Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Options

Comments

• dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did quite a bit of work on the family tree,should manage to copy the records of all my paternal line from my subscribed website before it expires if I do a few more sessions like today. Have all records from 1550 to 1802.:)
    Also managed a 4029 step walk.What a contrast to yesterday. This evening must have been about 12C instead of 22C,with a thick fog.It came in quickly from the sea when I had gone out into the countryside.I climbed a hill with minimal visibility.At the top is an electricity pylon which was invisible till it suddenly loomed up in front of me.It resembled some eerie transmitter of signals from aliens.:D I kept expecting some mysterious hooded and cloaked figure out of horror film to appear. Definitely creepy!:eek:

I foolishly wore ordinary shoes,instead of trainers and discovered that the farmer has dumped a whole load of gravel on the path,rather painful.:mad:Add the fact that I am way unfit,wobbling a bit on the way back,and all in all it wasnt the most enjoyable of walks,but certainly interesting.
    Off now to put Mr Dusty's pasty in the oven,I am running so late but he is watching football - surprise surprise - so he probably wont notice:D

A day full of incident so here's hoping I sleep for once,but dont hold your breath!
  • dustydigger
    Options
    My nose is itching and twitching from the high pollen count,driving me mad:mad:

Its 11 am and I havent done a stroke of housework,because I spent the whole time updating MSE,LibraryThing,checking emails and doing several surveys.:D Joined Panel Base last night,and was quite surprised o get £3 just for joining.:T The survey they gave me was slightly different in style and content from the others.
    MySurvey gave me a couple for the first time in ages,and last night I was late going to bed because Opinium,Power of Opinions,MySurvey,YouGov and even Prolific all sent me an invite within half an hour of each other,most unusual:)I went slightly overboard with joining survey companies,didnt I:)
    Nothing from OnePoll,of course,added nothing since I got 35p on 12th June for doing 3 surveys!:rotfl:

OK,tasks today;
    +clean microwave,benches,tile splashback,sink etc.Hairdresser is coming today,usually 1.30pm,but she cant come today till 5.15pm.I leave family history group at 5,its only a couple of minutes away,but I will have to make sure I have tidied up well before I go to the group'Last time 6 weeks ago we could barely find a spot for her to work because I had moved all the furniture out from the walls,and packed stuff in boxes ready to paint next day.Big improvement now:D
    +make dinner - salmon

+hoover,tidy away Mr Dusty's litter in sittingroom
    + prepare for family history group,assemble papers and ironing my clothes.remember to take cash for credit union,£40! Still cant find my paying in book,but surely they can just give me a receipt.
    + continue reading.Finished a book last night so I made it into double figures. 240/360ppread of the next book.
    +go for walk,but probably only 3000 steps
  • dustydigger
    edited 28 June 2018 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Never got out for a walk yesterday after all,because hairdresser was late as usual, it was after six before she left,and I had plantain to sort and put on by 6.30. Then Mr D wanted help with searching something online and before I knew it the evening was gone.:(
    Also didnt pay in my £40 to the credit union,because the community centre staff were on an extended meeting,I never saw the union rep at all.Not my day......
    On the bright side,I did get a few surveys last night.I am only 50 points short of a £5 amaz*n voucher now on MySurvey,but only after numerous screenouts.They let you do 10 minutes answering questions and then say you re not suitable:mad:Prolific is coming along nicely,including ''pending'' I have almost £15,its £20 cashout. That and the voucher will give me £25 to buy books,should cover me for a while as I now have most of the books I need for this year's challenges.
    I started intermittent fasting this week,but most days I forget and start nibbling when making Mr Dusty's meals,and in the evening forget to make my supper in time so I doubt if it is really working:rotfl: They say that any carbs going into the body during the would be fasting period disrupt the process as the body will always use up carbs first,path of least work for the body.I'm not sure about it all.
    I am doing the 16/8 regime.i.e. only eat during an 8 hour period,from noon till 8pm,eat nothing the rest of the time. The theory is that the body uses up all its glycogen store between 10-12 hours after eating,then it needs to use its fat stores for energy to run the body.So by time you get up,if you didnt eat after 8pm.from 8am you are using up calories fat stores.OK,not much,I probably will only use up to 300 calories during the morning,but thats 2lbs+ a month,which I would be extremely happy with after the disaster of the thyroid underactivity I suffered early this year closing down my weight loss completely. It really depressed me,I am only slowly coming to terms.
    Oh well I have had a 3 month break,put on 10lbs 5 in the time the visitors were here:eek::eek: but I am ready to start again. Hopefully by next week,start of the new month my stupid brain will have worked out what I should be doing ,and I will try to eat by 7pm,not after 10pm like last night!:rotfl:
    In theory you dont need to restrict calories much because the body will be exclusively using stored fat cells,many of which are round the waist area so great health benefits too. All sounds a bit too good to be true,doesnt it,but we'll see. Snails pace loss will barely show up on scales so I need to look at it long term,what I lose in a month.Wish me luck! For the moment I just cant decide on a diet plan they are all muddled in my head,at least this doesnt need much thought or effort.
  • dustydigger
    edited 30 June 2018 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Its been 2 days since I was on here,not been too well and a bit depressed - whats new:)
    Anyhoo thats half the year gone,whizzed by at supersonic speed. Mixed bag of results for my plans etc,but I sat down and totted up the finances on 31st Dec and now and couldnt believe my eyes. Of course the savings had naturally taken a dive because of Xmas,but still I am amazed at how well I am doing.Here's the state of play in the various accounts
    NS&I ( Xmas and Emergency fund) - Dec £110 now £820
    credit union - then £174 now £344
    P.O. savings (mixed bag savings) - then £0 now £140
    E-Saver (USA trip)- then £0 now £30
    Sealed Pot - then £0 now £80
    ISA - £140 now closed £0
    total savings Dec £424 now £1334.
    I have saved an amazing £910 in 6 months
    :j:j:j:j:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Shows what frugal living,healthy eating and no alcohol can do for the finances:rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    That is an awesome amount for you to save in just six months :j :j :j :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well done Dusty - hope that put a smile on your face and a bounce in your step
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • dustydigger
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    well done Dusty - hope that put a smile on your face and a bounce in your step

Thanks Mark,but unfortunately,no bouncing I have yet more ear and water infections and feel rubbish!:rotfl: In other words,situation normal.
    I didnt know I could save so much.Mind you,I was probably spending a lot in the past on the Horde. Its only this year that my kids have managed to stabilize their own lives satisfactorily:D:eek: Then the frugal living kicked in too and voila,Dusty has SAVINGS!!!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • dustydigger
    Options
    There's an interesting programme on BBC1,Right on the Money,full of frugal tips.There is a woman who has spent a fortune on craft stuff,(£600 a month!),plus £1200 a year on Candy Crush etc,buying ''moves'' to advance.She was absolutley shocked when they told her just how much she was spending on those games. I know my daughters tend to spend money on these games. 50p or a couple of pounds doesnt seem much but it adds up to hundreds over a year!
    MSE people will recognize many of the tips on reducing expenditure. Its available on the iPlayer if anyone is interested
  • dustydigger
    edited 2 July 2018 at 6:24PM
    Options
    A new month,try to get back on track with normal routine. Things I want to focus on this month;
    +diet and exercise.Starting intermittent fasting today,plus increasing fruit and veg,and salads,cutting down on carbs. Bread has slipped back in to my diet,and biscuits and scones,stress eating at its worst.:(I need to get out walking more regularly,plus other exercise for mobility,strength,and endurance.I also want o get out a bit more,use my bus pass to go out,I am so locked in most of the time.
    +do some decluttering.so much stuff and odds and ends in drawers and cupboards. And books.I want to reduce my books,and only use 3 bookcases. I have 4 big boxes of books which take up valuable space.I find it hard to be ruthless about getting rid of my books. I have books which I know I am unlikely to find the time to reread them yet am reluctant to get rid of.I may look at the Open Library,and if a book is on there,free to read,I will get rid of the book.I am checking out Ziffit and the like
    +check for surveys several times a day. I miss about 4 surveys a day because when I look I find I was offered several 5 hours before,and they are now closed!:mad:
    +continue sorting the family history. Found out it is the 16th,not the 6th, of July my subscription runs out,so I have more time to collect info before it disappears:)
    +stop delaying on things like getting an eye check,sorting the thyroid,and getting photos for the passport application.
    + buckle down to my reading targets,and keep up with my commitments online in my reading groups,which will be tricky as I definitely need to cut down my overall time online. MSE has added a good 1-2 hours a day to my routine,which means less time for other things.:D
    +express''gratitudes''
    +stop writing such long posts on here!:rotfl::rotfl: if possible do a few shorter ones instead. Easier for any readers to get through :)

now off to the kitchen to make Mr Ds dinner. Easy-peasy,beef sausage,fried with onions mushrooms,and tomatoes,then covered in beaten egg to make a sort of frittata. served with broccoli in peanut sauce(as ever. Mr D never gets through a single day without either nuts or peanut butter SOMEWHERE on the menu)
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Phew,my nerves are shot. The last 4 days of last 16 football had even me,none football fan,on edge. Those penalty shootouts are really stressful.And England live to fight another day:)
    Wall to wall football has meant wall to wall Mr Dusty under my feet. He is having a lot of trouble with pixellation,his TV picture is breaking up a lot. I explained that it was probably just the heat,that it happens every summer but not according to him,so he went ranting to Argoose,blaming the TV me and the kids bought him for Xmas. Knew it would be my fault,everything always is:D They are sending an engineer out today. I am going to hide,I want nothing to do with it.:)
    So he has been underfoot all the time,cant achieve anything.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport