Mid-sold a holiday can I cancel?

Options
Sorry it’s lengthy, I’ve reposted here because I think I put this in the wrong category previously.

I saw a deal on Icelolly app for our budget honeymoon. Rang them and got through to global hoppers. He told me what I wanted wasn’t possible on my budget, even though I’d found the perfect quote.
He managed to persuade me to accept another offer. I asked if that price included everything is discussed that I wanted and he said it did, it was the total price.

After I’d reeled off my debit card details he then processed this and took £200 deposit. He then proceeded to tell me that there are additional fees of £15 pp each way, adding to £120 for 4 of us. I was seriously angry with this as I’d agreed to the price and paid a £200 deposit already.
To make things worse he did a “recap” but told me I only had hand luggage when he knew I wanted baggage, and that it would be another £60.
I can’t afford the £180 on top of the agreed price.
He informed me after that I don’t get a 14 day cooling off period because this holiday is someone’s late “cancellation” (even though it’s not until March)
He also lied to me about the average expected weather of the resort for March, and I’d told him I wanted somewhere warm. I realise now I never got told any terms or conditions prior to making payment.

I enquired after about canceling but I can’t do this without losing my £200 deposit and also paying £79 per person cancellation fees. So I’m at a loss of £516 for being mid-sold a holiday.

The companies reputation stinks, their reviews are horrendous after I researched them and I really do not want this holiday.
Does anyone know if I’ve got a leg to stand on legally? I think what they’ve done is so wrong but equally I feel so stupid. :(

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Global Hoppers was a new name to me but upon checking they seem to be a trading division of Broadway Travel.

I think you have just fallen into the trap of searching for a deal based on a cheap deal, hooked in on probably an unrealistic headline price and then upsold a holiday.

They should IMO of course have been clear with you to what was included and also summarised the costs before payment was made. I think you have just been caught with upselling and deceitful business practices.

If you decide to escalate and complain, perhaps ask if the call was recorded and if someone can listen to the sales conversation.

Travel and holidays booked online or over the phone are not covered under what was called the Distant Selling Regulations. This was replaced in 2014 by the Consumer Contracts Regulations. Either way you are not covered under this regulation so not a path to pursue. The deal being available from a late cancellation (and why you can not cancel) would have been another white lie.

The typical weather at the time of year you are going on holiday was something you really should have checked out and researched yourself in advance.

If Broadway Travel/Globe Hoppers don’t play ball you could discuss with ABTA.

I suspect you will be left with all or part of this holiday as the flights would have been purchased separately from the accommodation and those flights probably non-refundable.

Hope you find satisfaction. I would however suggest avoiding the temptation of hunting travel deals based on ‘cheapness’ and throughly researching who you are dealing with before handing over payment information.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    YasmineA90 wrote: »
    I can’t afford the £180 on top of the agreed price.

Then you should not be going on holiday at all.

Sorry it happened to you but this is how they sell these days, offer a skeleton and need more for a reasonable minimum.

Everyone knows this. Yes is sounds dodgy and mis-sold. However no call will be recorded and it will be your word against thiers. Which would probably go their way in court becuase they would suggest you got excited about the holiday and did not check the facts.

In future do not talk to people on t he phone. It is such a bad way of doing anything. Online with no people is the best. In person if you have to. Never on the phone. And never paying anything without written confirmation of what it is for.

Give it anothe go but maybe then save yourself the money and just cancel if you cannot get anything. Canceling is cheaper. And then go away when you can afford it. Or have a fun "holiday" in a t ent in yout garden if you have one. Places matter little, it's the company that matters.
  • MissTigger
    Options
    Ive messaged ABTA and reported a complaint as well as emailing the company. They’ve taken £200 already and I’m not happy with them taking any more and I’ve just about accepted that il have to cut my losses as I’m not going on this holiday. I’d rather cancel than risk taking my children away on a holiday provided by such a sketchy company.
    I’ve definitely learned my lesson not to book via this method ever again, however I have purchased Icelolly holidays in the past and they’ve been wonderful. Never again though it’s not worth the stress.

I’m absolutely astonished though that the cancellation fees in total add up to more than half of the cost of the entire holiday, even though it’s been booked not even 24 hours ago and the holiday isn’t supposed to be until March..
  • MissTigger
    Options
    I also researched the resorts I wanted to travel to, but he told me I couldn’t book those destinations and was pushing that I booked a completely different holiday where I hadn’t researched the weather prior, so I asked him he said it would be around the 18-20 degrees mark for that time of year, which is rubbish as the average temperatures that time are much lower as I’ve researched. I really feel misled.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2019 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Sorry you've had such an experience but I think you've been very naive. Just like many other shopping experiences(like when you see the tiny from on signs) , holiday companies advertise the absolute cheapest deal available which is generally when the weather is at its worst and with minimum baggage at the most inconvenient airports at the worst times.

Personally I've travelled with Broadway (parent company?) several times and been very satisfied.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got mugged off via ice lolly in 2011. Valuable lesson learnt, and it hasn't occurred since. Hope you get it sorted OP!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    YasmineA90 wrote: »
    Sorry it’s lengthy, I’ve reposted here because I think I put this in the wrong category previously.
    More replies on this thread (Consumer Rights):
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6047764
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    If you decide to escalate and complain, perhaps ask if the call was recorded and if someone can listen to the sales conversation.

You are entitled to any recording under the Data Protection Act it is free.

If they recorded the call they will have said so at the beginning usual message we may record this call for training etc.
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    I got mugged off via ice lolly in 2011. Valuable lesson learnt, and it hasn't occurred since. Hope you get it sorted OP!

Ice Lolly are a price comparison site. They don't sell anything so can't mug you. If the shonky OTA you chose to book through mugged you off then they would do it no matter who you booked via.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ice Lolly are a price comparison site. They don't sell anything so can't mug you. If the shonky OTA you chose to book through mugged you off then they would do it no matter who you booked via.

This is exactly what happened, like I said valuable lesson learnt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure