Drowning in aqua debt !

Options
After managing without credit for twenty years as a single mum ( previously had credit cards debts in twenties ) I took the slippery slope a couple of years ago and now things have spiralled out of control !

I now have approx £10, 000 of credit card debt, the worst being Aqua with a ridiculous amount of interest to pay.
Part of the reason and accumulation is that I am caring for my 94 bedridden mother and my own work situation has thus decreased to almost nothing .
I am self employed and so I do bits of work when I can .
I have been using the cards to pay bills etc and now cant cope with the high interest payments anymore .

I just coudnt pay the aqua minimum payment at the end of last month , needing to prioritise rent , council tax etc and managed to scrape together the payment for 0% card which wasn't so high .virgin card as yet also not paid .

My mum and I share rent and she gets attendance allowance etc , but practically everything goes into a pretty high rent .
In an ideal situation we would try and move to somewhere smaller and cheaper but I cannot afford to move plus she is to ill and frail to do this .
In the not so distant future I think things will come to a sad end here and I will be forced to move immediately. Although I am not too concerned about myself , knowing that I will struggle to find anywhere to live , allowing dogs and cats , I guess I will then at least be able to up my income . However for the reason of potentially needing to rent again I have been trying to keep my credit score reasonably healthy .
I feel like i am spiralling into a void of debt , but if I could reduce the aqua payment I may be able to at least keep just about afloat .
As yet I haven't contacted them and need to asap . I would prefer to write than speak and Ideally I would like to ask them to freeze interest etc at least for a few moths and accept lower payments .

As the default hasn't shown on the credit file yet, there looks like the option of 95 % chance of applying for a 9 month interest free credit card . I know it will only reduce the amount a little , plus I may get rejected .

If I go down the route of the dmp I would prefer to arrange it myself , but again want to try and preserve my credit score for future renting if needed !

If I find a way of paying Aqua today ( £190) , they will want a similar payment by the end of the month and again by the end of December , which is pretty impossible .

My thought was if I could somehow find a way of keeping the payments going , I could in a few months try for a loan with a lower interest rate to pay off this , but doubt I would be accepted with a unstable income .

The stress is making me ill and I need to keep on top of things for my mother !

I feel like I am going around in circles not knowing the best route !
Sorry I know this is a bit mixed up ! Thats how I feel .

Balance on Aqua : £ 5190. Amount owed immediately £188 ( default )Interest £164
Mimimum payment then due of £240 by the end of this month .

Mbna . £4000. 0% £50 paid

Virgin £2522
£70 owed and £70 due !

Any advise most appreciated .

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you claiming all the relevent benefits you/your mum is entitled to if you have had to cease work to care for her?

Assume its a private rental for such a high rent? Any housing benefit being paid to help?

It won't help with your immediate need to nake payment but may alleviate the situation going forward.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That was my first thought as well. Not just HB but Carers Allowance, Council Tax Support, Local Authority support

There's a calculator and other info here

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Carers

As for the non-priority debts, if they're offering a 0% balance transfer I'd probably take it while you look at your options. But it does sound then like token offers unless you can increase income, with either a debt management plan or a DRO to follow unless the situation changes.

You're right that your health is the most important thing.
  • honeybee_6
    Options
    Thanks for the advise .
    I will look into the help mentioned . Mum gets attendance allowance !
    However I can see things spiralling out of control with Aqua especially and virgin very quickly and need to contact them today !
    Could anyone advise me of the best immediete step forward .
    There is a template letter that I can send via Debt line to put things on hold for a while on here plus step change is mentioned ( speaking to an adviser ) .
    80% of time atm is spent dealing with my mum so I dont have a lot of time to read lots and research the best appoach .
    I dearly didnt want to default but its now happened .
    Any advice much appeciated .
  • fatbelly
    Options
    National Debtline (be careful not to use anyone with a different name) and stepchange are both reputable sources of free advice.

As for Aqua, if you're not going for the 0% balance transfer then you could send them this

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Hold-action-on-your-account-%28sole-name%29.aspx

and if you're sending it to Aqua, why not send it to the others, have a nice Christmas then start to save an emergency fund
  • honeybee_6
    Options
    Thanks very much . By coincidence that was the letter I had printed and sent to Aqua and Virgin .
    I havent as yet sent one to mbna as this is still 0% and a realtic minimum payment .Thanks again
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't worry about your credit score for renting as only you can see it, lenders see your credit history, what landlords, Estate Agent see I don't know but definitely not your score as its a figure provided by the agencies.
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Hi, you need to do a SOA, find the right person to send to.

From your SOA you will have a set account to pay them, stick to it
    Every 3 or 6 months they may contact you to see if your income has changed

Put every out going in your SOA keep it reasonable make sure you can pay them the amount you agreed each month

Deal with the same person all the time ask them if they can freeze the interest and any future charges.

Ask if they can refund any of the interest or charges paid to reduce your balance

Dont asked any phone calls just deal with the same person as iv already said. This is because you get lots of different people calling you and you have to explain it all again

Ok credit rating will suffer and it will take longer to pay it off but you will have peace of mind, sorry rush this a bit but hope this helps
  • honeybee_6
    Options
    Thanks so much .
    I have sent the set letter from national debtline asking them to hold everything for now .
    As i just sent it direct to Aqua ,Im worried it may not get to the right person!
    Would it be worth resending and asking them to freeze interest etc or should I wait to see if they reply ?
    Is it worth explaining the situation with mum etc or is it best not to get too personal ?
    I will get the soa sorted immedietely .
    Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions .
  • fatbelly
    edited 23 November 2018 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Sending the letter to Aqua was the right thing to do.

What are you doing about MBNA and Virgin?

Edit: from what you've said, your mum doesn't need to be involved.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    That was my first thought as well. Not just HB but Carers Allowance, Council Tax Support, Local Authority support

There's a calculator and other info here

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Carers
    honeybee_6 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise .
    I will look into the help mentioned . Mum gets attendance allowance !

So are you getting Carers Allowance and have you checked re Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and any Local Authority support?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure