Drowning in aqua debt !

Options
2»

Comments

• honeybee_6
    Options
    Thanks .
    I have sent the same letter to virgin . But as im on 0% with Mbna not sure what to do . The minimum payment is around £45 per moth . Still a lot , but more managable !
    I would prefer to manage this situation myself but the majority go through Step change etc . What do you think ?
    Do I suggest a managable minimum payment or do they dictate this once they receive my soa ?
    Is there also a chance they wont freeze interst and late paument charges / pass debt on etc if not done through an official source ?
    I guess I need to do more rrading a research ! Its a bit overwhelming ! Thanks again .
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Hi, chase up the letter you sent to Aqua see who/ what department its gone to

When speaking someone it is possible to tell by their manner if you can ask for the charges etc to be stopped, sometimes they offer. I have done this before for other people.

What ever is said in a call write down name, time, what was said etc then confirm in writing.

If you cant when you call get charges etc stopped then putting in writing and ask for it.

Keep everything short and to the point as at the end of the day they only want there money, once they see that you are paying all you can thats it.

There is not much more they can do, they wont go to court as the court will see you are paying all you can.

So waste of time for them, they will forget you once you are paying each month until you come up for review

It is hard at the start but once you give all the details they need and start paying it will be easier and better for you as you will be paying an amount you can afford.

Dont be forced in to paying an amount they want and you cant afford each month.

Woops im going on a bit
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    honeybee_6 wrote: »
    Thanks .
    I have sent the same letter to virgin . But as im on 0% with Mbna not sure what to do . The minimum payment is around £45 per moth . Still a lot , but more managable !
    I would prefer to manage this situation myself but the majority go through Step change etc . What do you think ?
    Do I suggest a managable minimum payment or do they dictate this once they receive my soa ?
    Is there also a chance they wont freeze interst and late paument charges / pass debt on etc if not done through an official source ?
    I guess I need to do more rrading a research ! Its a bit overwhelming ! Thanks again .

For now if you want to keep MBNA ticking over that's OK. But once you are in a debt management plan you're expected to treat creditors equally. Whether £45 is their pro-rata share depends on what falls out of your statement of affairs. You then tell them what their share is.

There is no particular advantage to use stepchange rather than going it alone. Creditors must treat both plans the same - that's in the FCA rules. Having said that it may take a few months for them to freeze interest.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    Of course it's your choice but I was in a similar situation and had the choice of keeping up with debt payments or paying rent and utilities. I chose to let the credit cards default. It was the right choice. If after doing an income and expenditure you find you have more going out than coming in, it will never work. There is only so long you can borrow for. Eventually you will reach saturation. The consequences of not paying a credit card are minimal compared to not paying the rent or buying food.
    My credit score went down to 94! I didn't even know that was possible! A low score won't necessarily stop you renting. I got a place with my 94 score! It's more ccj's or bankruptcy or iva that they check for.
    If you contact the card companies and explain what you can afford then enter into a repayment plan. Don't let them push you into agreeing to pay more than you can afford.
    You say your mum is 94 so are you over 55? Many local authorities provide accommodation for people from 55 onwards, sometimes 60 or 65. Seems to depend on the authority. I've been to some of these places with work and they look nice. Some have wardens and some not but everyone has their own accommodation. Near to where I work most people living in a similar place have their rent paid by housing benefit. There is a mix of ages and abilities. Some very elderly people and some younger who still work. This might be a more affordable option? Depends on savings etc though.
    Good luck and it's nice to hear how you care for your mum.
  • honeybee_6
    Options
    Having not had a reply from Aqua ,I am wondering what to do next .
    Things have lapsed and due to mum becoming increasing worse and taking so much of my time .
    I am just about keeping my head above water and this week had to pay for some nurses to come in and help and she couldnt be left .
    I am now aware that I should be able to get some help with funding the extra help from social services .
    However the cards havent been paid and havent had replies .
    I would prefer not to call . Shall I write again explaining my difficulties ?
    Is it better not to be too personal . I am not expecting any sympathy or need it .
    Could I email , which would be easier as I dont have a printer .
    I want to keep on top of this and would still prefer to be in control but aim just not sure of the best approach !
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,923 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

These are all, what we term, “non priority debts”, you are concentrating on a response from them, when most likely non will be forthcoming, anytime soon, help your mum, she is your priority now, forget about the debts, they will trundle along alright in the background, the creditors will run through their standard collection letters, and eventually they will be passed to collectors or sold on.

The debt collection process can take a long time, you can send the odd letter advising of the situation you find yourself in, but this can all be left and dealt with at a later date.

Millions of people rent who have bad credit, don’t struggle on for the sake of your credit file.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    To paraphrase what I sad earlier 'send the letters, have a nice Christmas then start to save an emergency fund'

You can start paying the pro-rata offers in the new year. For now, don't pay them anything.
  • honeybee_6
    Options
    Thankyou .
    I guess my fear is baliffs ( not that i have anything of value ) , but I realise that wont happen yet !
    It feels wrong to ignore the situation but I will send a letter to each once more as I dont feel up to speaking to anyone .
    Thanks again and enjoy your Christmas too .
    I am hoping to make the best of the time I have with my mum and seeing my daughter. :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,923 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    honeybee_6 wrote: »
    Thankyou .
    I guess my fear is bailiffs (not that i have anything of value) , but I realise that wont happen yet !
    It feels wrong to ignore the situation . :)

We are talking consumer credit act debts, which can only be dealt with by the county court, so if it ever got as far as a bailiff knocking on your door, you would simply not allow them access.

It won`t get to that, with everything debt related, there is a standard process of different stages of law to go through, its knowing when to intervene, and when not too.

For this kind of debt, bailiffs can only be instructed after a county court judgement has been awarded against you, you are a million miles away from that stage yet.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Nual
    Nual Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As others have said, you may be entitled to extra benefits on top of the AA claimed by your mum, especially carers allowence. Social Services may also provide paid carers to help care for your mum. This is awarded following an assessment of her needs, and means tested on her income.

Look to see if you have a Carers Centre near to where you live. Most are brilliant and can help with practical and emotional support, and how to navigate the benefits system and advocate for you with DWP and SS, possibly also with creditors, and can usually respond faster than CAB.

Caring for a loved one can be incredibly stressful on its own, without the financial worries. Contact your local carers Centre and let them take some of the strain. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure