NRAM & Northern Rock giving extra money for late complaints

Options
I found out that I had PPI with nram and as with most of us I made a complaint to reclaim it. In their response, they offered me a handsome amount of money and said this would be paid within 28 days.

I called to complain again as they took longer than 28 days although it turned out that it was 28 days from the day of returning the letter and I was too early. I still got my PPI money eventually, I also received a further letter offering me £50 for my recent complaint because it was paid after 29 days.

I called and the lady on the phone said a bit too much when she announced that they were receiving hundreds of thousands of complaints at the last minute and that they have been told it could take up to 2020 to actually reply to those complaints. I also asked how long they should take and she said 56 days. At the end I asked why I was offered £50 and she said it was far less than the hundreds the onbudsmen would charge them if I raised the complaint with them for it being paid late!

It seems to me that nram is in a very bad place and won't be dealing with your complaints within the timescale agreed, and likely won't pay your dues within 28 days as agreed. it could take months.

I encourage you all therefore to make more complaints about how long it is taking them for your complaint - you may get yourself an extra £50. Also consider complaining about how long it took to pay out what you already received. If it was one day over you might get a cheeky little bonus from them.

Comments

• Kentish_Dave
    Options
    Posts like this make me so glad that my parents brought me up as well as they did.

Thanks for the post OP, you’ve made me feel far less guilty about how I’m doing than I was before I read it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I encourage you all therefore to make more complaints about how long it is taking them for your complaint - you may get yourself an extra £50.

That will certainly help them get through the existing complaints more quickly.

Genius.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    I am sure that anyone working incredibly hard at NRAM to try and clear any backlog, will be absolutely delighted to read a post like this. You will undoubtedly have made their day and shown your thanks for the extra money that you received
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A brand new poster with a deliberately provocative first post? That never happened here before :)
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly it is the ugly side of compensation chasing. It is effectively blackmail. i.e. Give me £50 and I won't refer the case to the FOS where you get charged a lot more.
  • Mary_Jane_50
    Options
    I disagree with you all on this as my complaint was valid. nram agreed to pay by a date and then did not do so whilst keeping any interest from delays.

if they have had this long to know about the deadline there should have been more staff.

My sister has a complaint still ongoing and called up the other day to see how long it would be as it has been weeks she was told the case has not been started yet and it would be months before they even get the chance to look at it. as it's been 9 weeks, she has complained about the delay and already contacted the onbudmen.

we were sold ppi without our agreement, they have had plenty of time to get this sorted, they should be doing it in the timescales set out by the onbudmen
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I disagree with you all on this

That was already apparent from the fact that no one agreed with you.
  • societys_child
    Options
    I disagree with you all on this as my complaint was valid. nram agreed to pay by a date and then did not do so whilst keeping any interest from delays.
    WRONG! You'll receive 8% interest up to the time they pay out. Where else can you get that?

if they have had this long to know about the deadline there should have been more staff.

My sister has a complaint still ongoing and called up the other day to see how long it would be as it has been weeks she was told the case has not been started yet and it would be months before they even get the chance to look at it. as it's been 9 weeks, she has complained about the delay and already contacted the onbudmen.

we were sold ppi without our agreement, they have had plenty of time to get this sorted, they should be doing it in the timescales set out by the onbudmen
    What are onbudmen :huh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To be fair, I quite happily took the £200 gesture of goodwill payment HSBC paid to me due to their inability to pay me my redress within the stated timescale. However, I just wanted my refund and was not expecting any additional payment when I complained.

I was also the victim of a catalogue of failings with regard this, leading to me having to sit in a city centre branch for literally hours while it was finally sorted out. This was in 2012, it should be noted.

There is now a massive backlog of complaints which will take considerable time to sort out. Anyone therefore recommending making additional complaints about the time this is taking will only serve to increase waiting times still further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure