for £3.65 delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00KBWJJ9A

(Free delivery for Prime customers, or choose the option that is not fullfilled by amazon - it's one of the same sellers :))

Nothing a local handyman couldn't replace, if it's too much of a challenge for you.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign:
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a DIY job - you can buy the doors separately or as shown above the lock can be replaced if the door is OK

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Product/Electrical+Lighting/Meter-Boxes/c/1500063
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Jakekg
    Jakekg Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm going to ask my work friend if he can have a look at getting the old one off at the weekend, then hopefully I should be able to fit the new one myself.

Its such a simple problem, but getting answers out of the gas people is like getting blood from a stone
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Jakekg wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'm going to ask my work friend if he can have a look at getting the old one off at the weekend, then hopefully I should be able to fit the new one myself.

Its such a simple problem, but getting answers out of the gas people is like getting blood from a stone

That’s cos it’s not the gas people’s problem!

Will you be asking them to clean your windows next? :rotfl:
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,631 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That’s cos it’s not the gas people’s problem!

Will you be asking them to clean your windows next? :rotfl:
    In a sarcastic mood today?

The OP had a simple problem and contacted his supplier about it, as it was related to his gas supply. He ended up coming on here and, yourself excluded, got some useful answers.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• We meter readers carry a few spare latches. I can replace one in less than a minute. The newer made in China boxes are as usual sub standard in quality as everything made in bulk from China is. Some of the ones on new build estates are broken before anyone moves in.
    Personally I use a pair of sharp pointed snipe nosed pliers which when opened a little can grip the broken stub and turn it a little.
    The OP can complain to the supplier who may send someone to replace it. If not buy one from fleabay.. They should be only 50 p because that is more than they are worth but they probably will be much more. Certainly don t think about replacing the whole door for a simple broken latch
  • Tumtitums
    Tumtitums Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    is this true ? the person who read the meter somehow damaged the latch so the latch has come off and now the meter box outside the house is open . Why should i pay to fix it when it was the member of staff from British gas who damaged it ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tumtitums wrote: »
    is this true ? the person who read the meter somehow damaged the latch so the latch has come off and now the meter box outside the house is open . Why should i pay to fix it when it was the member of staff from British gas who damaged it ?
    Yes, meter readers are the ones who can break the latch, only because they happen to be the ones undoing it when it breaks. Really stiff latches will start to fatigue and crumble off at the slightest touch. When one breaks I replace it in seconds. We carry the spare latches all ready..After all we only turn the things as we re supposed to do, if they crumble off and break its hardly our fault.
    BG and the others from the big six will probably replace it as a customer service but the likes of the dreadful Eversmart and others of their ilk, forget it.You would never be able to contact them. Ebay £1.50 ish gets you a new one
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tumtitums wrote: »

Yes, the useful answers provided by several MSEers 6 months ago in this thread are correct.

The consumer is responsible for taking proper reasonable care of the meter, and so where sited externally, must be in a suitable housing to protect it from the elements. Obviously, a door that is missing, or is able to fly open in the wind, does not meet the protection necessary.
    In fact, the door must only be able to be opened by use of a key or other appropriate tool.

If the door was maliciously damaged, as with anything else on the property, then you can pursue the person who maliciously caused that damage. (or perhaps claim off your property insurance)

But if the damage is caused through normal wear and tear, use, etc, then it falls upon the householder (or landlord as the case may be) to maintain it.

I cannot see anywhere as low as £1.50 delivered, but have found a lower price than the £3.65 delivered quoted 6 months ago.
    Either way, is it really worth getting too worked up over?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure