Reduced hours and possible Redundancy

Options
Hi guys, looking for a little advice here.

I've been working at a company for 10 months now as a manager of the business but on minimum wage *7.83* with the future prospects of the business taking off an increasing our wages etc.

I work our busiest days of the week Sat and Sunday, and a Monday which is used as a maintenance day. so 24 hours per week. Another member of staff works the tue-fri shifts.

The other day my director sat me down and said she wanted to juggle things up however, this would consist of me losing my Monday completely (closing that day) and halving my Sat/Sun shifts completely. I told her that this was not worth my time and that financially what I am paid already makes things tight and that I felt this was some odd attempt to either make me quit or just get me out the door-for reasons unknown.

What makes no sense about this also..is that we have just went and hired someone to do the Tue-Fri shifts, and she wants to hire another person to cross-cover the two weekend days, so basically my hours are being taken and redistributed acros the other staff, which she denies..

The advice I am looking for here is where do I stand with this? I've not sat down with her again as of yet to discuss this, I've looked online at the official government stuff in regards to reduced hours and redundancy etc but its all a bit all over the place.

I few poeple I know have claimed i should point blank refuse reduced hours and demand that the same total hours per week are kept, but placed wherever needed.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :beer:

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've only been working there for ten months they can just get rid of you for any (or no) reason providing it's not because of a protected characteristic (gender, religion etc)

So unfortunately you are not really in a strong position to demand anything....
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Conroy1988 wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking for a little advice here.

I've been working at a company for 10 months now as a manager of the business but on minimum wage *7.83* with the future prospects of the business taking off an increasing our wages etc.

I work our busiest days of the week Sat and Sunday, and a Monday which is used as a maintenance day. so 24 hours per week. Another member of staff works the tue-fri shifts.

The other day my director sat me down and said she wanted to juggle things up however, this would consist of me losing my Monday completely (closing that day) and halving my Sat/Sun shifts completely. I told her that this was not worth my time and that financially what I am paid already makes things tight and that I felt this was some odd attempt to either make me quit or just get me out the door-for reasons unknown.

What makes no sense about this also..is that we have just went and hired someone to do the Tue-Fri shifts, and she wants to hire another person to cross-cover the two weekend days, so basically my hours are being taken and redistributed acros the other staff, which she denies..

The advice I am looking for here is where do I stand with this? I've not sat down with her again as of yet to discuss this, I've looked online at the official government stuff in regards to reduced hours and redundancy etc but its all a bit all over the place.

I few poeple I know have claimed i should point blank refuse reduced hours and demand that the same total hours per week are kept, but placed wherever needed.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :beer:

I'm afraid the only right you have is to hand in your notice and find alternative employment. I can't see you getting redundancy over and above your notice period.

Whilst on the face of it, what the director is proposing to do is not fair to you, it is legal and probably makes business sense to the director. Closing Monday reduces their cost. Having 2 people sharing Sat and Sun provides cover when one is sick or on leave, perhaps productiveness reduces after 4 hours. I'm not saying any of this is true, just how a business might justify their position.

If you enjoy your job, you will need to negotiate and persuade your director why your proposals make better sense, e.g. the maintenance work done on a Monday still needs doing and would detract from customer facing time if done during the other days. Queries arising on a Sat morning can take to Sat afternoon to resolve and handing them to another member of staff is inefficient.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Conroy1988
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, I did think the 2 year thing would come into play.

It just sucks when slots promised then all of a sudden the song changes dramatically. I guess I’ll plead th case about maintanence etc and continue the small hours for however long needed and search for a new job in the meantime that actually has a realistic pay based on skill and position.

Dealing with the universal credit and job centre/housing I’m sure will be a fun experience now haha:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure