Car Finance - Arnold Clark

Options
I need some advice and help.
I recently purchased a car from Arnold Clark on PCP at the end of March 2018. The car has started to cut out on me during journeys, traffic lights, junctions and even filling it with fuel. I have been in touch with Arnold Clark and have been told they would like to “rectify” the problem which is fair enough to but the point I tried to make to them is that I needed a new car to get myself to and from work everyday without needing constant work like my previous car. Now I am not one but happy that this has happened so early on into me getting this car constidering it has had an MOT and a service just before collection.

They have told me my only options is I can hand the car back and get a new one or I can sell the car back to them and pay off the negative equity which by the way is £12300, minus £6500 they were going to buy the back off me for leaving me with £6300 to pay off the remaining amount and I’m only 20 years old.

I have only paid two instalments toward this car and I am 10 days over the 30 day mark you have to decide weather the car is fit for you and I find this very unfair. I have been in store and made a complaint to the manager and broke down in tears and he basically just smiles like there’s nothing they can do.

I want rid of this car and I would like to only deal with cash for cars from now on. Someone please help me get out of this situation as I’m very worried.

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    The car has started to cut out on me during journeys, traffic lights, junctions and even filling it with fuel.

Why are you filling it with fuel with the engine on :eek:
  • RachaelButters
    Options
    Obviously not with the engine on but once I!!!8217;ve filled the tank it just cuts out on me
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £6300 negative equity in 6 weeks. That's unbelievable.

I would give them a chance to fix it, but demand a courtesy car.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • RachaelButters
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve booked it in for them to look at but really just want to hand the car back because I don!!!8217;t want to risk the fact that this could be the start of occurring issues. It!!!8217;s an absolute nightmare
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    It's an absolute nightmare

It isn't really, that's making a mountain out of a molehill. AS have offered to fix the issue, you have no idea whether there will be further issues and you have the possibility of a car having faults wherever you buy it from so what's to say your next one won't be the same.

Let them fix it and if it doesn't work there are options for you but to not even let them have a go makes no sense at all.
  • RachaelButters
    Options
    I am willing for them to look at the car and determine the problem but the point I was making is that it shouldn!!!8217;t be. I would rather just reject it and walk away because I can!!!8217;t risk the finances.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This sounds more like buyers remorse to be fair

you have to give them a chance to fix it, you are getting worked up over somthing that may be a small issue such as a sensor
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • RachaelButters
    Options
    Yeah I!!!8217;m giving them the chance to fix the car. Just had such bad luck with previous cars and wouldn!!!8217;t want to go down the same route with this one.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Cars need maintenance and repairs, there's no getting away from that.
    See what they find wrong with the car before deciding it's a lemon. Could be something as simple as a fuel filter or sensor just needs changing.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your car is at MOT age then how old is it?

If you wanted a car that nothing would go wrong with then your best bet would have been a new car. Even then, still no guarantee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure