PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »

PS: Re points excluding yarn, I’d forgotten the navy cardigan I purchased earlier in the year. That brings my total non-yarn coupon spend to 43, which would have left me with just enough coupons to buy another suit for work. I have a 20% off voucher from Hobbs that I’m considering spending - the Next suit I scored in a charity shop in 2012 is looking shabby. It’s been worn weekly for years. To my eyes, the wear on the lapels is visible.

Good luck with the Cold Sheep - and you could always go to yarn shows with a trusted friend and hand over your cards on entry to the friend... and for Deramores, could you ask round friends and buy something on your account for them on their clothing coupons, thus NOT adding to your stash NOR spending your own coupons, but still keeping your points live?

And the suit - you know it's relatively straightforward to re-cover lapels? If you have the kind of little sewing shop that does alterations, they could do it, or if you can sew middlingly-well, you could do it yourself (fairly straightforward: unpick lining and then unpick the lapel (the bit that shows is a facing, not the actual jacket-part); cut a new piece in suitable contrast fabric, and re-stitch). If it is only the lapels, and the rest could go another year or more, then I would suggest looking for something like a dull heavy silk, which would look good with most suit fabrics imo, either in a muted neutral colour, or a tone to go with the suit without trying to look like it's a failed match, or in a rich jewel colour as a total contrast. If you have an alterations shop do it, ask about adding matching trim to the trouser/skirt pocket-edges, something like that, so the suit remains suit-looking.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 September 2019 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Finally! We're actually turning out that big bedroom cupboard! I've intended to do it for four years...

My shame at having so many clothes I bought knowing they weren't what I wanted but intending to alter them to magically make them be perfect is lessened somewhat by the number of t-shirts my chap has, still with their labels on, never ever worn...!

We have a pile of worn-out things for textile-recycling, and a pile of still-good things we never wear for the charity shop... and still plenty to go through!

All my skirts hung up properly and with enough room that I can easily take them out and put them back, and all my shirts and blouses on hangers too!

paste-1568556089947.jpg
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Well done you!

Its something that I will need to do again. I weeded things out when I retired, but there are still plenty of things that I just haven't worn at all this year. Blouses, smart casual which I used for work and summer stuff mainly which I never ever seem to wear out. Trouble is I don't want to get rid of a couple of things as they are such long-standing friends!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    I forgot - I came here to declare another 5 coupon spend on a pair of flip-flops for my friend's retirement spa day. I HATE those terry towelling things they give you as I always seem to trip over them, but my other flip-flops have all been worn outside, so it wouldn't be very hygenic. The fact that they were £6.50 reduced down from £22.99 was an added bonus.

So, a total of 40 coupons spent this year.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Well done you!

Its something that I will need to do again. I weeded things out when I retired, but there are still plenty of things that I just haven't worn at all this year. Blouses, smart casual which I used for work and summer stuff mainly which I never ever seem to wear out. Trouble is I don't want to get rid of a couple of things as they are such long-standing friends!

I kept quite a few things in a stack on an upper shelf in a sort of "sentimental" collection - things too small or worn-out to wear, but as you say 'long-standing friends'! Maybe if I gather them together like this, I can work out which ones mean most to me and make a patchwork something from them!

Still tons to do - massive shelves, and lots of loose bits and pieces... but we've started...

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CapricornLass, the flip-flops may have cost coupons, but £6.50 is a really good price. Congratulations on your bargain.

Laura, that was hard work. Well done!

Good luck with the Cold Sheep - and you could always go to yarn shows with a trusted friend and hand over your cards on entry to the friend... and for Deramores, could you ask round friends and buy something on your account for them on their clothing coupons, thus NOT adding to your stash NOR spending your own coupons, but still keeping your points live?

And the suit - you know it's relatively straightforward to re-cover lapels? If you have the kind of little sewing shop that does alterations, they could do it, or if you can sew middlingly-well, you could do it yourself (fairly straightforward: unpick lining and then unpick the lapel (the bit that shows is a facing, not the actual jacket-part); cut a new piece in suitable contrast fabric, and re-stitch). If it is only the lapels, and the rest could go another year or more, then I would suggest looking for something like a dull heavy silk, which would look good with most suit fabrics imo, either in a muted neutral colour, or a tone to go with the suit without trying to look like it's a failed match, or in a rich jewel colour as a total contrast. If you have an alterations shop do it, ask about adding matching trim to the trouser/skirt pocket-edges, something like that, so the suit remains suit-looking.

Good suggestions, Laura.

The suit isn’t worth the effort. The primary fabric is viscose and it’s showing wear all over. If it were a good wool tweed on the other hand, I’d get the sewing machine out ASAP.

You can rest easy, too, about Hobbs. I had a look at their website and the only thing that caught my eye was a tweed jacket which didn’t have any matching separates so was immediately ruled out. If I’m going to spend the money, I want wool or a wool blend, a blazer + skirt + trousers (your classic, capsule wardrobe). This is for work and it’s got to last.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I can't wait til my chap takes the bags to the tip - I keep having to stop myself going and getting derelict cheap jeans out on the grounds that I can patch them up... they're not great-fitting, classic old Levi 501s or anything, they're cheap tatty supermarket jeans that looked cheap and tatty from Day One... and the quantity of them tells me I will NOT be buying any more cheap jeans. If I really need jeans, I can save up and buy one pair of £50+ Levi 501s that will look even better when old and faded and patched. Not keep on buying these £10 jeans that look awful and last only a few months...

I didn't realise how many pairs I'd shoved into the top of the cupboard, "til I can patch them up a bit..."

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh, well done on the wardrobe turn-out Laura, it feels great, doesn't it. We've all done that, bought cheap and regretted it; or hung on to things because we wanted to make them work.

And well done on the 'Cold Sheep' Pip. Unsubscribe from all those websites, they'll welcome you back when you're ready.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't wait til my chap takes the bags to the tip - I keep having to stop myself going and getting derelict cheap jeans out on the grounds that I can patch them up... they're not great-fitting, classic old Levi 501s or anything, they're cheap tatty supermarket jeans that looked cheap and tatty from Day One... and the quantity of them tells me I will NOT be buying any more cheap jeans. If I really need jeans, I can save up and buy one pair of £50+ Levi 501s that will look even better when old and faded and patched. Not keep on buying these £10 jeans that look awful and last only a few months...

I didn't realise how many pairs I'd shoved into the top of the cupboard, "til I can patch them up a bit..."
    Just a quick thought on taking clothing to the tip, my local charity shop is part of a weigh in scheme & they can (after picking through the bag themselves) send bags of fabric (clothing, bedding etc.) to a given scheme & raise a bit more money by giving the bags per weight. This also ensures better recycling. (May I suggest this is a thoughtful way of disposing of stuff you judge to be less than ideal for a charity shop - unless your tip is separating the clothing to do the same). A school I worked at raised funds in the same way, with the weigh in van arrivinng periodically and giving cash for weighed bags
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm considering turning some old jeans into a rag rug. (My Grandma would be so proud). Does anyone know where I can get the hessian/sacking from? I don't mean the wider weave cotton backing for a cut-wool rug, (which I'd also like as I've finished my cut wool rug & have a wool cutter to turn my wool into another), but the stuf you use for a "proddy rug", or, as I say, a rag rug. If anyone has any comment on the advisability of using denim strips I'd welcome some advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure