Gutters/Damp Quote - Is this a fair quote?

Options
A friend has recently been hit with an outrageous quote to fix the gutters round the back of her house and has turned to me to sense check this. Was just wondering what the norm for a job like this would be?

Basically there is damp and mould in the upstairs back bedroom which appears to be the cause of guttering.

Gutters are sagging in the middle, and in other places so close to the building that the roofline is over the gutters and not catching the water. Some contractors came out to quote on the job of rebuilding the gutters to the rear, and side, stating they would need some scaffolding. Access to the rear is via a narrow passageway.

Quote is £4,110 + VAT :huh:

Is this normal for what seems like a simple job? Can't someone with a sturdy ladder replace guttering for a lot less?

Thanks

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2019 at 11:54AM
    Options
    No one should really be working off ladders, especially not in a professional capacity.

How tall is the house?

It does sound silly for guttering, but you're talking about 'rebuilding' which sounds more complex than a regular plastic job around a house. Are they integral to the roof? If it involves lots of new lead work and is up two storeys, or is cast iron then it could conceivably cost that. I've spent more!

We can't even guess without knowing what the job actually is.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That seems incredibly excessive - we had the soffits, fascias new gutters and downpipes completed including removal of all waste for a whole house for 3k two years ago. They worked off two scaffold towers.

You shouldn't ask people to work at height using ladders, falls from ladders can be life-threatening or life-changing. Anyways, shop about for quotes, the price you mention seems very expensive.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    No one should really be working off ladders, especially not in a professional capacity.

Agreed. The scaffolding for an average semi could quite easily be £800 to £1200. f the ground is solid and level (i.e. a patio), a scaffold tower would be quicker, easier, and cheaper.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • TomPucci85
    Options
    Scaffolding was integrated into the quote for £1,000.

Agreed that it's the safer approach to ensure anyone is working from scaffolding though. Am going to tell her to have to get a few more quotes, I would expect there's at least a grand that can be knocked off here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure