JSA/Universal Credit help

Options
Hi all. The other day I was made redundant from my job of 20 years. The company folded so I have already applied for the redundancy fund from the Insolvency Service. That, however may take several weeks and I have no income for bills etc.

Me and my wife (who is too ill, with long term illnesses, to work) went to Citizen's Advice, who were wonderful, and they said to us that we need to apply for the new style Contribution based Job Seekers Allowance and NOT Universal Credit. We should stay away from that.

However this is so difficult to organise, I rang up a phone number about it. The phone number told us we need to apply online. But online told us to phone up the service! Argggh! Round and round and we are more confused, depressed, snappy than when we started!

We rent from the council, and rang them to inform them to get help I need to first have unemployment benefit!

Tomorrow we are going to the job centre to try and get some help. But I really don't expect much help, just more fobbing off.

Obviously the best ideal would be a new job. But until then do we ignore advice and go with Universal Credit? (We have no savings, so that won't affect it) Or do we try and find how to get contribution based JSA. If so, how?!

Thank you all
Emjay

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but you need to post this on the benefits board. The people who can best advise you may not see it here.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In some areas they have all ready changed to universal credit depends where you live but hopefully they will have told you at the jobcentre
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked your postcode and the contact numbers on here?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • zozan
    Options
    Universal Credit is a social security benefit in the United Kingdom introduced in 2013 to replace six means-tested benefits and tax credits: income based Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, income based Employment and Support Allowance and Income Support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure